Game board:

We've talked about Advanced A&A... Now I'd like to hear your comments on what YOU envision a DELUXE A&A GAME to be. What would it look like.
Larry

Post by Larry » Mon Feb 05, 2007 6:52 pm

Comments noted
I was thinking about including a “New” map with more territories and on the other side an enlarged regular map.
Marshalling should not be necessary. I’d really like to keep the map as geographically accurate as possible but I know what you mean Krieghund. I have said somewhere… I think 30x50 is too big.

Flying Tiger

Post by Flying Tiger » Mon Feb 05, 2007 7:06 pm

OK OK. I guess we can live with 49"x29" :lol:

Exactly how big are you thinking?
Foolish mortals, I will destroy you all!!!
NOT

Imperious leader

Post by Imperious leader » Mon Feb 05, 2007 8:21 pm

A two sided map idea would bring alot of value to the game. I would then favor a 1939 scenario map one on one side and June 1941 (note: not spring 1942) map as the regular map. The idea of a pre-barbarossa map would be to dramatically increase play options in the following manner:

1) the german player may delay the attack on the Soviets ( lets not use the word Russia because in those days they were called Soviets) for a turn and instead try an africa campaign or something that Hitlers generals wanted.
The Soviets in any case would be able to even attack germany after a turn or two if that didnt if the germans waited too long (perhaps settled by die rolls)

2) the pre- barbarossa setup would allow more flexability for the german player to decide how to conduct his own campaign. One thing i didnt like was the game starting after a point when actually a German victory was not really historically possible.

3) The map that would be 1939 based set up would include France and Italy ( probably recolored british and german pieces-or something more substantial than that.

4) neutrals would also be introduced as all of the german minor axis allies

5) The game should have historical victory conditions and eliminate all of the items that allowed or even fostered the following ideas:

a) inability for defender to retreat
b) inability for land units to attack air units flying above
c) the idea that western allies can actually land in the soviet union territories
d) the idea that the Soviets have the same objectives as the western allies
The game should really be called "The Axis, The Allies and the Soviet Union
e) The idea that carrier planes can attack from a carrier and then land and protect land units as if somehow the naval air elements and dedicated air forces coordinated actions in this manner.
f) Tanks boosted by planes 1/1
g)Mech infantry boosted movement of infantry at 1/1
H) Transports cannot hit air planes
I) subs require search (as per larrys sub search rules)
j) Technology modeled as it is under AARHE
K) limits on infantry builds
L) multiple turn builds for carriers,cruisers,bombers, and battleships
when a ship is being built it can be attacked by planes
M) a deck of historical event cards that are drawn once per turn. These may contain some NA type of benifit or something nasty against the player who draws the card. This adds alot of fun to the game
N) leaders units (carbboard chits with specific combat modifiers)
o) Changes in invasions
P) all axis following by all allies taking turn together
Q) New naval movement: All ships can move 2 spaces in combat and 2 spaces in non-combat, whether thay are involved in combat or not.
R) ports and protection from naval attacks
s) AA gun defense fixed into specific areas as per AARHE
t) Cheaper naval units 20 IPC BB, DD at 10 IP ( attack and defend at 2)
Last edited by Imperious leader on Mon Feb 05, 2007 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
We really need an Axis and Allies World War one game so i can play that on August 1st, 2014.

Larry

Post by Larry » Mon Feb 05, 2007 8:27 pm

Il - That's a fascinating list. All that good thinking all in one place and listed one after the other. Thanks.

Frimmel

Post by Frimmel » Mon Feb 05, 2007 11:35 pm

Flying Tiger wrote:OK OK. I guess we can live with 49"x29" :lol:

Exactly how big are you thinking?
I don't know that 30"x50" is too big. I'm only of average height and can reach all but the very farthest corners of 30"x50" rectangle with my butt still on my chair.

When you need to walk around the table or use sticks to move the units that is "too" big.

I guess most dining room tables are only 24-26 inches wide? Making the 30 too big probably.

Imperious leader

Post by Imperious leader » Mon Feb 05, 2007 11:52 pm

I dont know of any dining table thats 2 feet wide unless its made by Toys R US.

my god the map for revised is like 32 x 20... what is the problem with 18 more inches longer and 10 inches taller? The map is too small by far. Look at the COTE map for eagle and the number of territories... its got less than 1/2 the territories and the map is 4 feet wide!

Certainly if you make the map printed on Nalgahide which takes to printing quite well. it should not be too expensive. I recently bought 4.5 yards of this stuff for 90 bucks and this could make like 5-6 maps.

If your going with another map on the other side with MORE territories then its even more imparative to get a larger map. 50x30 is the minimum it should be if your thinking of adding more territories.
We really need an Axis and Allies World War one game so i can play that on August 1st, 2014.

Frimmel

Post by Frimmel » Tue Feb 06, 2007 12:01 am

What was I thinking? The desk I'm sitting at isn't very deep. Throwing me off.

Big enough that you don't need to take units in a big battle off the map to a battle board. No marshalling markers. Smooth. No valleys. Durable of course. I'm repeating myself aren't I?

Rolls up. Vinyl would be nice. Wipes clean.

Larry

Post by Larry » Tue Feb 06, 2007 12:04 am

comments noted.
Frimmel - yes you are... yes you are...