Unit Increases or

Thanks for your input todate. Here is a collection of my thinking at this point. Please feel free to participate in this on going discussion. Your contributions are appreciated. Tell your A&A friends about this so they have a chance to voice what they want in A-A&A. I'll update the the original posting as changes and new ideas are adopted or contemplated.
Larry

Post by Larry » Sun Dec 26, 2004 11:16 pm

Comments noted
Yes - there are ways to make this happen TMTM

Flashman

Post by Flashman » Tue Jan 04, 2005 8:49 am

I lean towards having more units rather than less. I believe fewer units would lead to a concentration of those units on a few key areas, leaving large regions of the board empty, which I don’t like to see. Also, battles with fewer units are more dependent on chance, whereas I want a game that is decided more by intelligent marshalling of resources.

Imperious leader

Post by Imperious leader » Tue Jan 04, 2005 4:54 pm

I want more units but want to avoid the tactic of waiting "sitzkreig" with large hordes of infantry guarding the gates. It really makes for a static battlefield condition, and was a resaon for the changes on the revised map in Russia (e.g. kariella/ eastern europe) I especially want more naval units.The main idea is to give the incentive for a nation to build a more varied mix of pieces, and to provide reasons why they should... One way is to end the idea of 1-2 infantry into 3-4, so the defensive cheap builds solely on infantry will not work anymore.
We really need an Axis and Allies World War one game so i can play that on August 1st, 2014.

Larry

Post by Larry » Tue Jan 04, 2005 9:25 pm

Comments noted
I'm confident that AA&A will address these issues. I completely agree with both of you and see the value in your positions./

elbowmaster

Post by elbowmaster » Tue Jan 04, 2005 10:23 pm

sitzkreig!!! LOL :lol: i love it!!

Larry

Post by Larry » Tue Jan 04, 2005 11:14 pm

Comments noted
Sitzkreig - That one took me moment.

Flashman

Post by Flashman » Wed Jan 05, 2005 9:19 am

I should have said that I regard AAR as very well balanced in this respect - very few empty areas, but not too many big stacks.
However, as IL said, navies still tend to suffer from wipeout. I think sensible defender retreat rules should solve this problem.

Larry

Post by Larry » Wed Jan 05, 2005 12:17 pm

Comments noted
Yes – Both Attacker and Defender being able to retreat will have many positive impacts on the game indeed. I do of course wonder about what negative impacts it will have. I want the navy to not be “wipedout” I’m reducing cost and incorporating other concepts to keep them alive. The retreat ability is probably the most impactful element todate.