Combined Arms

Thanks for your input todate. Here is a collection of my thinking at this point. Please feel free to participate in this on going discussion. Your contributions are appreciated. Tell your A&A friends about this so they have a chance to voice what they want in A-A&A. I'll update the the original posting as changes and new ideas are adopted or contemplated.
Larry

Post by Larry » Thu Jan 13, 2005 2:40 pm

I'm sure... nonetheless, in Massachusetts that much fun would be illegal and subject to fines and jail time.

Post by Guest » Thu Jan 13, 2005 3:15 pm

Kreighund,
The opening shot for airpower very well could be overpowered. I don't think we should kill it yet though. Perhaps you take the difference in airpower.

I attack with 3 fighters. You have 4 fighters. You get have air superiority of 1, so 1 fighter gets to roll first (remove any casualty) before each round of combat. You could even have a box on the battle board to place such planes (and other units that may fit this role).

My hunch is that it is not too overpowering unless the attacker or defender is careless in the face of a lots of enemy fighters. It encourages spreading fighters on the front. And I think any combined arms system that rewards smart choices in force match ups by shortening combat is a good thing, right?

The question is, if anyone is interested in flushing out this idea, should bombers be included in this?

Larry,
Regarding reducing tank defense. In the D12 system it could be 6/5 base and 6/7 with an inf (or mech inf) combo. My hunch is that while being a defense stat boost, it will reward aggressive tactics as it will be hard(er) to dislodge gains made by a sizeable inf/mechinf/tank push.

Of course you could not alter the tank defense stat at all and instead give the defense boost to the inf. I believe you still get the same result of boosting a force that has tank accompanied by inf (which is a worthy goal imo).

d6veteran

Post by d6veteran » Thu Jan 13, 2005 3:17 pm

Uh that was me as guest. Not used to being able to post anonymously.

If you want to turn that off Larry it is pretty straight forward (and I don't mean to insult you web skills in case you mean to have it on).

Krieghund

Post by Krieghund » Thu Jan 13, 2005 3:31 pm

Not bad, D6veteran. That may work. I'm all for anything that spreads units out. The next problem that we run into, though, is that with defending fighters spread out the attacker can mass fighters in one spot and overwhelm the defenders. Hopefully the inclusion of rules allowing fighters to defend adjacent territories will compensate for this.

Not sure about bombers. I've been kicking that one around myself. I'm leaning towards no, since bomber attacks are more powerful by nature. Perhaps they should just always roll first, with hit units destroyed immediately. We have discussed bombers only being able to attack in the first round of combat. Combining that with this could work...
A&A Developer and Playtester

"War is much more fun when you're winning!" - General Martok

d6veteran

Post by d6veteran » Thu Jan 13, 2005 3:46 pm

Krieghund wrote:Not bad, D6veteran. That may work. I'm all for anything that spreads units out. The next problem that we run into, though, is that with defending fighters spread out the attacker can mass fighters in one spot and overwhelm the defenders. Hopefully the inclusion of rules allowing fighters to defend adjacent territories will compensate for this.

Not sure about bombers. I've been kicking that one around myself. I'm leaning towards no, since bomber attacks are more powerful by nature. Perhaps they should just always roll first, with hit units destroyed immediately. We have discussed bombers only being able to attack in the first round of combat. Combining that with this could work...

Bomber attacking for one round only -- I like that a lot.

I also like the idea of adjacent fighters being allowed to defend ... it seems like a realistic counter to an enemy focusing all their airpower into on sector of the front.

Larry

Post by Larry » Fri Jan 14, 2005 12:48 pm

Comments noted
rr//////

adlertag

Post by adlertag » Sat Jan 15, 2005 11:23 am

LAND COMBOS

This is how I got Larrys suggestion under "D12 value" thread:

BASIC UNIT: Infantry units are the basic units representing an army of 100 000 men with rifles. Mech inf. are the same army but mounted on half-tracks so they can move 2.

SUPPORT UNITS: Artillery, Tanks, Fighters, and Bombers are small support units representing 500 tanks, 500 guns, 500 fighters and so on. They cant combat alone, and need one matching infantry unit to roll dice in combat.

Basic infantry attack on 2 and defend on 4 or less.
Alone artillery are not allowed combat roll.
Infantry with matching artillery both attack on 3 and defend on 5. They roll 2 dices for same value.
Infantry attacking with matching artillery and tank, roll 3 dices, 4 or less is hit if attacking, and 3 dices of 6 is hit if defending. Of course we need dices in different colours to better manage this complicated combats.

BATTLEBOARD
..................................ATTACKER.........DEFENDER
Infantry+artillery+tanks 4 +4+4...........6+6+6....Infantry+art+tanks..USE RED DICE.

Infantry+artillery.........3+3....................5+5.........Infantry+artillery...USE BLACK DICE.
Infantry + tanks...........3+3.....................5+5.......Infantry + tanks

Infantry........................2.........................4............Infantry....USE WHITE DICE.

adlertag

Post by adlertag » Sat Jan 15, 2005 11:36 am

LAND COMBOS

another combo in the same direction:

BASIC UNIT: Infantry unit represent army of 100 000 men. att/def on 2/4.

OFFANSIVE SUPPORT: Tank unit represent 500 tanks. Cant combat alone, but boost up one matching infantry +2 in att. and +1 in defence.

DEFENSIVE SUPPORT: Artillery unit represent 500 guns. Cant combat alone, but boost up one matching infantry +1 in att. and +2 in defence.

BATTLEBOARD
.............................ATTACK...........DEFENCE
Infantry+tanks.......4+4.................6+6...........Infantry+artillery.....USE RED DICE
Infantry + artillery...3+3.................5+5..........Infantry+tanks.......USE BLACK DICE
Infantry...................2.....................4.............Infantry..............USE WHITE DICE.