Airports

Thanks for your input todate. Here is a collection of my thinking at this point. Please feel free to participate in this on going discussion. Your contributions are appreciated. Tell your A&A friends about this so they have a chance to voice what they want in A-A&A. I'll update the the original posting as changes and new ideas are adopted or contemplated.
Larry

Post by Larry » Wed Dec 22, 2004 12:21 pm

Comments noted
I agree with you about the Islands/airports.
RN - as in Royal Navy?

elbowmaster

Post by elbowmaster » Mon Dec 27, 2004 9:30 pm

airfields, airports, air bases, what ever you want to call them have a place in this game.

pacific island theatre, aap is an excellent example...

make them a strategic objective in the pacific islands, and maybe we can get something going there...!! id say one in malta as well...

limit these like victory cities, it could work in this system of "advanced game"

same thing in ports...please see ports

Imperious leader

Post by Imperious leader » Mon Dec 27, 2004 10:13 pm

But basically any "rock" can be a airfield, they are not needed to be specialized like ports, the air forces simply needed a level place to land, think french agro fields in 1940 ( movie battle of britian) . They are not national strategic assets, in fact they have little value here. If we take a german airfield in lybia, they just land planes about 1 mile further in the same flat desert.. see???
We really need an Axis and Allies World War one game so i can play that on August 1st, 2014.

elbowmaster

Post by elbowmaster » Mon Dec 27, 2004 10:27 pm

looking more into the abstract here, guadalcanal is a rock, including airbase of strategic importance...certainly wouldnt contain it as a victory city, thats the angle im looking at...truk and malta have similar meaning in this suggestion...besides it includes even a historical undertone as to something that stands out...

im not saying we need 50 airports, but there are certain "things" in the world that fall under similar circumstances...and there still is definition being done to what is a victory condition is and at what level of play it falls...

Imperious leader

Post by Imperious leader » Mon Dec 27, 2004 10:34 pm

Well malta was a major port, but may prove to be too small to make it even on the gameboard let alone a victory city. I see what you want, but again cant every place just have an airfield whether or not its a victory city or not really depends on its importance for other strategic reasons as well. So in your example that island guadalcanal would be a victory city as it was the pinnical of japanese interests to penetrate south like austrailia or islands in the south pacific.
We really need an Axis and Allies World War one game so i can play that on August 1st, 2014.

elbowmaster

Post by elbowmaster » Mon Dec 27, 2004 11:34 pm

guess it depends how the victory cities are going to be handled...in a more advanced way?? i hope so, suggesting that they become a territory type and surrounding areas acting as fluff...

i cant imagine guadalcanal being a victory city, so what im conceptually thinking about is not registering with you...on the same note, im trying to think of some ways of getting more game in the pacific, which im not nessecarily seeing in revised edition...there has to be more appeal to do "something" in the pacific...

perhaps for mandetory finance by the allies...???

with this being said, we have a board size limitation to deal with as well...some folks will not have the luxury of making upgrades...i know how i would exactly design the board in a "product for the masses" and it doesnt need to be in a 54" x 112" format that im used to gaming on...!!

Imperious leader

Post by Imperious leader » Tue Dec 28, 2004 12:41 am

The pacific war im assuming will be solved by allowing Japan to win the game individually by fighting a strong pac war. NO longer do they need to invade russia and help germany. They can do their own thing for their own reasons, while USA has to really send stuff to fight Japs while helping UK in order for them to win. NO i dont advise in reality many islands will be victory objectives, but guadalcanal should be considered consideration since that campaign was bitterly contested. Again as in other posts Japan should only have to take out china, austrailia, india, and all or most of pacific islands to win her victory and say hold it for a couple of turns. That would be victory for them that they realistically could achieve, not africa and moscow...

Larry

Post by Larry » Thu Dec 30, 2004 9:15 pm

Comments noted
Yeah, I don't think we airports per se. I am considering reducing the range of aircraft. This will make islands more important in the Pacific. A little secret or call it insight... My Bomber range was based on Allied bomers flying from UK to Germany and back. That's what set the bomber range for the entire Axis & Allies game system.