Overkill

Thanks for your input todate. Here is a collection of my thinking at this point. Please feel free to participate in this on going discussion. Your contributions are appreciated. Tell your A&A friends about this so they have a chance to voice what they want in A-A&A. I'll update the the original posting as changes and new ideas are adopted or contemplated.
Guerrilla Guy

Overkill

Post by Guerrilla Guy » Fri Mar 25, 2005 8:57 pm

I have always been a proponent of some kind of "rambo" all guns blazing roll advantage where you roll 5-6 extra hits but alas cannot use them. I think it would be a cool way to spice the game by saying for every 3 dice overkill you accumulate over the amount needed your opponent must remove a piece without parting shot.

Example:

3 Rounds of Combat has gone by and you have 7 Infantry, 2 Mechanized, 3 Arm, 1 Fighter, 1 Bomber, remaining vs. 2 Arm, 1 Fighter.

you roll 2 hits with your Infantry 1 with your mech 3 with your Arm and with your Bomber, a total of 7 hits. your opponent has only 3 units giving you an overkill of 4. Your enemy chooses one of his tanks and removes it from play without defending while the other 2 defend as normal.

This would be a simple way to fix the Single-Infantry stack problems if you also say that first-cycle wins entiitle you to move those units that can on to new combat.

my take on it.

GG
"We're airborne. We’re supposed to be surrounded."

Dick Winters to 2nd Lt. George Rice after being told that the 101st Airborne would be surrounded at Bastogne

Games are like my Avatar...

Imperious leader

Post by Imperious leader » Fri Mar 25, 2005 9:26 pm

Well this addresses another important concept thats waiting in the wings as they say. I will soon propose a new idea on land combat which will address this problem. As soon as larry shoots down my previous advanced land combat idea, i will post something where you only roll ONCE in combat. something where you do as they do in a classic wargame. You simply account for the values of both sides, add in terrain , weather, bonus for combined arms, and the attacker rolls once and each side has to possibly , retreat, be eliminated, or take some exchange. Thats way you dont need no dumb "battleboard" any more and dice has less to play in the results, because your taking the qualitative differences in the ratio of opposing forces into account.
We really need an Axis and Allies World War one game so i can play that on August 1st, 2014.