Fortifications

Thanks for your input todate. Here is a collection of my thinking at this point. Please feel free to participate in this on going discussion. Your contributions are appreciated. Tell your A&A friends about this so they have a chance to voice what they want in A-A&A. I'll update the the original posting as changes and new ideas are adopted or contemplated.
elbowmaster

Fortifications

Post by elbowmaster » Sun Dec 19, 2004 10:00 pm

comments about Fortifications...
larry wrote:Fortifications: cannot move, have no attack or defense value. Only one per territory. Each unit positioned with a fort has its defense factor increased to some degree.
Forts can take hits and be destroyed.
They can be captured if they are the last remaining defensive unit.
Last edited by elbowmaster on Wed Oct 04, 2006 9:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.

thoes426

Post by thoes426 » Mon Dec 20, 2004 1:24 pm

This sounds good to me, yet I find myself thinking about those Blockhouses from AA:Day. I think they should be included as well.
They could be built only on coasts. They would attack and defend against Amphibious landings and attacks into the territory they occupy. they could be taken as a hit during combat too.
I really love those pieces!

Thoes426 :twisted:
Strength lies not in defense but in attack.
Adolf Hitler

Larry

Post by Larry » Mon Dec 20, 2004 6:19 pm

Comments noted
I’m talking about those pieces Thoes…

thoes426

Post by thoes426 » Mon Dec 20, 2004 6:51 pm

Larry -
COOL!
glad to hear that, now how about giving them an attack and defense ability as well as the defensive bonus to units in the same area?

Thoes426 :twisted:
Strength lies not in defense but in attack.
Adolf Hitler

Guerrilla Guy

Post by Guerrilla Guy » Mon Dec 20, 2004 7:16 pm

How about making fortifications allow a first shot attack for supported inf and artillery? That way an owner may want to purchase multiple ones for each Territory to allow for construction of better fortifications in territories that are more valuble to the owner?

GG
"We're airborne. We’re supposed to be surrounded."

Dick Winters to 2nd Lt. George Rice after being told that the 101st Airborne would be surrounded at Bastogne

Games are like my Avatar...

Imperious leader

Post by Imperious leader » Mon Dec 20, 2004 9:03 pm

fortification unit:

Fortifications: Not exactly a combat unit but represents the construction of a fortified defensive position at the cost of two IP to start for the first level, and one additional IP for each level up to a maximum of six .No more than three can be built during a game turn. Each level “adsorbs” one hit during the combat phase which shields defending units from attack. Note: the fortifications only cover the area of the border between two adjacent territories. If an attack is conducted from yet another border from a different direction then the fortification has no effect of that combat. When the last level is reached the fortifications are considered destroyed and the defender must now start removing units that are hit during the combat round. Exceptions: In the 1939 scenario, France starts with a twelve level fortification along the Franco-German border which is removed once France falls. In the 1942 scenario, Germany has a nine level fortification known as the Siegfried line that extends from the Switzerland border to the end of the Belgium border. United Kingdom starts with two full (6) fortifications at Gibraltar and Malta.

or this idea:

Fortifications:
These units can be added to any controlled territory for the cost of 10 IP and can defend only with two rolls each combat round with a defense value of 6/6.They “protect” the defending units from direct attack. The units inside the fortress cannot be affected by attacking combat rolls until the fortress is destroyed by a roll of 1-2 only. Once built they cannot move and if destroyed cannot be reused by enemy forces. The maximum number of fortresses is limited to the IP value of the territory and in the case of China is limited to one.
We really need an Axis and Allies World War one game so i can play that on August 1st, 2014.

SkyPilot

Re: Fortifications

Post by SkyPilot » Tue Dec 21, 2004 11:32 am

larry wrote:Fortifications: cannot move, have no attack or defense value. Only one per territory. Each unit positioned with a fort has its defense factor increased to some degree.
Forts can take hits and be destroyed.
They can be captured if they are the last remaining defensive unit.
This works for me, though how much should they cost considering one per territory and benefits to all units within the fort?

Larry

Post by Larry » Tue Dec 21, 2004 12:32 pm

Comments noted
The cost will be determined. At this point I don't even know if we want them. I think we do however. I think fortifications represent a big and expensive effort. The defensive contribution is considerable - they will be expensive... What do you think they should cost? More than a battleship?