Retreats

Thanks for your input todate. Here is a collection of my thinking at this point. Please feel free to participate in this on going discussion. Your contributions are appreciated. Tell your A&A friends about this so they have a chance to voice what they want in A-A&A. I'll update the the original posting as changes and new ideas are adopted or contemplated.
elbowmaster

Retreats

Post by elbowmaster » Sun Dec 19, 2004 10:15 pm

comments about Retreats...
larry wrote:Retreats: Both attacking and defending players can elect to retreat during land and sea battles. Instead of rolling the dice at the normal moment of rolling, the player elects to retreat. There should be a penalty for retreating. Perhaps the “Non-retreating” player gets an additional parting roll.
Last edited by elbowmaster on Mon Mar 07, 2005 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

thoes426

Post by thoes426 » Mon Dec 20, 2004 1:37 pm

Very good idea, very good!
and the non-retreating player should get to fire once more at the fleeing units, yes i like that alot!

Thoes426 :twisted:
Strength lies not in defense but in attack.
Adolf Hitler

Larry

Post by Larry » Mon Dec 20, 2004 6:13 pm

comments noted

Imperious leader

Post by Imperious leader » Mon Dec 20, 2004 10:08 pm

This rule is exactly what is in a game im working on (not mine), In this example either side can retreat fully or partially, while if the defender retreats fully then the attacker gets a free roll . The defender does not get this if the attacker retreats. Partial retreats are possible but the extra hits in the final combat roll may be applied to the retreating units. Example: defender leaves 4 infantry but retreats a tank and 2 artillery pieces. Attacker rolls in the next combat round and gets 5 hits , so the defender loses the 4 infantry, plus one of the defending units. In sea battles ships just retreat ( no final shots). If planes are dispatched from adjacent territories on the first round of combat to provide defensive ground support, then they arrive on round two. All air hits are applied to air units before land units take a hit. Bombers used in defensive air support use their defence factor. If units retreat after a bad roll , the dispatched air units simply turn back to base rather then get stuck in a lost battle.
We really need an Axis and Allies World War one game so i can play that on August 1st, 2014.

Larry

Post by Larry » Tue Dec 21, 2004 10:40 pm

Comments noted

Flashman

Post by Flashman » Wed Dec 22, 2004 7:51 am

Hallelujah!

I've campaigned long and hard for defender retreats in Axis and Allies:

http://boards.avalonhill.com/showthread.php?t=905

http://boards.avalonhill.com/showthread.php?t=2901

http://boards.avalonhill.com/showthread.php?t=2902

Now I've got Larry on my side it looks like the tide is turning at last!

Larry

Post by Larry » Wed Dec 22, 2004 10:02 am

Comments noted
Let's just say I'm thinking about it. :wink:

adlertag

Re: Retreats

Post by adlertag » Sat Dec 25, 2004 3:00 pm

elbowmaster wrote:comments about Retreats...
larry wrote:Retreats: Both attacking and defending players can elect to retreat during land and sea battles. Instead of rolling the dice at the normal moment of rolling, the player elects to retreat. There should be a penalty for retreating. Perhaps the “Non-retreating” player gets an additional parting roll.
Adlertag too support this, thank you Larry.