Rail Road system

Thanks for your input todate. Here is a collection of my thinking at this point. Please feel free to participate in this on going discussion. Your contributions are appreciated. Tell your A&A friends about this so they have a chance to voice what they want in A-A&A. I'll update the the original posting as changes and new ideas are adopted or contemplated.
elbowmaster

Rail Road system

Post by elbowmaster » Sun Dec 19, 2004 10:02 pm

comments about Rail Road system...
larry wrote:Rail Road system: Speeds up land movement. Tokens will be placed showing open rail systems between adjoining territories. These systems are subject to attack and elimination.
Last edited by elbowmaster on Mon Mar 07, 2005 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Imperious leader

Post by Imperious leader » Mon Dec 20, 2004 10:37 pm

During the Non-Combat phase, air units that participate in combat may land in and ground units may move into (or out of) just-captured territory. Ground units that did not move in the movement phase may now move into friendly or just captured territories. Naval units that didn’t move during the combat phase may also move or transport units. Units that already moved may also be strategically redeployed.

Strategic Redeployment
Each nation has a capacity to move units by rail/sea transport following the Non- Combat phase of the turn. Land units specifically may redeploy from any contiguous territories controlled by the player. Neutral nations cannot be used to “trace” connected land territories (e.g. Turkey). Redeployment to land territories separated across oceans is possible but each such transfer costs one SR points for each unit and is limited to the total number of transports you have in sea zones between the territories (except for US movement into Britain).Units that are sent in excess of the transports can still be sent but cost two points each. The capacity for each nation is as follows:

Germany 9
Italy 5
U.S.S.R 6
United Kingdom 6
France 5
Japan 7
U.S.A. 10
China 4

Base Changes
Air and Naval units may make base changes. All fighter types may move up to four, and bombers may move up to six. However, air movement must be over territories or sea zones free of intercepting fighters. All naval units may move up to two sea zones to a sea zone adjacent to a friendly territory, but movement must be through sea zones free of intercepting naval and air units. Base changes do not cost any SR points.
We really need an Axis and Allies World War one game so i can play that on August 1st, 2014.

elbowmaster

Post by elbowmaster » Mon Dec 20, 2004 10:46 pm

wonder what capacities larry has in mind??? tokens??? truely he means thick stock tokens...

Larry

Post by Larry » Tue Dec 21, 2004 10:36 pm

Comments noted
Lets keep this specifically about rail roads not a general analysis about moving units.
Yeah think, think counters.

Flashman

Post by Flashman » Wed Dec 22, 2004 8:13 am

Just to reiterate:

I feel that tanks are a little over powerful in the new version, making artillery virtually obsolete, especially if we consider the 2-space movement.

I propose therefore that the movement of land units is made more realistic by the introduction of rail movement which was in fact still the main means of moving units overland. So…
1. Tanks may only move 2 spaces when blitzing, i.e. when both moves are combat moves.
2. Any land unit (including ICs under Soviet mobile industry rules) may move an unlimited distance through continuous friendly land territories during non-combat movement.

I think I would prefer rail lines to be printed on the map, with counters placed only when a particular stretch of track has been put out of action by interdiction or partizan activity.

I don't like limiting rail movement by national ratings - if you can move an army by rail move it.

Larry

Post by Larry » Wed Dec 22, 2004 9:20 am

Comments noted
Flash - good comments. I don’t think I want to print the tracks on the map. I like you idea of limiting tanks to two moves but only if blitzing. I agree about not limiting rail movement by national ratings…

Krieghund

Re: Rail Road system

Post by Krieghund » Mon Dec 27, 2004 10:32 am

larry wrote:Rail Road system: Speeds up land movement. Tokens will be placed showing open rail systems between adjoining territories. These systems are subject to attack and elimination.
Perhaps a special type of SBR can be made against rail tokens?
A&A Developer and Playtester

"War is much more fun when you're winning!" - General Martok

Guerrilla Guy

Post by Guerrilla Guy » Mon Dec 27, 2004 1:38 pm

So Cost? 5 I.P.C.'s? Transport limit of 6? anywhere in the system... 2 hits to kill(Tokens are flippable and now can transport 3 units cost 2 I.P.C.'s to repair)?

ideas, thoughts?...

GG
"We're airborne. We’re supposed to be surrounded."

Dick Winters to 2nd Lt. George Rice after being told that the 101st Airborne would be surrounded at Bastogne

Games are like my Avatar...