Rail Road system

Thanks for your input todate. Here is a collection of my thinking at this point. Please feel free to participate in this on going discussion. Your contributions are appreciated. Tell your A&A friends about this so they have a chance to voice what they want in A-A&A. I'll update the the original posting as changes and new ideas are adopted or contemplated.
Larry

Post by Larry » Thu Jan 13, 2005 2:33 pm

What do you mean “Open source style” I think I know but want to be sure – I know that software developer usually have their own vocabulary and definitions there of.

I agree with you 100% about simplicity. At the same time we are discussing a game that WE already know how to play. Now we want to add more to it. Thus the name ADVANCED Axis & Allies.

d6veteran

Post by d6veteran » Thu Jan 13, 2005 4:10 pm

Larry wrote:I agree with you 100% about simplicity. At the same time we are discussing a game that WE already know how to play. Now we want to add more to it. Thus the name ADVANCED Axis & Allies.
Good point.

About my open source analogy:
I meant simply that the *design* of next iteration is to some extent a community effort, or at the very least asking for the community to say what they want next. The *production* of the game includes a financial aspect and so the analogy breaks down there.

Whenever valuable IP issues are involved it is rare to see a conduit opened up to the community for feedback and ideas.

I don't know what Wizards/Hasbro thinks of triplea and the other software and material mods out there, but I have the impression that they understand their fan base enough to know that letting the community take the game to new places is *not* going to take away from sales. In fact I think it has done the opposite.

Maybe I'm being naive about that.

Anyway, it was just refreshing to find the game designer of one of my all time favorite board games hosting a forum and appreciating/accepting input for his game. This is a cool thing going on here.

elbowmaster

Post by elbowmaster » Fri Jan 14, 2005 12:10 am

yes we must consider this game is suited for a person who is already familiar with earlier versions of axis & allies, no doubt!!

i totally agree with you d6, larry harris & whoever "are gonna deliver" with this next version...anyone who really cares and can comment here, is doing so, the call went out at other forums some time ago, people know, the time is now as i see it & i could never imagine that it actually can come down to direct communication with the designer..."that" has to be the ultimate for me in axis & allies land, even if its larry harris, who sold his soul to walmart ;)

as to all the extra axis & allies stuff that is going on behind the scenes, that only denotes as to what people will do to get what they want...totally cant see how all this "extra" activity takes away from anyones money, the great thing about axis & allies, is given the base game, one can basically build what one wants...you still buy the base game!!!

many people bought extra sets of aae / aap for units, they were new, different from the original...revised / dday for me, only purchased 1 set each, compared to 2 aae's and 4 aap's, this shouldnt be overlooked as well...

thats why im pushing not only for a great game by a great mind who can listen to other great minds with openess, as the message board does this, it gives us a chance to read the thoughts & have a laugh from time to time...thats design how i see it...

remember the visual aspects of the game, the QA!!!! its time for some unit upgrades in this advanced version, if COTE can have all new, then surely A:A&A can!!

game on!!!

TMTM

Post by TMTM » Fri Jan 14, 2005 12:45 am

I'm with Elbow& d6Vetern on this one... people have built software and spin off's of A&A with out the rights.. I think it's cool but it shouldn't be allowed if the people that have the copyrights are producing a similar product that provides the same need.

Larry

Post by Larry » Fri Jan 14, 2005 12:36 pm

Comments noted
Still not sure what elbow is saying however. Sold out my soul to Walmart... I think not! :wink:
//////

elbowmaster

Post by elbowmaster » Fri Jan 14, 2005 12:44 pm

im still in the process of eating my heart out...BIG heart, takes awhile..!!

Larry

Post by Larry » Fri Jan 14, 2005 12:52 pm

:wink:

Beast1313131

Post by Beast1313131 » Tue Jan 18, 2005 2:55 pm

I think that railways would be good as long as it did not complicate the game too much.
If the tanks succeed, then victory will follow-General Heinz Guderian 1939