Unit Increases or

Thanks for your input todate. Here is a collection of my thinking at this point. Please feel free to participate in this on going discussion. Your contributions are appreciated. Tell your A&A friends about this so they have a chance to voice what they want in A-A&A. I'll update the the original posting as changes and new ideas are adopted or contemplated.
Larry

Post by Larry » Wed Jan 12, 2005 11:42 am

Comments noted
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :P

The Old Soldier

Post by The Old Soldier » Tue Mar 08, 2005 3:17 am

[quote]Unit Reductions - Considering the following: - Reducing the number of units that are placed on the original set up and lowering the IPC values of all the territories. This will make money more scarce. The idea is to make each unit more vital. Each loss becomes more important and each battle more significant. Each combat will be limited to 3 rounds. This will leave many of them unfinished. These unfinished battles will permit players to reinforce existing battles or retreat from them. This system already exist in Axis & Allies D-Day.[quote]

This is the option I perfer. With the combine arms and retreat rules. Note: while I did mention in the retreat post what I thought would work with land based battles, sea based battles should work a little different. After a round of combat if a player chooses to retreat he should just roll a die. What the number should be, is up to you. Say maybe 6 or less. If he rolls it the combat ends otherwise fight another round up to a total of 3 rounds. After 3 rounds the battle is over and the attack must move back into the sea zone he came from if both players still have a fleet.

Sean

Imperious leader

Post by Imperious leader » Tue Mar 08, 2005 5:32 pm

I dont see that their is a problem with the amout of plastic on the board, except their is too much infantry, and now we have to buy more because Griffey says it will win the game for us. The end of chip stacks will comeabout when the actual value of infantry as a defensive staple is solved. This requires the value to be the same as the attack value say 3/3, 3/4, or 4/3 depending on the nation. the 1-2 idea started this mess in the first place, so people had to buy lots of tanks just to bring the balance into favorable attacking conditions. This took almost the entire game to accomplish and many areas were very static battlefields. The D12 system will also solve the problem since we can make the tanks, and mech a better buy with higher values compared to infantry. I favor the "spend more IP, get better value idea on pieces" philosophy. So infantry will become the less attractive unit to buy, and this will result in less plastic anyway. I read that "inverse square law article" about dreadnought era warships. its very dated ideas and is overly simplistic approach leaves much to be desired. Ships are multifacited multy task warships, they are not built of solely "ship of the line" hull/guns/speed formulas. Thats a good argument for Trafalgar or jutland, but not WW2 with carriers, submarines,airplanes etc.
We really need an Axis and Allies World War one game so i can play that on August 1st, 2014.

adlertag

Post by adlertag » Wed Mar 09, 2005 7:21 am

MORE UNITS OR LESSER UNITS

The land set-up from Revised are very balanced. Lets keep it that way.
The naval set-up from revised are balanced too, but with slightly lower cost to air and naval units, we will see more action.

IL's post above sucks.
Infantry always was weak in attack ,and strong in defence.
The problem is Tanks, they dont act as they should. A&A infantry are more cost-effective in attack than Tanks, and that are freakin twisted absurd. Tanks must roll two dices in attack, first roll is Breakethrough, second is Exploitation.

..............ATTACK.......DEFEND.....d12
Tanks......6+6............6
Fighter.....5...............6
Infantry...4...............6

This reflects real ww2.
If you need to defend yourselves, buy infantry. If you want to attack somebody, buy Tanks.

Imperious leader

Post by Imperious leader » Wed Mar 09, 2005 12:34 pm

But adlertag look at the values of infantry in WIF or Third Reich. Or any other wargame that has the values basically equal, with the exception of Soviet infantry. Since all our ideas are "stolen " from WIF shouldnt we steal that too??? :lol: :lol: :lol:
Love Heydrich--
We really need an Axis and Allies World War one game so i can play that on August 1st, 2014.

adlertag

Post by adlertag » Wed Mar 09, 2005 8:46 pm

Imperious leader wrote:But adlertag look at the values of infantry in WIF or Third Reich. Or any other wargame that has the values basically equal, with the exception of Soviet infantry. Since all our ideas are "stolen " from WIF shouldnt we steal that too??? :lol: :lol: :lol:
Love Heydrich--

In WiF the army/corps counters have a combat value printet on them.
If we go to the "Combat Charts", we can see one "BlitzKrieg Table" (if you attack with armoured units) and one "Assault Table" (if you only attack with inf./art.).
Now look at the "Combat odds" coloumns. If you attack with 1 to 1 combat points, you will lose. If you attack with 3 to 1 combat points, you will get a minor victory. Because in real wars, you need three attacking units to kill one defending unit, and this Tables reflects that.
If you attack with 5 to 1, you are sure to win, 7 to 1 are "Overrun".

Now compare Blitzkrig Table with Assault Table, and see the difference.
In Blitzkrieg Table, the armoured units can Breakethrough and Exploit, wich are a very powerful thing to do. Maybe too powerful for a A&A game ? But in France 1940, the seven German Panzer Divisionen did win a spectaculare victory, ja ?

Imperious leader

Post by Imperious leader » Wed Mar 09, 2005 9:29 pm

I dont have WIF , but i do have Avalon hills' Third Reich in this game infantry are at 3-3 with light infantry at 2-3. American forces are at 3-4 with some UK as well. alot of minors are at 1-3. Tanks BTW are at 4-6,4-5 and 3-5..with a couple of SS units at 5-6 (gotta love those).