First photo's

Wacht am Rhein (Watch on the Rhein) was the German code name for this counter offensive. I don't want to hear anybody complaining about the weather this winter unless you were in the Ardennes during the winter of 1944! I simply love playing this game. Check out the new combat system when you can.
Larry

First photo's

Post by Larry » Sun Aug 13, 2006 7:03 pm

Thanks go out to Imperious Leader and of course Elbowmaster for tracking these down....

Link
to Axis & Allies: Battle of the Bulge

More
Axis & Allies: Battle of the Bulge

More
Axis & Allies: Battle of the Bulge
Last edited by Larry on Thu Aug 17, 2006 10:46 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Blair

Post by Blair » Sun Aug 13, 2006 8:05 pm

Lookin' great Larry! 8)

Hey Larry, just out of curiousity, are you able to answer some questions regarding specific things about this new boardgame? Or is written information just like the issue of releasing photos?

Anyways, my question has to deal with combat. I've read about the strips that you pull out from under the board, and I am aware of the 12 sided dice, but I still don't fully comprehend it. If you could give an example of combat, that would be great.

But if you can't talk about it yet, I understand. :D

Larry

Post by Larry » Sun Aug 13, 2006 8:37 pm

Hi Blair,
Let me take a stab at explaining the system – First, don’t make this more complicated then it is…
When you are attacking an enemy “hex” you first need to draw a supply counter. This supply counter must be on the hex that the attack is coming from or on one next to it.

Once you have the supply counter you flip it over and an arrow is shown. This arrow should be placed back on the board and pointed towards the adjoining hex that is being attacked.

The attacking player determines the number of (12 sided) dice he is rolling. He will roll one die for each attacking infantry, 2 dice for each attacking tank and 3 die for each attacking artillery.

Before the attacking dice are rolled, the attacking player pulls down (out) the unit tabs from under the board. There are unit tabs for infantry, armor, artillery, trucks, and supplies. There is also one for aircraft.

For the sake of this example lets say there are 3 defending infantry, 3 defending tanks and one defending artillery… The infantry tab is pulled down far enough to show 3 infantry. The armor tab is pulled down to show 3 tanks and the artillery tab is pulled down showing one artillery unit... Think of these, just pulled down images of units as the “Targets”. Another way to think about this is… You don’t need to place the units on a battleboard. Just pull down the tabs so that they match the type and number of units in the targeted hex.

For the sake of this example we’ll say the attacking force consist of 1 infantry (all infantry roll one die each), one tank (all tanks roll 2 die each) and 1 artillery (all artillery roll 3 die each) This means that the attacking player will roll 6 dice …. Are you following? If not re-read this paragraph.

The 6 attacking dice are rolled and each roll of 6 or less is a HIT. If the attacker rolled the following numbers he’d score 3 hits… 1,2,3, 7,7,12.

These Hit dice (1,2, &3) are now assigned (or placed) on the images of the pulled down tabs. The 3 Hitting dice (in this case) are re-rolled . they are re-rolled because there are more than 6 targets - if there were less, there'd be no reason to re-roll the 3 dice - think about it) The numbers that come up with the re-roll indicate the positions, images, that the dice will be placed on.

Lets say the re-rolled numbers are 3, 6, and 9. The 3 is placed on the 3rd image on the tab – that’s an infantry. The 6 is placed on the 6th image that’s a tank the 9 is placed on the 9th image ??? You say- “there are not 9 images. Well, first of all think of the tabs as bing columns. As you move to the bottom of the first column you move to the top of the 2nd column etc. If you looped back to the first column after counting the 7 images (first the 3 inf’s followed by the 3 tanks and then the 1 Art.) you’d place the 9 on the 2nd infantry image.

These 3 hit units (2 infantry and 1 armor) are forced to retreat. If they were hit twice they’d be eliminated.

Is this clear. Walk through it slowly

This is a little complicated without graphic images to refer to.

After the attacker has fired, the tabs are pushed back up under the board and are ready for the next player to select a target hex to attack. By the way, this is not simultaneous combat. When an attacked hex fires back it fires back with only the units remaining in the hex.

I know this is going to generate more questions then answers but fire away...

Blair

Post by Blair » Sun Aug 13, 2006 8:55 pm

I did have a couple questions regarding the retreating and such, but after thinking about it some more, and re-reading a few things, most of my additional questions were answered.

My main question though is that, does the defending side get to counter-attack right after the first battle has been resolved? (units forced to retreat have already been pushed back and casualties taken off the board). Or does this counter-attack have to wait until that person's next turn?

This question just kind of stemmed from when you mentioned the team fires back. Just curious if I have it right or not.

But really, very excellent example, I understood it fully and I cannot wait to try this game out. Thanks Larry! :D

Larry

Post by Larry » Sun Aug 13, 2006 9:37 pm

Players take turns attacking the others hexes. A good player will be able to identify which hexes are strategically important and thus must be attacked before another etc... Once all the units have fired (on both sides) the round is over. At that point the German always moves first, then the allied player moves.

thoes426

Post by thoes426 » Mon Aug 14, 2006 9:46 am

If the German truck looks as good as the American then we have a winner as far as the pieces go!
too bad there was not a closer shot of the ME 109, but from what i could see I'm very pleased!, VERY PLEASED! :D
Finaly an honest German fighter piece.
The Stuka was great but just did not jive right as a fighter piece.
It's going to feel like forever before this is released, but well worth it when it arrives and i get to play!

Larry -
after reading your tutorial on game combat, without even playing, i like what you have done!
You my friend are a master gamesmith and deserve the "idolistic praise" that has always followed your name.
If i could ever be so lucky to make a game con that you attend and get to shake your hand and thank you in person for all you have done for this game and it's devoted fanbase it would be a grand day indeed, but for now let me write:
Thanks Dude, you freaking rock!

Thoes426 :twisted:
Strength lies not in defense but in attack.
Adolf Hitler

elbowsanchez

Kudos!!

Post by elbowsanchez » Mon Aug 14, 2006 10:05 am

I like what I am seeing and reading, seems the next level of complexity for your D-Day like series. I bet it had a warm reception with the folks who were able to try it with you at Gencon. The board looks great, and I like that it keeps with that time periods feel / rather than the cool and the gang disco feel with revised. Put me down for at least 2 copies Larry. I am stoked about about the new units, a real treat getting the supply units...

enjoy it while you can, I am sure we will pick it apart after release HAHAHA

cheers!!

ES
-The evil Bert & friend

Krieghund

Post by Krieghund » Mon Aug 14, 2006 1:24 pm

The combat system sounds pretty sweet, Larry. Varying unit type strength and automatic casualty selection by unit type ratio built right in to a simple system. Very elegant!

What happens if the same unit is hit more than twice? Are the excess hits wasted or rolled again?
A&A Developer and Playtester

"War is much more fun when you're winning!" - General Martok