Fortifications

Thanks for your input todate. Here is a collection of my thinking at this point. Please feel free to participate in this on going discussion. Your contributions are appreciated. Tell your A&A friends about this so they have a chance to voice what they want in A-A&A. I'll update the the original posting as changes and new ideas are adopted or contemplated.
thoes426

Post by thoes426 » Wed Dec 22, 2004 1:33 pm

L-Bow -
:shock: 8) :) SWEETNESS DUDE! too cool 8)
Those look even better painted.
A decal on the piece would be cool, but simply casting them in each countries color would be easier.

Thoes426 :twisted:
Strength lies not in defense but in attack.
Adolf Hitler

elbowmaster

Post by elbowmaster » Wed Dec 22, 2004 1:42 pm

yeah i have miniature flags of each nation that would go on the "rear door"

it would be nice to have them in casted colors as well, or even an pillbox looking unit for the japanese islands...

Larry

Post by Larry » Wed Dec 22, 2004 2:17 pm

Comments noted.
Oh oh... Elbows' got out his paint brush. There goes the neighborhood.

adlertag

Post by adlertag » Wed Dec 22, 2004 2:36 pm

About estethic.

The Blockhouse unit from D-day is too small.
It must have same size as a tank.

The real fortification lines from ww 2 had their own units and organisation.
Usualy, a fort division was made of 3 MG battalions and an artillery battery. An infantry division was made of 3 infantry battalions and an artillery battery.
All fortification lines in ww2 was build on borders, and could not be moved around. France had its best units in Maginot Line. Because of their heavy equipement, they could not attack Germany in aug. 1939, but had to sit and wait. When Germany attacked through Ardennes, the Line was by-passed.

For game purpose.
All units, including AA-guns and Forts, must be able to stack.
Forts are placed on borderlines between land/land or land/sea.
If attacked/amphibious assaultet, the forts roll dice in opening fire step.
They kill units in adjacent territory/sea-zone. That means transports and ships if amphibipous assaulted.

In first round of attack it roll 5 or less( 6 sidet dice)
In next rounds it roll 3 or less.
(Yes, it looks like "Stuka-rule " from LHTR.)

Because of its long range big guns and heavy machine-guns, Forts must roll dice in opening fire step. Just look to western front in ww 1.

Concret, barbed wire and mines are relatively cheap, only the big guns cost something.
I would say,, it cost 10 ipc if it roll dice in opening fire step.
If not, it cost 5 ipc. It cant move, and can be by-passed.

Larry

Post by Larry » Wed Dec 22, 2004 3:22 pm

Comments noted

Adlertag – all good suggestions… I will revisit your comments here when the time comes. I, in reality, don’t know if the forts will be bigger.

elbowmaster

Post by elbowmaster » Wed Dec 22, 2004 3:26 pm

i think the size was just addressing the limitations to the space on the board...the smaller unit for fortresses is ok with me...i dont mind what size we have now for fortification units, id rather have those smaller, then to have anorexic looking panthers, please bring back the AAE panthers...

Imperious leader

Post by Imperious leader » Wed Dec 22, 2004 4:00 pm

lets just use what we got , the cost of making a new mold when the money was allready invested is wasted a second time. This has been made very clear by larry that this is not a "pieces" game. Its focus is better rules and larger map not gobs of plastic for some of us unit freeks ( like me).
We really need an Axis and Allies World War one game so i can play that on August 1st, 2014.

thoes426

Post by thoes426 » Wed Dec 22, 2004 4:39 pm

I agree that the creation of a bigger Fortress piece is not necessary.
What is available is perfectly fine, besides none of the pieces in any A&A game are in scale to each other, and space is limited on the game boards.

I too suffer from the aliment: ''Needalotttapieces" - a common affliction of A&A board gamers that 100 Panzer tanks is still not enough!
:lol:

Let's be happy that it's making it into the game period.

Thoes426 :twisted:
Strength lies not in defense but in attack.
Adolf Hitler