ATTACK AND DEFENSE NUMBERS: Sea Based

Thanks for your input todate. Here is a collection of my thinking at this point. Please feel free to participate in this on going discussion. Your contributions are appreciated. Tell your A&A friends about this so they have a chance to voice what they want in A-A&A. I'll update the the original posting as changes and new ideas are adopted or contemplated.
Imperious leader

Post by Imperious leader » Mon Dec 20, 2004 10:36 pm

Id avoid all this and make the values the same, except just change the price based on nation. Russia gets cheaper men, germany gets cheaper subs, Japan gets cheaper planes, USA gets cheaper trannies, UK gets cheaper warships. etc.
We really need an Axis and Allies World War one game so i can play that on August 1st, 2014.

Lobo

Post by Lobo » Tue Dec 21, 2004 12:33 am

If you go with different A/D values for each nation, then each nation should get its own battleboard to help keep things straight during combat.

I agree with lowering the values for Carriers. This will encourage more destroyer building which is what we want. I think carriers need to be bumped up in price to 18 since they are two hit now.

Imperious leader

Post by Imperious leader » Tue Dec 21, 2004 1:16 am

Ok i spend about 3-4 hours on this and i have revised values and costs for each nation as follows: Note: ...Attack// Defence// Cost all sea units move two except consider destroyers moving 3 spaces. All ships take one hit except Battleship , Carrier and possibly the Cruiser unit take two hits. The repair for each unit is : BB= 1d12, CA/ CV +d10. Cruisers are basically battlecruisers or heavy cruisers. They should have the same ability to stay afloat as carriers. The cost of the cruisers should in this case be increased somewhat. Im not too happy with the naval numbers as i am with the land. I dont like the fact that nations fit too closely into catagories. The values are looking too much like italy/ russia are the same , and japan and USAre the same, while uk and Germany are the same. Ill adjust this soon. Revision #3

Germany:
battleships: 8/7/ 21
cruisers: 6/5/13
destroyers: 4/3/6
submarines: 4/4/7
carrier: 2/6/13
transport: 0/2/8

Japan:
battleships: 8/8/20
cruisers: 6/6/12
destroyers: 3/3/7
submarines: 4/3/8
carrier: 3/6/12
transport: 0/2/7

Italy:
battleships: 7/7/22
cruisers: 5/5/14
destroyers: 2/3/8
submarines: 3/3/9
carrier: 2/5/14
transport: 0/1/9

Russia:
battleships: 7/7/22
cruisers: 5/5/14
destroyers: 2/3/8
submarines: 3/3/9
carrier: 2/5/14
transport: 0/1/9

UK:
battleships: 8/7/21
cruisers: 6/5/13
destroyers: 3/3/7
submarines: 4/3/8
carrier: 2/6/13
transport: 0/2/8

USA:
battleships: 8/8/20
cruisers: 6/6/12
destroyers: 4/3/6
submarines: 4/4/7
carrier: 3/6/12
transport: 0/2/7

The numbers have been very carefully adjusted so that some nations get better ships for cheaper compared to others and yet the cost compared to the same nations other warships is realistic compared to the value of the unit that your buying.
Last edited by Imperious leader on Tue Dec 21, 2004 2:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
We really need an Axis and Allies World War one game so i can play that on August 1st, 2014.

elbowmaster

Post by elbowmaster » Tue Dec 21, 2004 1:35 am

Lobo wrote:If you go with different A/D values for each nation, then each nation should get its own battleboard to help keep things straight during combat.
absolutely!!

Larry

Post by Larry » Tue Dec 21, 2004 1:42 am

Il – Thanks for taking a look at this and approaching it from another direction. I personally like the system I proposed. At the same time I don’t like your numbers. I’d be interested in what others think about this issue. I will say that each nation will have its own BattleBoard. There should be no problems with remembering the values etc…

Imperious leader

Post by Imperious leader » Tue Dec 21, 2004 1:51 am

I was just trying to work the numbers within your system but to give them a spread , but ill tell you its hard to bring the units their character with the d10 system. But as i stated it before i have to work with what i got. My feeling is that your values are nice but they are too similar is you compare the units from one type to another. From where i see they are too alike with similiar values to be even bothered with having different values by nation. The other point is the axis totals are allways below the allies. This will lead to imbalances soon unless the axis get a good start. As allways i remain to serve. Your Imperous--

Larry

Post by Larry » Tue Dec 21, 2004 1:58 am

You're making some great points. Let me digest this.
I’m interested in knowing how other react to the two systems. Is one more interesting and not intimidating or confusing.
Great work!

Krieghund

Post by Krieghund » Tue Dec 21, 2004 12:42 pm

Larry, I think the idea of varying unit prices is less confusing than varying combat values. You only need one battle board, and you only need to think about the differences when you are purchasing units, rather than all the time. Let's face it, most advanced players don't use the battle board anyway! :wink:
A&A Developer and Playtester

"War is much more fun when you're winning!" - General Martok