Rail Road system

Thanks for your input todate. Here is a collection of my thinking at this point. Please feel free to participate in this on going discussion. Your contributions are appreciated. Tell your A&A friends about this so they have a chance to voice what they want in A-A&A. I'll update the the original posting as changes and new ideas are adopted or contemplated.
Imperious leader

Post by Imperious leader » Thu Dec 30, 2004 8:42 pm

If it helps anybody I stand in a 2 feet 3 inches...with my platform shoes! :lol:
We really need an Axis and Allies World War one game so i can play that on August 1st, 2014.

Larry

Post by Larry » Thu Dec 30, 2004 11:03 pm

Imperious Thumb

Larry

Post by Larry » Sun Jan 09, 2005 5:30 pm

Comments noted
//////

d6veteran

Post by d6veteran » Mon Jan 10, 2005 12:10 am

Hmmm ... not fond of this idea. I can appreciate the historical strategic value of rail (especially after reading about the Siberian rail transport of troops to the Eastern front to save Moscow), but I'd prefer it be abstracted in Axis and Allies to the point of being buried in map layout or some other 'intrinsic' game mechanic.

Or it could be an optional rule.

Larry

Post by Larry » Wed Jan 12, 2005 11:31 am

Comments noted
d6 objects//////

Flashman

Post by Flashman » Wed Jan 12, 2005 12:45 pm

I see no need for Rail movement points or caps. Look at the size of the forces Hitler moved up to the eastern front in Spring-summer '41.
The biggest invasion force ever assembled - nearly all of it moved by rail.
I say: if you have a clear rail connection from A to B use it as much as you like. Remember, rail movement will be non-combat only, so it always gives the enemy the opportunity to note your troop build up and take measures accordingly.

Larry

Post by Larry » Wed Jan 12, 2005 1:38 pm

commnt noted
Good comment above rr///////

d6veteran

Post by d6veteran » Wed Jan 12, 2005 4:27 pm

Larry wrote:Comments noted
d6 objects//////
;)

I'm still trying to get my mind around what you guys are building (the scope). I love the all the brainstorming going on; and initially may be playing devils advocate more than cheerleading.

I was a big fan of ASL and Third Reich in the 80s, but after college I couldn't find people to play games of that magnitude/complexity. So my hesitation with introducing lots of complexity to AA is motivated by my desire to be able to play this game with guys with jobs and kids and wives.

Having said that I am excited about having some degree of complexity added to the game and overall I am impressed with the ideas floating around on this board. As a software developer I also appreciate this open source style forum for developing the next iteration of a popular board game.