Ports

Thanks for your input todate. Here is a collection of my thinking at this point. Please feel free to participate in this on going discussion. Your contributions are appreciated. Tell your A&A friends about this so they have a chance to voice what they want in A-A&A. I'll update the the original posting as changes and new ideas are adopted or contemplated.
Imperious leader

Post by Imperious leader » Tue Dec 21, 2004 12:59 am

Well i see your point but it is realistic to have something like this. You can keep track with tokens under the chip placed upside down. The idea is that ships can allways be raised in shallow ports for repair, but sunk in open seas.
We really need an Axis and Allies World War one game so i can play that on August 1st, 2014.

Larry

Post by Larry » Tue Dec 21, 2004 2:04 am

comments noted

Flashman

Post by Flashman » Wed Dec 22, 2004 10:27 am

I definately like the idea of damaged BBsand CVs having to repair in port - makes much more sense.
I've often considered the idea of allowing ships to be declared "in port" and therefore invulnerable to naval attack - however, consider the British bombardment of the French fleet at Oran.
It would also allow for the submarine "hit-and-run" ability I proposed under the subs thread.
A logical extension of this would be that if a territory is captured with ships in port, then those ships are captured (since they cannot take part in the battle), and are converted to the capturing player's units.
The defender may be allowed an attempt to "scuttle" the ships, perhaps after any round of combat.

Larry

Post by Larry » Wed Dec 22, 2004 10:33 am

Comments noted
I like ports. They have many applications in the game. Of course they don't represnt a port per si but rather a special ability to deal with huge shipping and offer protection. Its all kinda abstract.

SkyPilot

Post by SkyPilot » Wed Dec 22, 2004 12:04 pm

Larry wrote:Comments noted
I like ports. They have many applications in the game. Of course they don't represnt a port per si but rather a special ability to deal with huge shipping and offer protection. Its all kinda abstract.
Abstract, yes. For example, would there be specific ports (Portsmouth, South England) or would one port represent all of them in England? Would it be the entire coastal area?

If ports can be bombed, it would force England to repair BB and CV in say, the Northern coast if Portsmouth gets knocked out (by placing a small "bombed" counter on this port). This "specific" port thing could be good or bad, or just too complicated. I do still like the idea of ports...

Larry

Post by Larry » Wed Dec 22, 2004 12:08 pm

comments noted

TMTM

Post by TMTM » Fri Dec 24, 2004 5:05 am

I briefly read all the comments. Just some quick thoughts off the tip of my mind:

How about a rule you can only build navy at ports, or you could make it like an IC you could purchase and setup and only build navy from it.

These are just Idea's - no responce need. :)

adlertag

Re: Ports

Post by adlertag » Fri Dec 24, 2004 8:59 am

larry wrote:Ports: Become strategic objectives.
Ports - protection for ships.
Ships leaving from a port can move 3 sea zones.
Adlertag totally agrees, thank you Larry.