turns , terrain, and weather

Thanks for your input todate. Here is a collection of my thinking at this point. Please feel free to participate in this on going discussion. Your contributions are appreciated. Tell your A&A friends about this so they have a chance to voice what they want in A-A&A. I'll update the the original posting as changes and new ideas are adopted or contemplated.
Larry

Post by Larry » Sun Dec 26, 2004 10:46 pm

Comments noted
Yeah, you see this whole discussion (weather etc..) requires that I assign a time block to a given turn. I really like leaving it undefined. Everybody makes their own mental calendar this way. If weather does become an optional play every 4th turn would be considered "Winter" and aford certain movement restrictions etc. ( I hate this stuff blaaaa.)

adlertag

Post by adlertag » Mon Dec 27, 2004 8:26 pm

Larry wrote:Comments noted
Yeah, you see this whole discussion (weather etc..) requires that I assign a time block to a given turn. I really like leaving it undefined. Everybody makes their own mental calendar this way. If weather does become an optional play every 4th turn would be considered "Winter" and aford certain movement restrictions etc. ( I hate this stuff blaaaa.)
Me too, Larry, me too.
(My english is bad, I coldnt find "blaaaa" in the word-book)

We dont need weather and winter as long as we got terrain.
Terrain is also easyer to keep track on, since it is printet on map.
Suddenly I startet to love the 12 sidet dice, when I realized that it will make terrain modifiers more realistic.

Winter or Forest. All Sovjet territories (except Ukraina) are basicly forest, with some marshes and mountains. In summer, this territories are hard to move through because of the mud, and low road-standard.
In winter it is easyer to move, because all marshes have freezed solid, and it is impossible to lay mine-fields. Only the cold is a problem. So winter and forest are balancing each other. As long as we got terrain, we dont need weather.

All terrain favour the defender.

CLEAR: Openening fire step, one combat round, plus bonus round to tanks/mech. (reflect Breake-through with exploitation)
FOREST;Opening fire step, one combat round. No bonus round.
MOUNTAIN: Opening fire step, one combat round. No bonus round.

Based on D 12.

CLEAR:Infantry attack on 4, defend on 4
FOREST: Infantry attack on 3, and defend on 5
MOUNTAIN: Infantry attack on 2, and defend on 6

MOVE: Tanks and Mech can only move one in forest and mountain.
So now we can get moscow in West-Russia where it belong. Since Belo and Karelia are forests with one move, and moving through clear Ukraine will be an extra territory anyway.

elbowmaster

Post by elbowmaster » Mon Dec 27, 2004 8:58 pm

blaaaaa = send all your single sexy norwegian women to elbowmaster, oh yeah, and money too ;)

too funny adlertag, i back up your D6 suggestions, then your light goes on, and you switch to D12...!!!

nice of you to join us!! i like your suggestions for modifiers as well...

also think terrain vs weather is a good compromise...

Imperious leader

Post by Imperious leader » Mon Dec 27, 2004 10:24 pm

yea what up with that??? adlertag... at least you have come to your sences and ill give you props for waking up and smelling the coffee.
We really need an Axis and Allies World War one game so i can play that on August 1st, 2014.

adlertag

Post by adlertag » Tue Dec 28, 2004 5:58 am

Please stay to the subject, you two.
L-Bow, FRANKLY, I dont controll the Norvegian Bunny-teens, but you can always ask Larry to make a mold, it will look even better after you paint it.

I turned to D 12 because Larry said so.
In all his post uptil this, he was not sure if he wantet to change, and I showed him it was not neccessary.

Now we are all in accord, Air-to-Air with fighters and AA-guns in opening fire step, one combat round for land units, with bonus round to Combined Arms (Tanks, mech. and fighter), plus 3 types of terrain, clear, forest and mountain, naval combat is identified as Manouver Warfare and work different with multiple rounds of combat, but both sides may retreat or submerge.We use D 12.
We got both SBR and ENR.
Neutral and Pro-neutrals are in play, what more can I ask for ?

-Germany get me 109 as fighter and keep stuka, and get Panther Tanks from A&A Europe, not the skinny from revised.
UK get Mathilda as Tanks.
The box come with TRAYS WITH SET-UP ON LID.
A map where water looks like water, and land have terrain. (This is the reason I am here, I loved 2ed. AAE and AAP, but got pissed off when I opened Revised and looked at some satanic BLACK map. Day after I was on Harrisgamedesign and rest is history.)

Thank you Larry.

Imperious leader

Post by Imperious leader » Tue Dec 28, 2004 2:08 pm

i aggree with that except the idea bout special lids with gold plated boxes for the silver plated pieces... :wink:
We really need an Axis and Allies World War one game so i can play that on August 1st, 2014.

Larry

Post by Larry » Thu Dec 30, 2004 7:31 pm

Comments noted
aaah Norwegian bunnies. Makes ya want to go skiing in July
//////

elbowmaster

Submission from Adlertag -example of terrain

Post by elbowmaster » Tue Mar 01, 2005 9:43 pm