Submarines

Thanks for your input todate. Here is a collection of my thinking at this point. Please feel free to participate in this on going discussion. Your contributions are appreciated. Tell your A&A friends about this so they have a chance to voice what they want in A-A&A. I'll update the the original posting as changes and new ideas are adopted or contemplated.
elbowmaster

Post by elbowmaster » Mon Dec 20, 2004 9:51 pm

yeah that sub stall rule drove me mad!!! MUAHAHAHAHAHA...

thoes426

Post by thoes426 » Tue Dec 21, 2004 12:06 pm

Larry -
so are you thinking that units attempting to seek out and destroy subs would first have to make a "Detection Roll"?
If so, I think this is a good idea.
Perhaps the DD piece would have a higher detection roll than other naval units to give it a unique purpose, the same could go for Bombers, which could be stay airborne longer than fighters, thus giving them more time to spot subs.

Thoes426 :twisted:
Strength lies not in defense but in attack.
Adolf Hitler

Larry

Post by Larry » Tue Dec 21, 2004 12:19 pm

Thoes – Giving the DD’s and bombers a higher detection roll is a great idea. DD’s world of course be the best.

Krieghund

Post by Krieghund » Tue Dec 21, 2004 12:51 pm

I like the direction this is going...
A&A Developer and Playtester

"War is much more fun when you're winning!" - General Martok

elbowmaster

Post by elbowmaster » Tue Dec 21, 2004 1:11 pm

same here, i like the detection direction!!

adlertag

Post by adlertag » Tue Dec 21, 2004 1:28 pm

Subs must be able to do both ENR and naval combat.

In every major naval battle in ww2, there was a submarin screen to protect the surface ships.
Please read the books. This game must have some link to reality.

Larry

Post by Larry » Tue Dec 21, 2004 10:16 pm

Comments noted
Adlertag – “Reality” – what an interesting concept.

I’m tempted to simply declare the following combat system for subs that participate in naval combat. They attack at their designed number and defend a their designed number. That’s it. It’s no different for any other ship. What makes a sub different is the role it plays when “On station”. You move in and if an enemy sub is there, it shoots at you. If you can locate it you can attack it back.

On the other hand – if you want to clear a sea zone of subs that are “On station” you can. Again you must dedicate a DD or aircraft to the effort. If you role the necessary number you can take a shot at it. If not you missed end of story. So… to attack this sub you must do two things right. Role the right numbers to locate it and then role the right numbers to sink it.

Flashman

Post by Flashman » Wed Dec 22, 2004 9:33 am

I once proposed that subs should have a "hit-and-run" ability, whereby they can move one space, attack shipping there, and then after combat move back to their original sea zone. This was intended as a means of protecting subs from aircraft attacks, which almost inevitably wiped them out after they made any attacking moves, something which was a real problem in AAE. Ideally, subs should be based in areas outside enemy aircraft range to use this method successfully.

However, I believe that subs will only ever come into their own when they gain a stealth ability, i.e. the ability to disappear from enemy sight until they choose to surface or attack, or until detected by destroyers. This will mean players writing down sub moves in secret which may put many people off the idea, but only this will make them true submarines.

Another important factor will be the width of the Atlantic ocean. If the Allies can hop accross from USA to England in one move the U-boats will never stand much chance of stopping them. Historically, this was the closest the Germans ever came to winning the war in the west.