Professor Flashy's 20 Point Formula

Show off your A&A photographs and Game maps.
Flashman

Post by Flashman » Sat Aug 25, 2007 8:43 pm

You mean the one in which Hitler, Mussolini, Stalin, Churchill and Tojo completely respected the neutrality of small countries by not invading them?

Nuclear

Post by Nuclear » Sat Aug 25, 2007 10:22 pm

Imperious leader wrote:But the game does not do 'what -ifs' ..Rather it sticks to the actual war as it was fought.
It does not?

Russia has an open war with Japan. (That did not accur until the very end of the war.)

Nations remain neutral thoughout the whole game and never enter. In the real war some of them if not a lot entered near the very end.

I know and understand your point for the most part. I just thought I would point some of this stuff out.
There are 10 types of people in the world. Those that understand Binary and those that do not.

Imperious leader

Post by Imperious leader » Sun Aug 26, 2007 1:54 am

You mean the one in which Hitler, Mussolini, Stalin, Churchill and Tojo completely respected the neutrality of small countries by not invading them?
To the extent where he actually didn't do things other than what he did then yes. The war was lost already by the spring of 1942 because the entry of USA and a vibrant USSR would preclude those things from happening. So Basically Germany was in no position to invade Turkey after they already failed in 1941 to end the war. In 1942 They could only dictate a smaller portion of the front and only for a limited time, while in 1941 they had resources built up for full offensive for 6 months.

And thats why his wise generals wanted to retreat to a shorter line after the failure of 1941 and regroup the forces. The depleted forces were not fully ready for the same efforts in 1942. It would take a full year to recuperate and rebuilt the Panzers and Germany wasn't even fully mobilized. Now your 'what -ifs' become a dim prospect.
We really need an Axis and Allies World War one game so i can play that on August 1st, 2014.

Chairman

Post by Chairman » Fri Aug 31, 2007 2:49 am

Flashman, I think that maps should lose points if they repeat the awful portrayal of China like AAP. The provinces are terribly inaccurate, and even using a modified modern map off of google can achieve a many times better solution. Also, the provinces should be named using a more appropriate language. While the southern territories should indeed use the Cantonese-based Wade-Giles, Pinyin should be used for the north. Just a thought.

Chairman

Flashman

Post by Flashman » Fri Aug 31, 2007 2:56 pm

To be fair China is difficult to do. The provinces are too small to fit the scale of most maps, so you have to compromise.
One thing I don't like is the portrayal of Hong Kong as a huge circular province when in fact it is a tiny island off the Chinese coast. This is one of those annoying eyesores that is often repeated by people who don't bother to look at a real map. I might therefore consider deducting a point for this on the grounds of geographical impossibilities (19).

Chairman

Post by Chairman » Fri Aug 31, 2007 4:01 pm

Agreed, Flashman. But players could make more of an effort than just copying AAP's horrible portrayal of the Chinese provinces. Like I said, one could even just use a modern map, and even though it's not perfectly accurate, it is many times better than AAP. Also, the names can be changed independant of how the provinces look. Really, for someone who knows the real names (like me), it can be amazingly painful to look at some of those maps.

On Hong Kong: there really is no way to perfectly show the Island's position. It's the same as Singapore. Also, Hong Kong is actually made of several parts, the main ones being Hong Kong Island and what is known as Kowloon or New Territories, which is part of the mainland. So Hong Kong really is attached to the mainland, especially if you consider the bridges.

Flashman

Post by Flashman » Fri Aug 31, 2007 7:20 pm

Mmmm, I have Hong Kong as a naval base in Canton territory, Singapore as the same (and a VC) in Malaya.

Do you have any comments on the general layout of China on my map? I've never been entirely happy with it, and would consider useful suggestions.

One thing I've been considering is making Sinkiang and possibly Kansu desert areas, this depends somewhat on which rulesI use as to how deserts effect movement, combat and possibly stacking limits.

Also China on my HOTW map:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/fileinfo.php?fileid=19372

Chairman

Post by Chairman » Sat Sep 01, 2007 2:12 am

Gah!!! Interesting... Better...wow, more powerful Communists. Valiant attempt. very Valiant.

No, this is getting better, Flashman. I'm intrigued why you game Xinjiang (Sinkiang) and Gansu (Kansu) to the Communists, though I would guess that this is because they would too weak otherwise.

Yes, Guangzhou (Canton)/Hong Kong is good, as well as Singapore.

Is Tibet impassable or just starting neutral?

I like the way you have protected Sichuan from the Japanese. However, Canton should be owned by the Nationalists (if before 1944).

Overall, why simpler, this is an improvement over AAP and the like. Good job Flashman.

Chairman