Unit Reductions or

Thanks for your input todate. Here is a collection of my thinking at this point. Please feel free to participate in this on going discussion. Your contributions are appreciated. Tell your A&A friends about this so they have a chance to voice what they want in A-A&A. I'll update the the original posting as changes and new ideas are adopted or contemplated.
elbowmaster

Unit Reductions or

Post by elbowmaster » Sun Dec 19, 2004 10:06 pm

comments about Unit Reductions...
larry wrote:Unit Reductions - Considering the following: - Reducing the number of units that are placed on the original set up and lowering the IPC values of all the territories. This will make money more scarce. The idea is to make each unit more vital. Each loss becomes more important and each battle more significant. Each combat will be limited to 3 rounds. This will leave many of them unfinished. These unfinished battles will permit players to reinforce existing battles or retreat from them. This system already exist in Axis & Allies D-Day.
-or-
Unit Increases – Contrary to the above effort to reduce the number of units on the board, this approach would “increase” the number of units on the board. Ships and aircraft would become cheaper to purchase. This would assure that the oceans of the world become and remain battlefields
Last edited by elbowmaster on Mon Mar 07, 2005 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Imperious leader

Post by Imperious leader » Mon Dec 20, 2004 10:55 pm

Id make the values go up and the prices go down ( in relation to the inflation of the global values). Id like to limit this by establishing a cost of offensive action . Perhaps a nation can buy a specfic number of actions on its turn that cost IP. This may or may not be tied to the commander rating. Basically you can get an attrition option that results in one further round of combat taking place in preexisting battles that were fought in the prior turn, Or you can have an offensive action that allows you unlimited combat in a single territory. It may cost about 2-3 IP for each action you want to occur. The attrition action is free since it represents prior continuing offensive actions that have not been concluded. Just thinking out loud.
We really need an Axis and Allies World War one game so i can play that on August 1st, 2014.

Larry

Post by Larry » Tue Dec 21, 2004 10:31 pm

Comments noted.
Il - once again thanks for thinking outside the box

Imperious leader

Post by Imperious leader » Tue Dec 21, 2004 10:49 pm

dont worry im so excited im gonna make you a version for the following :

national unit differences/ same prices

no national unit differences/ different prices

and no nationa; unit differences /no different prices

plus: the same as option 3 but with some national modifiers that are specific.

ill have them served right up on a hot plater-
We really need an Axis and Allies World War one game so i can play that on August 1st, 2014.

Larry

Post by Larry » Tue Dec 21, 2004 11:07 pm

Il – let me tell you that I’m probably not going to change the present system much. I’m beginning to think that this is a sexy exercise in numbers but people don’t really want national differences when it comes to ability and cost of the different weapons. At least not big differences.

Imperious leader

Post by Imperious leader » Wed Dec 22, 2004 12:27 am

not trying to sway things just give you other looks at the puzzle from other angles just so can see what it would look like. I just show the different toys, and you take home what you like.

Larry

Post by Larry » Wed Dec 22, 2004 12:33 am

Comments noted
Love it... Thanks. This is certainlyan interesting study
//////

adlertag

Re: Unit Reductions or

Post by adlertag » Sat May 28, 2005 10:40 am

larry wrote: Each combat will be limited to 3 rounds.
The best historical system will be this:

1.All units roll a dice. Remove casualties.

2. The units with successful rolls are allowed an extra bonus roll. Remove casualties.

3. The units with successful rolls are again allowed a bonus roll. Remove casualties.

4. Continue this until no units have successful rolls.

This will reflect that a unit who makes a successfull attack, gets a breakethrough and can exploit the situation with more attacks, just like in real wars. It will also favour Tanks in attack, since Tanks will probably get more bonus rolls than Infantry.
During Battle of France, the Panzer-divisions did face more combat actions than the following-up Infantry who walked on foot far behind.

If the roll was un-successful, the unit face a stand-off, and will dug-in for the rest of this turn.

MORE REALITY
If a unit have an un-successful roll, this unit may be destroyed by the opposing force, or face a stand-off. This will make faster play.

INFANTRY ROLL
1 or 2 = success, remove one enemy unit.
3 or 4 = stand-off.
5 or 6 = failure, remove your unit.