turns , terrain, and weather

Thanks for your input todate. Here is a collection of my thinking at this point. Please feel free to participate in this on going discussion. Your contributions are appreciated. Tell your A&A friends about this so they have a chance to voice what they want in A-A&A. I'll update the the original posting as changes and new ideas are adopted or contemplated.
Imperious leader

turns , terrain, and weather

Post by Imperious leader » Wed Dec 22, 2004 11:01 pm

I propose the game turns are as follows:

1. Winter 1942 (actually dec 7th 1941)
2. spring 1942
3. summer 1942
4. fall 1942
5. Winter 1943
6. Spring 1943
7. Summer 1943
8. Fall 1943
9. Winter 1944
10. Spring 1944
11.summer 1944
12.fall 1944
13.winter 1945
14.spring 1945
15. summer 1945

weather effects can be broken into two zones namely a northern temperate and a southern temperate zone. the territories that are effected by weather are to be outlined on paper with a grafic representation of the board with highlights.

you can have clear, rain/mud,or snow results possible
the player who has initiative ( i will explain this in another section rolls for weather at the start of each complete turn.
clear: no effect

mud/ rain: reduce movement for armor class units -1, no invasions possible,possible unavaliability of some air missions, possible -1 combat modifier on any attacking air unit (or land unit)

snow: level 1 moderate + 1 on all defense, no air attacks, no invasions-1 on movement of armor, possible -2 to air movement

snow : level 2 severe +2 on all defense, no air , no invasions, reduction of all non combat moves by -1, no air missions at all

terrain:

marsh: unit movement stops if you enter this area, +1 for defense (land)

mountains: unit movement stops, +2 for defence, no strategic redeployment thru this area.

desert: movement uneffected, +1 for defense

Note that results are cumulative so a infantry in the marsh in severe snow gets a total of +3 defense.
We really need an Axis and Allies World War one game so i can play that on August 1st, 2014.

Larry

Post by Larry » Wed Dec 22, 2004 11:32 pm

Comments noted
IL -I’d consider putting this or something like it in the game but only as an option. I agree that weather played a great role during WWII. There might even be a game or two that I like to play with this option. But, indeed – it should remain only an option.
Again, thanks for your contribution of great ideas.

adlertag

Post by adlertag » Thu Dec 23, 2004 4:56 pm

Larry.

If terrain and weather become an option, then the map must have territories with mountains, and marshes, and for winter the must be some kind of "Arctic zone" like in "World in Flames"

If we analyze the battles of ww2, we will quickly see that infantry and artillery could work as normal in all terrain and weather.

Terrain and weather had most impact on tanks and motorized units and aircrafts.

Mountains and snow also favour the defender.

This will open some alternative National Advances, like Germany have Gebirgs-jaeger (mountain troops) and Sovjet have Siberians (ski-troops).

I love terrain and weather, please atleast make it an option.

Larry

Post by Larry » Thu Dec 23, 2004 5:08 pm

NO - and don't ask again you Norwegian snowman.

Imperious leader

Post by Imperious leader » Thu Dec 23, 2004 5:09 pm

If your gonna make an advanced game then it should be at least an optional rule. Yes weather was a huge factor, it was the only qualified reason why germany lost the war in russia. It hitler had clear weather we would have to learn german by now...
We really need an Axis and Allies World War one game so i can play that on August 1st, 2014.

elbowmaster

Post by elbowmaster » Thu Dec 23, 2004 5:15 pm

i agree with the thought of optional weather...works nicely for russia in games that we used it...our's isnt as complex...

para phrase from butler.

1 - 3 no affect
4 - 6 all inf defend on 3 or (d12 / 6)

simple...all we do is use a weather icon / token to represent this...many games somehow force a german stall, just when all seem hopeless...the weather could / can change the initiative...

we like terrain rules to, similar to adlertags...certain areas with mountains, we do not allow a "blitz" move...easy to see those areas on a topo map ;)

Larry

Post by Larry » Thu Dec 23, 2004 5:19 pm

Comments noted

Ok, ok, ok - Optional weather. (maybe)

adlertag

Post by adlertag » Fri Dec 24, 2004 6:31 pm

I will propably get a finger, but so.

I dont want a turn to be 6 months. If ships move 2 , they will not be able to cross Atlantic in 6 months, and that is so crazy, my stomach hurts.
In real world, any ship can cross Atlantic in 2 weeks.

For estethic reasons, a turn must be 3 months.
Then we can divide a year into 4 seasons, Spring, Summer, Fall and Winter.
When all players have finnished a turn, lets call it a season.

In Winter season , we have snow in North Temperate Zone.

That means Germany have 3 seasons to attack Sovjet, before they are stopped by weather, and loosing their initiativ.

In a 1939 start-line, Germanys army in Poland must attack and occupie Belo-Russia in Spring-turn, then take West-Russia in Summer-turn.
Now they must succeed in taking Moscow during the Fall-turn, or they will be stopped by snow, lose the initiativ, and face a long-time war by attrition.

Or with Revised set-up, Winter 1942 start-line, they must take Moscow in 3 turns, unless they want a long-time war.

Please no personal remarks, I just want to see a challenging A&A game.