Fortifications

Thanks for your input todate. Here is a collection of my thinking at this point. Please feel free to participate in this on going discussion. Your contributions are appreciated. Tell your A&A friends about this so they have a chance to voice what they want in A-A&A. I'll update the the original posting as changes and new ideas are adopted or contemplated.
thoes426

Post by thoes426 » Tue Dec 21, 2004 6:23 pm

I don't think they should be as expensive as a battleship.
how about this:

Fortification:
Attack: 0
Defend: 3
Move: 0
Cost: 15 IPC

Fortifications allow upto 5 Infantry to Defend at +1 for all rounds of combat.
Fortifications may be taken as a casualty.
Fortifications may be damaged via Bomber in a SBR style raid, a roll of 1 destroys the Fortification, any other rolls are considered misses, this is a one round only raid.
Only one Fortification per border or coastline, players may build any many as they like to defend a territory, they just cannot "stack" Fortifications.
This may be to complicated for some, perhaps allowing only one Fortification per territory period is better?!? :?

Whatever is decided lets at least keep this piece in the new game somehow, someway!

Thoes426 :twisted:
Strength lies not in defense but in attack.
Adolf Hitler

elbowmaster

Post by elbowmaster » Tue Dec 21, 2004 6:41 pm

good thoughts, i hope larry keeps those in the game as well...

personally, i like how derpanzinator handles these in his home brew,

quote from derpanzinator
A simple rule I've used is to build forts for 2 ipc then you can add one per turn using chips and for each fort you increase the defence of one infantry to a 3. The forts can be used as casualities.
but theos idea has merit as well...

hard bringing a tacticle level unit in a strategic level unit game...d day, its pretty easy to see, would 1 fortress represet the entire atlantic wall in a strategic level game???
Last edited by elbowmaster on Tue Dec 21, 2004 6:56 pm, edited 3 times in total.

thoes426

Post by thoes426 » Tue Dec 21, 2004 6:52 pm

good point LBow,
I myself would allow multiple "Forts" per border/seazone to cover all possible entery to the territory i'm wishing to hold.
But I think Larry is more receptive to simplistic complexity ( :lol: )
We can have a Fort piece as long as the functions of that piece do not involve long college lecture style rules. ( :lol: )
Which lot of us here love, details and historical truth, but you can't do that without turning A&A into World in Flames.
so we have a unit that adds to the defense of a few units.
Hey,....... fine by me, just as long as it's there for me to blow my IPC's on! :D
Adolf Hitler

Larry

Post by Larry » Tue Dec 21, 2004 9:18 pm

Comments noted
There is no need to lock the details of this weapon down. Frankly its characteristics will depend on many other factors. No rush on this one. I will put it in the A-A&A game. Of that you can be sure/.

Flashman

Post by Flashman » Wed Dec 22, 2004 9:48 am

I tend to agree that forts should only guard one border of a territory. Malta and Gibraltar were mentioned - but what about Singapore? It was meant to be the key to Britain's eastern Empire but was easilly captured by a few Japanese bicyclists - who had the temerity to attack it from the north when it was in fact built to withstand a sea borne invasion from the south.
This would mean many low cost "fortlets" rather than one massive block haus per territory.

Larry

Post by Larry » Wed Dec 22, 2004 9:51 am

Comments noted
Can’t have them guard one border. Well I guess we could but I’m not crazy about the idea.

thoes426

Post by thoes426 » Wed Dec 22, 2004 1:07 pm

Larry -
Glad to hear that the Bunker piece from D-Day will be making roll call for A-A&A .
It's one of my favorite pieces.

Thoes426 :twisted:
Adolf Hitler

elbowmaster

Post by elbowmaster » Wed Dec 22, 2004 1:20 pm

how could we not have this unit for our games!!!! they are simple to paint as well, ive considered a decal on the back of the fortification to show ownership...perhaps thats overkill...i will post some examples later on tonight...