Transports

Thanks for your input todate. Here is a collection of my thinking at this point. Please feel free to participate in this on going discussion. Your contributions are appreciated. Tell your A&A friends about this so they have a chance to voice what they want in A-A&A. I'll update the the original posting as changes and new ideas are adopted or contemplated.
elbowmaster

Transports

Post by elbowmaster » Sun Dec 19, 2004 10:11 pm

comments about Transports...
larry wrote:Transports: May not control a sea zone by themselves. They have no attack ability and have a defense ability of 1 (intentionally low).
Transports can no longer be used as cannon fader. Transports cannot be designated as loses if other types of ships are present.
Last edited by elbowmaster on Mon Mar 07, 2005 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Krieghund

Post by Krieghund » Mon Dec 20, 2004 1:23 pm

Excellent!
A&A Developer and Playtester

"War is much more fun when you're winning!" - General Martok

Larry

Post by Larry » Mon Dec 20, 2004 6:20 pm

The cost of doing naval war business just went up... Too much?

Imperious leader

Post by Imperious leader » Mon Dec 20, 2004 6:48 pm

transports:

Transports:
Transports have no attack capability. However, transports can move up to 2 sea zones and load up to 2 ground units for amphibious assaults and 3 ground units when transporting to friendly territories. Note that armor units count as 2 for loading purposes. For example, a transport may move a sea zone, pick up an armor unit and infantry unit, move another sea zone, then unload onto another friendly territory or island. An amphibious assault occurs when transports unload ground units into enemy territory. A transport’s movement ends when it unloads.
Ground units may not move before loading into or after unloading from transports. During its turn, a transport may only load units from one territory and may only unload units into one territory. Transports may not load from or unload to an enemy-occupied sea zone, unless all enemy naval units have previously retreated/withdrawn from Naval Combat.

now on the topic of retreats:

Naval Evacuations
Attacking ground units in amphibious assaults may evacuate and retreat to their transports; however, each armor and artillery unit must first be converted to an infantry unit. Defending ground units may also retreat onto friendly transports in adjacent sea zones. Again, each armor and artillery unit must be converted to an infantry unit. In both cases, the evacuating transports may not move, but if possible, they may each transport up to three infantry units to an adjacent friendly territory. Ground units in excess of transport capacity may not retreat.

I agree that they are not to be considered able to be used to occupy the sea zone for control purposes. Second when planes attack them alone , they should not have any capacity to "destroy " planes. The defence roll of no highter than "one" with a d10 should apply against ships only . Nothing more horrible than germany losing 20 % of her airforce which often cant be rebuilt by losing planes sinking defenseless tankers and liberty ships.
We really need an Axis and Allies World War one game so i can play that on August 1st, 2014.

Larry

Post by Larry » Mon Dec 20, 2004 7:25 pm

Comments noted
Please try to keep your posting short and to the point and ON SUBJECT.
I don't need the game rules.
Thanks

elbowmaster

Post by elbowmaster » Mon Dec 20, 2004 8:23 pm

Larry wrote:The cost of doing naval war business just went up... Too much?
i liked with the destroyers at 8 / subs at 8...maybe if the subs were now 6, destoyers 8, but it seems your leaning to a 10 ipc destroyer, which then, yes, expensive...

SkyPilot

Post by SkyPilot » Tue Dec 21, 2004 2:17 am

Larry, I love this new Transport rule. It was ridiculous to have 7 trn killed before a BB was hit.

My question is will transports carry the same inf/land unit combo as in AAR? Should there be a capacity bonus in conjunction with entering/departing ports?

Larry

Post by Larry » Tue Dec 21, 2004 12:50 pm

Comments noted.
Elbow -The price of DD’s could be 8 I guess. Perhaps they could even be the same as subs. Not sure about this yet…

Sky- They will carry the same as in AAR. Do you want to change this?