How this game might look

Thanks for your input todate. Here is a collection of my thinking at this point. Please feel free to participate in this on going discussion. Your contributions are appreciated. Tell your A&A friends about this so they have a chance to voice what they want in A-A&A. I'll update the the original posting as changes and new ideas are adopted or contemplated.
Flashman

Post by Flashman » Wed Dec 22, 2004 11:40 am

In reply to Larry's map questions:

Pripet Marsh, as Elbowmaster stated, is an impassable territory along the border of White Russia and Ukraine. This was of vital importance in planning Barbarossa, as armoured units could not cross the marshes to reinforce other army groups. It was also a major centre of partizan activity.

I consider Denmark to be a combined land/sea/island zone. Land movement is possible from Germany, but not from Sweden. I think this is the best solution to the Denmark problem.

The purple areas represent Chinese Communists, which I have controlled by USSR, just as the light green areas are US supported Chinese Nationalists. There are some specific rules for these, such as placing Chinese infantry without the need for ICs. I even allow for the Chinese factions to attack each other. (Which they seem to have done as much of as fighting the Japanese!)

If you can divide west USA in two I can do the same with the east.

French West Africa and Madagascar were Vichy controlled in Spring '42 just the same as was FNA (Morocco-Algeria-Tunisia). That's why I've suggested giving these territories to Italy to beef it up a little.

You might give the Germans a Quebequoise volunteer bonus if they ever capture Montreal...

Incidentally, I also prefer Turkey, Egypt and Panama to be treated as one territory each with a canal running through them.

Larry, I'm also interested in how you feel about the placing of Moscow?
Do you feel that putting the Soviet capital in it's correct location effectively "gives it to Germany" and thus breaks the game, or do you feel that, perhaps in conjunction with the improved USSR-Japan non-aggression rule I proposed earlier, that it's now time to put it where it really is on all the maps?

Larry

Post by Larry » Wed Dec 22, 2004 12:19 pm

Comments noted
The positioning of Moscow very much depends on the map. There must be a reasonable distance between Moscow and Berlin… that’s the playground.

Its funny … I considered making the Pripet marsh impassable but was sure I couldn’t get away with that. It was very much a battlefield.. Granted, it was not great for passing tanks but still to make it dead zone?

I can’t bring myself to give Italy anything that was not historically controlled by it.

I decided long ago that I did not want to get into the Chinese Communist thing. In an advanced game I guess it should be there.

As for another territory for the US – Why not. It’s a big country.

Good point about Egypt and Turkey

adlertag

Post by adlertag » Fri Dec 24, 2004 5:12 pm

Larry wrote:

I can’t bring myself to give Italy anything that was not historically controlled by it.
But in Revised you did gave the Axis something they did not have historically- much ipc's.

adlertag

Post by adlertag » Fri Dec 24, 2004 5:21 pm

Larry wrote: Its funny … I considered making the Pripet marsh impassable but was sure I couldn’t get away with that. It was very much a battlefield.. Granted, it was not great for passing tanks but still to make it dead zone?
Terrain like marshes, forest and mountains usualy effects motorized units like tanks and mech.inf. And to some degree aircrafts.

Infantry and artillery do business as usual.

Terrain like marshes, forest and montains favour the defender, so they should have some modifier.

TERRAIN RULE
All units defend on 3 or less. (D6)

Tanks attack on 1.

adlertag

Post by adlertag » Sun Dec 26, 2004 5:41 am

Dont forget:

1. TRAY WITH SET-UP ON LID.(set-up chard from revised with pictures of units was good idea, but should have black letters on white paper. )

2.SMALLER DIAMETER CHIPS.(for saving space)

Maybe the trays can be attached to map, somehow. And since all South-America is impassable, maybe the BATTLEBOARD can be printed there.

Imperious leader

Post by Imperious leader » Sun Dec 26, 2004 3:07 pm

one idea that i have been twisting about is to place the battleboard directly on the map ( on a deadspace -probably lower right corner) That way you save costs plus we also get a place to put purchases. lastly , the board is made with quality not paper or cardboard. Just an idea. Also id like to have a turn chart on the side of the board to show season and year. Last idea would be to have the weather effects printed on this turn scale as historically occured so you dont have to roll. Remember we are playing in THIS period of history... the winters were not controllable they just happenend so perhaps it would help.
We really need an Axis and Allies World War one game so i can play that on August 1st, 2014.

Orillian

Post by Orillian » Sun Dec 26, 2004 3:20 pm

regarding the battle board......who actually uses it? Not to get mean towards anyone that does..but, once the people I game with figured out what was going on in A&A we simply stopped using the battle board alltogether. Even the last two tournaments I played in the battle board was never used. The ref. simply watched the battle and the placement and removal of units from the contested zone.

It's good to have a s areference chart. but in all honesty. I'd prefer an actual reference chart with everyones unit stats on it. Especially now that larry is playing around with the idea of having alternate stats based on the country your playing. a battle board with all those extra placement options as well as the new units will simply get insanely large or crowded.

Even a full unit reference chart for EACH player. that way each person can have quick access to the values of the enemy units he's fighting against. making it easier to devise stratagy.

Orillian

TMTM

Post by TMTM » Sun Dec 26, 2004 4:07 pm

My friends are already too crazy when it comes to playing A&A... they yell and throw things.. if even a bit of confusion was to start over which unit you just roll etc... would cause a big fight... plus you put down a few beers while playing and that battle board helps keep ya straight! hehe :)