Cruisers

Thanks for your input todate. Here is a collection of my thinking at this point. Please feel free to participate in this on going discussion. Your contributions are appreciated. Tell your A&A friends about this so they have a chance to voice what they want in A-A&A. I'll update the the original posting as changes and new ideas are adopted or contemplated.
thoes426

Post by thoes426 » Tue Dec 21, 2004 6:43 pm

the Cruiser Larry has described is good enough as is.
but if your wanting to add to it a special ability so that it stands out when compared to other ships, which each have a certian specialty that only they can perform. (so far)
Give it an AA gun type feature.

and there you have it, a naval piece that is cheaper than a BB but still shore bombards, plus also serves as the "AA gun" of the fleet.

It's not overly complex either.

Thoes426 :twisted:
Strength lies not in defense but in attack.
Adolf Hitler

elbowmaster

Post by elbowmaster » Tue Dec 21, 2004 7:07 pm

i remember gaming that way, using an aa gun carried by a transport to act as cover against air...

i know pretty simplistic and cheesy, but it was cool...

18 more bad ideas from me till i hit the one good one ;)

Larry

Post by Larry » Tue Dec 21, 2004 9:11 pm

Comment noted
I’m quickly losing interest in Cursers. The fact is the game does not really need the piece. Frankly it’s characteristics are too close to that of a battleship. When you think about it – we’ve pretty much got ships covered. Your thoughts….

Imperious leader

Post by Imperious leader » Tue Dec 21, 2004 11:14 pm

no we need this. Some nations cant afford battleships, while other nations need a middle ship that can be trusted to carry out fleet operations, whose only antagonist is destroyers. Second , we are promoting a pacific war concept and large navies which include heavy cruisers are the ticket to interesting sea battles.
We really need an Axis and Allies World War one game so i can play that on August 1st, 2014.

Larry

Post by Larry » Tue Dec 21, 2004 11:18 pm

Comments noted
Il - You bring up some excellent points.

Wait! Don't kill that Cruser idea yet!

SkyPilot

Post by SkyPilot » Tue Dec 21, 2004 11:20 pm

Larry wrote:Comment noted
I’m quickly losing interest in Cursers. The fact is the game does not really need the piece.
It's never good when you start searching for reasons or special abilities just to have a ship. Conversely, AA needed a middle-ground naval unit and so the much-loved Destoyer was born. Don't get me wrong, I'd be more than ok with a new cruiser unit, but I'd rather see the plastic go to something neccesary.

Larry

Post by Larry » Wed Dec 22, 2004 12:30 am

Comments noted

Lobo

Post by Lobo » Wed Dec 22, 2004 1:53 am

I think cruisers are needed. They serve as a good middle ground between Destroyers and capital ships.

In the current AAR the destroyer unit actually fills the role of the cruiser--a secondary combatant for nations that cannot afford Battleships. It's also the most universally condemned unit. Too expensive and not flexible enough compared to Carriers and transports.

The problem is you only need 1 to protect against subs and you can just buy masses of transports which pack a decent punch while still serving their primary function of moving land units. No one would dare risk a bomber against a group of 3 or more lone transports. This is not right.

My solution is:

-Reduce the cost of destroyers, make it necessary to have more than one
for anti-submarine duties.
-Reduce the defence value of transports to 0
-Increase the cost of carriers
-Add cruisers as a middle weight piece in-between destroyers and
battleships/carriers. They should pack enough punch and be priced to make them a viable alternative to packs of destroyers or a carrier.