Unit Reductions or

Thanks for your input todate. Here is a collection of my thinking at this point. Please feel free to participate in this on going discussion. Your contributions are appreciated. Tell your A&A friends about this so they have a chance to voice what they want in A-A&A. I'll update the the original posting as changes and new ideas are adopted or contemplated.
trihero

Post by trihero » Sun Dec 04, 2005 6:49 pm

That's really hard to say. Overall I'm in favor of increasing the unit count by making navies more affordable. I would like to see naval battles to be more possible for the Axis at least because they simply have very limited income to increase their navy and still have a chance at winning because they really have to focus on getting the IPC difference up to zero quickly which requires land troops. I would like to see some increased value in the strategy of ocean domination for the Axis. And maybe it'd be nice to see a Russian navy for once before the game is already decided. It's not fun to have all these nice Russian navy pieces and never see them in action ; ( Same goes for their nice big bomber that never gets seen ; ( I also believe that bombers got nerfed too much in LHTR; they perhaps deserve a price reduction as well.

I do like the idea of having less units and making money more scarce, because it makes battles more important and because it makes it simpler to keep track of IPC totals (when checking IPC totals it can be tedious to add up all the numbers to 166). However I think this might be changing the game towards the tactical level of D-Day or Pacific a bit too much. I prefer the feel of A&A revised where you can have these nice big battles throwing dozens of dice =) Having more money also tends to increase the flexibility of what you can buy; I'm sure with less money available that there will be very optimal buys and that battles may come too much to one big fight since there's not enough income to recover the losses next turn.

adlertag

Post by adlertag » Wed Dec 07, 2005 5:32 pm

The best idea is to keep the IPC-income from A&A 2ed. MB, since that one is closets to real world. Lets also keep the set-up from 2ed.MB.

Now the trick with Advanced is that there are going to be only one combat round in a turn. If Germany attack with 10 inf and 2 planes and Russia defend with 4 inf , now they only roll dice for one combat round, and the party with less land units left must retreat to another territory.
This system reflects reality, plus it will let many armies survive. In real world the military forces was growing until the last day, and Ge/Ja capitulated with millions og men big armies. In old A&A games huge armies will vanish in one turn, and that is not realistic. So we need this new rule, that lets the army with less units retreat.

Imperious leader

Post by Imperious leader » Wed Dec 07, 2005 6:33 pm

HUH? you are agreeing with me then? or what is your new opinion of how combat system works?
We really need an Axis and Allies World War one game so i can play that on August 1st, 2014.

Imperious leader

Post by Imperious leader » Wed Dec 07, 2005 6:35 pm

Introduction:

First :Their are no more a/a guns. They are built into Industrial Complexes. Id say for each attacking Bomber owner of the IC gets a roll one d12, with a 1 or 2 equals a hit on a Bomber.

Second: All units are to be classified for the purpose of combat into the following
Infantry and Mechanized= class 1 units
Armor and artillery= class 2 units
Fighters and Bombers =class 3 units

Third: Each surviving Artillery unit can now fire at one plane at the end of all combat rounds.

Forth: Bombers roll twice for their attacks ( 2 hits possible)

CASE ONE:
In all land combat when one side has no planes and the other does have planes, Those planes conduct air superiority attacks on enemy forces as follows: Each plane rolls for attacks and all hits are preemtive (no return fire) The plane hits are the choice of the attacker . The hits are removed and the planes have no further part in combat. If the defender has any artillery pieces they may roll one d12 hitting on a 12 (no more than 3 rolls possible)

CASE TWO: If both sides have planes then the attacking planes are rolled, and the defending planes are rolled. Both take all hits from planes first, followed upon chosen ground units. All hits that are assigned to land units from planes are preemtive with no defending rolls against the planes.NO further combat with planes takes place. NOTE: Bombers get to roll twice against land units, but once against defending air units, and at a lower attack/defense value (example: say they are at eight/ eight for attack and and eight for defense, but against planes they are one die at 4 in each catagory

CASE THREE: In combat with ground units only (after air combat effects are conducted) consider the following:

All class TWO units fire first, with the attacker rolling first , then the defender, all hits are taken from class TWO unit mix (defenders choice) The owning player can choose which of his class TWO units are removed, however. If their are no class two units then class ONE units can be eliminated.

All class ONE units now roll, attackers followed by defenders, again all loses are from class ONE units first (owning players choice). If their are no class ONE units left, then class TWO units can be used.

Retreats are handled in manner i have posted under retreats, partial, or full. Planes from both sides may retreat to adjacent territories after their preliminary combat round. If they choose to remain in the territory and are the last surviving piece following battle, then they can still retreat to an adjacent territory. Planes cannot take an enemy territory, only land units can do this.

Each surviving Artillery piece can now fire at one plane that was used in combat. Their anti-aircraft value is fixed at say 2

Defensive air support: planes from adjacent territories can assist in defending in the air combat that is performed before land combat. They are simply brought into this combat on that round.

Their no no more coastal air support, since now carriers have their own naval fighters and i dont want to mix these units . Plus their was nearly NEVER any case of planes taking off from MAINLAND territories and sinking groups of warships. They came from islands which are covered under naval fighters.

Now get out some pieces and playtest this. You will notice the following:

Planes no longer keep a stack of plastic safe from destruction, they have too much influence previously, However air superiority is firmly addressed.

Bombers get some value into land combat, which is why you buy them

Artillery have more value since they roll against planes at end of combat.. Will you lose a tank or an artillery piece when you see that you have a chance to hit a plane??

Enemy tanks can be destroyed now , no more "hiding" behind stacks of Infantry

Remember breakthru and exploitation:

Breakthrough and Exploitation: Following combat, any additional armored or artillery class units, mechanized, or air units not delegated during the movement phase or the combat phase and residing adjacent to the original territory that an attack is conducted can participate in breakthrough and exploitation. They now move up to their full movement capabilities and conduct a new attack. The first space entered must be the original captured hex and the second is subject to a new attack. Note: Airborne units (paratroopers) actually land in the territory they attack. Note: All normal rules of combat and retreat apply.
We really need an Axis and Allies World War one game so i can play that on August 1st, 2014.

Hefsgaard

number of units

Post by Hefsgaard » Wed Jun 06, 2007 3:28 pm

Less units, makes the game more vunerable to poor/lucky dicerolling.
I would also think that increasing the number of zones on the map, will increase the need for more units, not lessen it.