Tech and National Advantages

Thanks for your input todate. Here is a collection of my thinking at this point. Please feel free to participate in this on going discussion. Your contributions are appreciated. Tell your A&A friends about this so they have a chance to voice what they want in A-A&A. I'll update the the original posting as changes and new ideas are adopted or contemplated.
Larry

Post by Larry » Wed Dec 22, 2004 12:28 am

Comments noted

Flashman

Post by Flashman » Wed Dec 22, 2004 8:49 am

I agree that tech should be the same for each nation, however I think for 1942 USSR should already have heavy tanks. This was a vital factor on the eastern front and forced Germany to build bigger and better armoured tanks.
I would also like to see for tech:

1. Separate pieces to denote tech units, even if its just pieces in a different shade.
2. No magic conversions. If you get Jet Power, it should only apply to units built after you acquire the tech. (This also effectively solves the "Sealion" problem as it creates a built-in delay.)
3. A +1 unit cost for tech units to reflect greater costs. Germany spent a great deal of time and money developing expensive tech units, while the allies preferred the mass production of a few basic types.

Larry

Post by Larry » Wed Dec 22, 2004 9:06 am

Comments noted

thoes426

Post by thoes426 » Thu Dec 23, 2004 4:15 pm

Technology and NA's should not be dropped from A:A&A totally, they should still be an option each player or group decides to use or not before the game starts.
Some games i'm "Tech Happy" and roll like there is no tomorrow for the stuff, and others i laugh at those who do.
But it's nice to have the choice.

I think between us all we could create a new and improved Tech tree, and give the NA's a second look - dropping some, fixing others, and introducing new ones.

I do not think allowing the USA to have the same NA's as Japan or any other country is going to work.
I think each country should have it's own unique Techs and NA's so that the only differance between the countries is not piece color and starting position on the map. Each country should have a uniqueness to it.

Thoes426 :twisted:
Strength lies not in defense but in attack.
Adolf Hitler

Larry

Post by Larry » Thu Dec 23, 2004 4:29 pm

Comments noted
Yes –each country should probably have a uniqueness to it.
I also think that NA’s and Tech should be optional and not standard play mechanics

elbowmaster

Post by elbowmaster » Thu Dec 23, 2004 6:16 pm

we generally award technology on a time scale...if we even use it at all...have yet to game revised with it...

Larry

Post by Larry » Sun Dec 26, 2004 11:17 pm

Comment noted

Krieghund

Post by Krieghund » Fri Jan 07, 2005 10:13 am

How about this idea for a tech research system:

Each tech requires a certain number of "research points" to achieve. For each 5 IPCs invested in research, roll one d12 and add the number to your research points total for that tech. When the required total is achieved, the tech is yours.

Advantages of this system:
  • 1. Certain techs are harder to get than others.
    2. You will always get a tech eventually if you research it long enough.
    3. Some techs can have research point totals higher than 12 so that it is impossible to get them with one roll.
    4. Some techs can have different "levels" of effectiveness/points.
You may also want to limit the number of dice purchased for a single tech per turn.
A&A Developer and Playtester

"War is much more fun when you're winning!" - General Martok