Changing Destroyers to cost 8 (was 12)

Thanks for your input todate. Here is a collection of my thinking at this point. Please feel free to participate in this on going discussion. Your contributions are appreciated. Tell your A&A friends about this so they have a chance to voice what they want in A-A&A. I'll update the the original posting as changes and new ideas are adopted or contemplated.
thoes426

Post by thoes426 » Tue Dec 21, 2004 12:24 pm

Larry -
What reasons do you have in mind for raising naval prices?

Wouldn't lowering them promote more purchases in this area?

(it would for me at least, i'm a naval freak and will blow my whole wad just to create a grand navy! :D)

DD cost should be equal to that of it's #1 opponant - Submarines
a cost of 10 would be fair also, but anything higher is going to make starting DD's very lonely in the long run, as i cannot see wasting money on further DD purchases @ 12, when i can just build lots of cheap Subs to protect my fleets as "fodder".

Thoes426 :twisted:
Strength lies not in defense but in attack.
Adolf Hitler

Krieghund

Post by Krieghund » Tue Dec 21, 2004 12:27 pm

If subs are going to be of limited use in combat, perhaps they should cost less as well (6 IPCs).
A&A Developer and Playtester

"War is much more fun when you're winning!" - General Martok

adlertag

Post by adlertag » Tue Dec 21, 2004 12:37 pm

With a link to real world, this is easy.
A ww2 sub was between 500 and 1000 tons.
A ww2 destroyer was between 2500 and 5000 tons, had three times the crew and twice the building time. Also two destroyers had to work in company in order to hunt down one sub.

If a sub cost 8 ipc, a destroyer must cost at least 10 ipc.

Larry

Post by Larry » Tue Dec 21, 2004 10:29 pm

Comments noted
Thoes – I’m considering making everything more expensive and having fewer units appear at the set up. This would make each unit very precious and dear. Its just something going on in the back of my mind. Don’t worry – I know you’d hate it.

Adlertag – ok, what do you think about 6 sub and 8 DD?

Imperious leader

Post by Imperious leader » Tue Dec 21, 2004 10:39 pm

It may have took more destroyers working in groups to sink subs. But all nations except germany and Italy had more destroyers in the first place than submarines. Ill post some results to back things up. Id like to see less units on the board to make set up easier, but have or give a player a fund to create their own army made up of non infantry pieces that they would decide. they could go for a big navy or more tanks, or a balanced effort of the three branches. Destroyers need to be the infantry of the sea. I was pushing on making naval fighters the infantry of the air. I dont like subs taking destroyers place as the basic naval unit. Im not trying to sway any opinions as of yet since i havent given many facts to support it. But i shall
We really need an Axis and Allies World War one game so i can play that on August 1st, 2014.

Larry

Post by Larry » Tue Dec 21, 2004 11:14 pm

Comments noted
Il – you can if you like but know that I don’t care how many DD’s it took to sink a sub.
Destroyers will be playing a bigger role in A-A&A. End of discussion. At this point I see them costing 8 and subs costing either the same (8) or 6. that will depend on how I decide to use subs and destroyers in the game.

Flashman

Post by Flashman » Wed Dec 22, 2004 8:04 am

Assuming the introduction of a cruiser at equivalent of 3-3, I think Subs and destroyers should be of equal value at 8, with a 2-2 combat ability.
Destroyers should of course keep their anti-sub abilities but may also get a minelaying/sweeping role if mines are to be considered as a new unit.

Larry

Post by Larry » Wed Dec 22, 2004 9:26 am

Comments noted
No mines. That’s my final word on that topic. At least not unless they are magnetic and used only in the Baltic. DD’s and Subs at equal price… why not? Because I hate the idea!