Summer 2012 WW2 Class

Show off your A&A photographs and Game maps.
timerover51

Summer 2012 WW2 Class

Post by timerover51 » Wed Aug 15, 2012 6:07 pm

Map Jan 1939.jpg
Map Jan 1939.jpg (228.03 KiB) Viewed 5419 times
This is the Global 1939 map from Historical Board Gaming we used in the summer World War 2 class. The map is set up for early 1939, as the Spanish Civil War is still ongoing, which is why you have German and Italian units in Spain.

We were using the pumpkin-colored Japanese miniatures for Italy so we had enough naval units, while for the Japanese we were using the red units from the first edition Pacific game. For some of the minor neutrals and Finland, we were using miniatures from Xeno games, and some from the Civilization Game by Eagle Games. They have a good dragoon unit to use as modern cavalry, useful for the Poles and the Mongolians. We used steam locomotives from the War: Age of Imperialism game by Eagle Games to represent the Trans-Siberian Railway.

The rules when we actually had the students running the game, rather than going through the events up to the Summer of 1940 are based on the Classic A&A rules, with a bunch of additions, including separate unit combat values and costs for each country in the game, along with Technology Development Rules and Random Events. The set up is based on the military situation as of early 1939. For the game, we used a set up for 1 September 1939.

XRJohn

Re: Summer 2012 WW2 Class

Post by XRJohn » Wed Aug 15, 2012 6:14 pm

That's freakin sweet!

timerover51

Post by timerover51 » Wed Aug 15, 2012 6:21 pm

One of the other rules we put in was that any country could build one unit per turn on its homeland, without an Industrial Center. Also, countries could purchase military equipment from other countries, mainly the US.

MrFreeze

Post by MrFreeze » Sun Aug 19, 2012 6:32 pm

That's awesome! I would've loved a class like that. HBG's Global War 1939 is a great game.

Der Kuenstler

Post by Der Kuenstler » Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:03 pm

Why didn't they have that class when I was in school?? :(

Imperious leader

Post by Imperious leader » Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:14 am

They do if you go to summer school where minimal learning takes place and is a rather glorified day care. Just see if they can get away with playing boardgames during the regular semesters.
We really need an Axis and Allies World War one game so i can play that on August 1st, 2014.

timerover51

Post by timerover51 » Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:12 pm

Der Kuenstler wrote:Why didn't they have that class when I was in school?? :(
MrFreeze wrote:That's awesome! I would've loved a class like that. HBG's Global War 1939 is a great game.
It was a bit more than just a game class, as we covered the events from the September 1938 Munich crisis to the Summer of 1940, with the attack of the British on the French Fleet at Mers-el-Kebir. We had the students role-playing the various World leaders, covering most of Europe and the Far East. We did spend a day on the Nomonhan Incident between the USSR and Japan on the Mongolia-Manchurian Border in the summer of 1939, as the result of that was the Japanese decision to move south against the Netherlands East Indies and Southeast Asia. We also spent some time on the Winter War between the USSR and Finland in November 1939 to March 1940, and pointed out that while Italy sent considerable aid to the Finns, along with the UK, France, the US, and others, Germany sent nothing. We only had a couple of days for the students to play the simulation, making their owns decisions. Basically, it is an intensive class in the events leading up to the start of World War 2 and then how the war was fought.

We did have one father visit the class room during the Open House on the final night of the session to find out what was this class that had kids on the bus discussing the importance of Rumanian Oil to the German economy, and how the French had a good fleet and poor air force, when they really needed a good air force and a so-so fleet.

We will be running the simulation as a games workshop on the 20th of October somewhere in the north Chicago suburbs, I am not sure if the location has been finalized. Given the fact that we had 45 students in the two classes, I anticipate a pretty good turnout.

Our tentative plan for next year is to start the class at the Summer of 1940, and see if we can make it to Pearl Harbor, but also set aside at least a week for the students to play the simulation. I have a lot of information on the Japanese decision making process for going to war with the Allies. We also use the Ciano Diaries quite a lot, and I have been going through the British Official history for the Mediterranean, getting more information on the discussions of the British and the French with the Greeks, the Yugoslavs, and the Turks prior to the Spring of 1941, when the Germans moved into the Balkans.

Update, we will be running two game workshops, one on October 20, a Saturday, and one on December 27th, which is a Thursday.

HBG

Post by HBG » Wed Aug 21, 2013 11:39 am

Very nice, glad to see it being used as a great learning tool.
Doug Friend