Oil Production

Thanks for your input todate. Here is a collection of my thinking at this point. Please feel free to participate in this on going discussion. Your contributions are appreciated. Tell your A&A friends about this so they have a chance to voice what they want in A-A&A. I'll update the the original posting as changes and new ideas are adopted or contemplated.
Nuclear

Oil Production

Post by Nuclear » Fri Jan 21, 2005 5:22 pm

Along with the IPCs on the board there should be oil rigs that produce OPCs or Oil Production Certificates. Each Oil Rig would give you 5 of these OPCs. Each unit except for infantry, artillery, and AA guns would require oil to build. Also each unit would need oil to operate, so this in away limits how many units there will be on the board. Also it adds realism and makes the Middle East Important in taking. Thats just my two cents.
There are 10 types of people in the world. Those that understand Binary and those that do not.

Guerrilla Guy

Post by Guerrilla Guy » Fri Jan 21, 2005 6:06 pm

This has been discussed in several previous posts... I agree with you that they should play a major role in AAaA... One idea I just started kickin around is with Cards... Cards might give you outrageously sweet battle bonuses (assuming that cards only affect 1 battle) but you must pay oil rescources to get such a powerful punch( to similate lots of more war material put into making such a successful Op)... just an idea...
"We're airborne. We’re supposed to be surrounded."

Dick Winters to 2nd Lt. George Rice after being told that the 101st Airborne would be surrounded at Bastogne

Games are like my Avatar...

Larry

Post by Larry » Tue Jan 25, 2005 9:44 pm

Comments noted
rr/////

Griffey

Oil Production

Post by Griffey » Thu Feb 24, 2005 8:57 pm

Daniel Yergin's book, THE PRIZE, is required reading on this topic.

In it, we learn that America in AD 1940 produced ONE HALF the word's crude oil. Texas alone produced ONE FOURTH the world's crude oil. Outside the oil patch (Texas, Oklahoma, Lousiana), only California among the American states had major production.

Outside of America, on a lower tier, the biggest three producers were the Caucasus, Venezuela, and Mexico (in that order, if I remember right). Then, on a lower tier still, were Persia, northern Iraq (Kirkuk, from whence the British built a pipeline to their naval base at Haifa), and Kuwait.

American geologists were aware of the vast size of the Saudi fields and kept it a closely guarded secret. (Who says Texans are loud?) The Germans and Japanese, indeed all the world, mistakenly believed that the Caucasus was the motherload of world oil reserves. (My grandfather, a Texan geologist for Std. Oil of New Jersey, was one of the few in the know.)

On a lower tier of prodction still were Sumatra and Borneo in the Dutch East Indies, and finally, lower still, was Rumania's famed Ploesti field, the largest producing field in Europe. It was dwarfed by any of the aforementioned fields.

Oil production was a decisive advantage for the Allies. It presents a major challenge to anyone who wants an A&A game that is both realistic and balanced.

Griffey

Oil Production Model (see previous post).

Post by Griffey » Thu Feb 24, 2005 9:27 pm

Only a small fraction of crude oil can be refined into high octane fuel for gasoline engines. A larger fraction of it can be used for the diesel and fuel oil typically used in subs and ships. So it was the gasoline using aircaft and mechanized units that placed the biggest strain on supplies.

OIL RULE
Add 4 IPC to the cost of each fighter or bomber built without an oil point (OP).
Add 3 IPC to the cost of each tank and mechanized infantry unit built without an oil point (OP).
Add 2 IPC to the cost of each ship built without an oil point (OP).
Add (1) IPC to the cost of each submarine built without an oil point.

One oil point can provide oil for a choice from category A), AND a choice from category B):

Choice A): one ship or two subs.
Choice B): one fighter, one bomber, one tank, or one mechanized unit (note: all American infantry are mechanized).

(I know, I know, tanks used diesel. But only a small part of even a tank division was tanks. Most of it ran on gasoline.)

OIL PRODUCTION POINTS
Central USA: 12 OPS
Western USA: 2 OPS
Caucasus: 4 OPS
Venezuela: 2 OPS
Mexico: 2 OPS
Persia: 1 OP
Iraq: 1 OP
Kuwait: 1 OP
Sumatra: 1 OP
Borneo: 1 OP
Balkans: 1 OP

One transport can non-combat move one (1) crude oil point.

(I might have to check on that. I always assume a transport represents 1-2 million tons of shipping. But only a small part of that was oil tanker tonnage. However, that small part was the most important part of any convoy. The whole war depended on the tankers getting through the enemy subs in the Atlantic and Pacific.)

SIMPLE OIL MODEL
A simpler way to model the oil problem which some players might prefer would be to give oil producing territories two values, one IPC valie for the Allies, and a higher IPC value one for the Axis and Japanese.

For example, Borneo might be a 1/4. Or, one could make Borneo worth one IPC, and the Borneo sea zone worth 3 IPC.

For example, Caucasus might be worth 3 IPC to the Russians, and 6 IPC to the Germans.

elbowmaster

Post by elbowmaster » Fri Feb 25, 2005 9:29 pm

i like your oil rules griffey, nice work... 8)

elbowmaster

Re: Oil Production

Post by elbowmaster » Fri Feb 25, 2005 9:33 pm

Griffey wrote: American geologists were aware of the vast size of the Saudi fields and kept it a closely guarded secret. (Who says Texans are loud?) The Germans and Japanese, indeed all the world, mistakenly believed that the Caucasus was the motherload of world oil reserves. (My grandfather, a Texan geologist for Std. Oil of New Jersey, was one of the few in the know.)
great information, the card could read, "grandpa griffey kidnapped for saudi resource information, the value of saudi arabia is now 3"

Griffey

Grandpa Griffey

Post by Griffey » Sat Feb 26, 2005 12:15 pm

The Texan geologist was my mother's father. My pa-pa was an engineer during the war, but had no top secrets.