ATTACK AND DEFENSE NUMBERS: Land Based

Thanks for your input todate. Here is a collection of my thinking at this point. Please feel free to participate in this on going discussion. Your contributions are appreciated. Tell your A&A friends about this so they have a chance to voice what they want in A-A&A. I'll update the the original posting as changes and new ideas are adopted or contemplated.
Krieghund

Post by Krieghund » Thu Mar 24, 2005 5:47 pm

I believe that the difference in quality/effectiveness between units of different nations is best depicted by price. Giving nations with more effective units a lower price on them allows them to field more of them, thus increasing the number of dice they get to roll. This way, any difference needs to be referenced only at purchase time, and no special battle boards are necessary.
A&A Developer and Playtester

"War is much more fun when you're winning!" - General Martok

Imperious leader

Post by Imperious leader » Thu Mar 24, 2005 6:54 pm

No special battleboards would be necessary since now this board would look like my battleboards (e.g. numbers 1-12 on each side of a rectangle board with attacker on one side and defender on the other with a line drawn between them). The unit " icon" idea of past battleboards is over.

The quality/avalibility of troops should be reflected in both the price and values.

Plentiful russian infantry thats weak would have lower attacking values AND at the same time be cheaper to buy. This way its accurate. if all the infantry had the same values we are saying that they have the same attributes in combat which is hardly the case when we compare a corp level unit between one army and another. So going back to the russian example, Soviet player will have a greater quantity of weaker infantry, while Germany will have fewer, but more powerful Infantry costing more and thats historically accurate. The level of complexity is very small to achieve this.
We really need an Axis and Allies World War one game so i can play that on August 1st, 2014.

elbowsanchez

Post by elbowsanchez » Thu Mar 24, 2005 7:15 pm

KLINK!!! change your location to STALAG 13 ;)
-The evil Bert & friend

Imperious leader

Post by Imperious leader » Thu Mar 24, 2005 7:34 pm

Javol Herr komandant ! :shock:
We really need an Axis and Allies World War one game so i can play that on August 1st, 2014.

adlertag

Post by adlertag » Sun Mar 27, 2005 5:33 pm

Russian units was strong in the winter.
German units was strong in summer.

Lets say a turn is 6 months, then one turn are winter, and the next turn are summer.

In winter combat all russian units recive a +1 to both attack and defence .
In winter combat all other units suffer -1 to both attack and defence.

In summer combat all units have regulare values, except German tanks, wich can roll two dices in attack.

Imperious leader

Post by Imperious leader » Sun Mar 27, 2005 8:55 pm

How come only russian units are better in winter? The germans were only unprepared for winter fighting since they expected a quick campaign. So why not just make the DEFENDER in snow get a modifier? Summer/spring should be no modifier. When does a combat unit fight at normal values? You have too many modifiers and you over salt the soup.

Col. Klink -- Stalag 13

adlertag

Post by adlertag » Mon Mar 28, 2005 4:42 am

Sovjet Tanks, Artillery guns and Aircrafts was designed for winter combat.
Sovjet men loved snow and cold.
Sovjet Campaign season was traditionaly in winters.

German Tanks, Artillery guns and Aircrafts was designed for summer combat.
German men loved summer and sun.
German Campaign season was traditionaly in summers.

Winter combat are different from summer combat.
1. Defenders get no support from mine-fields.
2. Rivers, lakes and marshes are frozen, and give greater mobility.
3.The freezing cold kills more men than bullets.

Imperious leader

Post by Imperious leader » Mon Mar 28, 2005 5:34 pm

And the other SIX nations that take part in the game have no effects with snow or weather? This snow "thing" is only for Ukraine which is basically Germany and Soviet problem? Come on adlertag what choo talkin bout?