Rail Road system

Thanks for your input todate. Here is a collection of my thinking at this point. Please feel free to participate in this on going discussion. Your contributions are appreciated. Tell your A&A friends about this so they have a chance to voice what they want in A-A&A. I'll update the the original posting as changes and new ideas are adopted or contemplated.
Imperious leader

Post by Imperious leader » Mon Dec 27, 2004 2:14 pm

Naw its easier to just have a static fixed number of moves, with the ability of enemy planes to be used solely as strategic movement interdiction by placing the plane in a territory and forcing each armor unit to roll a saving roll to conduct SR movement out of the territory as follows:

roll "1" unit destroyed, roll 2-3 unit cant move in SR. 4+ no effect. Roll only one unit for each plane in territory , also a/a gun will get preemtive shot. This is more elegant and simple.
We really need an Axis and Allies World War one game so i can play that on August 1st, 2014.

elbowmaster

Post by elbowmaster » Mon Dec 27, 2004 9:15 pm

id like to see rail start at a rail station, and end at one, where the inbetweens / connectors (even the rail station itself) can be bombed for a restriction cost or disruption to supply...victory cities could be considered rail stations instead of making all the territories a country owns, "rail friendly"

also like the burma road as posted before...

Imperious leader

Post by Imperious leader » Mon Dec 27, 2004 10:22 pm

each territory should have a limit based on its value , which will limit units threw itself and other territories. (e.g. say south france at 4 IP can only move 4 units to northern italy, while if they were to travel further to say southern italy they would again be limited to northern italy IP value of 3 , so 3 out of the four units cross from s. france to south italy.

Plus any enemy planes in the territory (like they have in d-day but a bit different) that were left for interdiction get shots on each unit on a one plane to one unit basis. So it is simply done w/o "chutes and ladders "on the game board with clean easy rules. WE dont need clutter on the board to detract from aesthetics. Rail tracks on each border are not needed to be printed it is quite clear that in this stage in human development that railroads were everywhere and from everywhere. we have to keep all specfic rules to have a seemless apperance in the games play mechanics.
We really need an Axis and Allies World War one game so i can play that on August 1st, 2014.

TMTM

Post by TMTM » Tue Dec 28, 2004 12:06 am

How about a a train peice.. kinda like a transport on land... a peice that can get bombed and removed. Say a train can move up to 5 units or something.

Oh I just thought of another good idea... make bridges in the game also.. this is a cool part of the war.. bombing brigdes or securing them etc.. You could make lands only accessible by the bridge. This could also be a peice. It could be a small cardboard thing to help keep cost down.. like a little control marker size with a bridge printed on it.. same goes for the train... anyones thoughts?

TMTM

Post by TMTM » Tue Dec 28, 2004 12:08 am

elbow... do you have a complete world map with details of every country and ocean in one file... kinda like the one featured above that you can email me or just post a link to it on here or private message me a link?

Imperious leader

Post by Imperious leader » Tue Dec 28, 2004 12:34 am

the train piece is another way to go... It wont clutter the board with icons and it can be easily made. Id go with that. but all those ladders looks like its a footpath at a park showing where state required handicap ramps are to be installed to allow crips to get around. arrg..

Imperious leader

Post by Imperious leader » Tue Dec 28, 2004 2:05 pm

ok im sorry, elbow please accept my apologies... I favored the idea of the train piece proposed by TMTM , its not bad at all. Adlertag has good ideas bout neutrals,air combat, map look, plus many other ideas, You have many good ideas bout the map in fact you have changed my views from making a regular board like mine , to the more "warroom" style map. I totally support this.. Plus your other ideas on other aspects of the game. I just try to show the drawbacks of some ideas in a humourous light. Its not to shame anyone (if thats the correct term) but to demonstrate if followed to their conclusion how it would dramatically effect the game in a negative way. We are all about postive ideas and sharing them, if we "attack" the ideas we are not attacking YOU. Adlertag does this with me but i understand hes need to imporve things, Drax is another tough dude who its very clever and also has a History backround.. Remember this is only forum of ideas swimming around for purpose and substance...

SkyPilot

Post by SkyPilot » Tue Dec 28, 2004 2:41 pm

elbowmaster wrote:it seems if its not yours, then its not good enough...which is starting to turn me off, i say, how many others are turned off by it, but dont say anything...
In response to this, is there any need for 3000-word posts? Man I detest sifting through these. As soon as I see an uber-long post, I scroll right past it and read the "digestible" ones; ie: a paragraph or two. They seem to contain the most information and ideas. I was under the impression that we're here for ideas, not 60-page rule manuals...