Airports

Thanks for your input todate. Here is a collection of my thinking at this point. Please feel free to participate in this on going discussion. Your contributions are appreciated. Tell your A&A friends about this so they have a chance to voice what they want in A-A&A. I'll update the the original posting as changes and new ideas are adopted or contemplated.
elbowmaster

Airports

Post by elbowmaster » Sun Dec 19, 2004 10:01 pm

comments about Airports...
larry wrote:Airports: Airports can automatically defend neighboring territories and sea zones.
Last edited by elbowmaster on Mon Mar 07, 2005 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Guerrilla Guy

Post by Guerrilla Guy » Mon Dec 20, 2004 12:04 pm

Airfields were in all theatres of War... why not just make CAP?
"We're airborne. We’re supposed to be surrounded."

Dick Winters to 2nd Lt. George Rice after being told that the 101st Airborne would be surrounded at Bastogne

Games are like my Avatar...

Krieghund

Post by Krieghund » Mon Dec 20, 2004 12:59 pm

I am not sure I like the idea of air bases as they exist in AAP. I would rather see air bases represent islands that are capable of supporting air units. No air base - no air units. This would make for more strategic value for certain islands and for carriers.
A&A Developer and Playtester

"War is much more fun when you're winning!" - General Martok

Larry

Post by Larry » Mon Dec 20, 2004 6:43 pm

Comments noted>>>
Yeah, I’m trying to do something here but I don’t think it will work out.
Air bases are hanging on by a thin thread.

Imperious leader

Post by Imperious leader » Mon Dec 20, 2004 9:22 pm

Airbases are everywhere. Their is no need to say in france their is one but theirs not one in finland. In not sure what Larrys thing is with airports . The only problem is in combat dislodged planes move to another friendly territory in range. Again please lose the airport rule. The war didnt have any news about them except in 1940 hitler tried to destroy them, and USA needed landing sites closer to mainland Japan in order to bomb her.
We really need an Axis and Allies World War one game so i can play that on August 1st, 2014.

SkyPilot

Post by SkyPilot » Tue Dec 21, 2004 11:59 am

Guerrilla Guy wrote:Airfields were in all theatres of War... why not just make CAP?
Airfields were everywhere and could be built in most areas. I don't think Airfields are unique enough for AA global scale.

CAP I do agree with but in land territories would we need to distinguish which ones are still on the ground? Perhaps intercept enemy aircraft with your grounded ones?

Larry

Post by Larry » Tue Dec 21, 2004 12:25 pm

Comments noted
Airports GONE... Airports were to represent something more than just airport per si. In any case, their gone.

Flashman

Post by Flashman » Wed Dec 22, 2004 10:50 am

Agreed. This is why I include so many islands on my maps - they may be economically insignificant, but as long as they can accomodate an air strip they can be of huge strategic value.
My father was actually part of a RN unit that scratch built small airstrips (out of coral!) on captured pacific islands after the original runways had been destroyed by allied bombing.