my Axis & Allies Total War

Show off your A&A photographs and Game maps.
Mimmo

Post by Mimmo » Sat Jan 19, 2008 1:48 am

Dear Flying Tiger,
thank you for your post and I’m glad to reply as below.

>Mimmo this map is exactly what I would want. You obviously used alot from AAP(I have this) and AAE(I assume).
Yes, the basic idea was create a tribute to New Edition, Europe and Pacific so the first version of my map is a fusion of the mentioned games map’s in a very large scale.

>I can't tell in your pics but is Moscow where it should be?
In the more accurate version that I’m drawing I have repositioned Moscow as well.

>Your sea zones have too many 4 corner spaces(4 zones that meet at the corners). I wouldn't use 4 corners for a sea zones. Other than that I think it is perfect.
I totally removed the 4 corner.

>This is probably what DELUXE AA would look like. Larry take notes
Thanks for appreciate my work.

>Did you ever get the map uploaded anywhere like IL mentioned?
No not yet. Unfortunately in this period I no have enough time because here in Phuket we are in very peak tourist season and I’m forced to stop the development of the final version of the map.
I’ll upload the map somewhere once I’ll have finish it.

Ciao, ciao.
Mimmo
SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

Member of http://axisandallies.forumup.it, the FIRST Italian Forum on the web

Imperious leader

Post by Imperious leader » Sat Jan 19, 2008 3:11 pm

make sure those rules on PDF are in english.

mediafire.com allows large format free uploads.
We really need an Axis and Allies World War one game so i can play that on August 1st, 2014.

Flying Tiger

Post by Flying Tiger » Tue Feb 12, 2008 4:48 pm

Mimmo, a couple more questions....

1. USA has some blue ships and blue aircraft. Does this mean anything or is it just for the cool look.

2. I don't notice much of a British presence in the Indian or Pacific Oceans. Were they that weak? You did some research on the setup so I can assume no CVs or BB in the pacific for British? I thought they had some BB there.

3. Minor....Celebes and Borneo IMO should be in the same sea zone. How you have it a fighter could never attack either island and get back.
Foolish mortals, I will destroy you all!!!
NOT

Mimmo

Post by Mimmo » Mon Feb 18, 2008 12:35 am

Dear Flying Tiger,
apologise for the late reply but in this period I cannot found one free minute.

>1. USA has some blue ships and blue aircraft. Does this mean anything or is it just for the cool look.

The blue aircraft are the Grumman F6F Hellcat taken and painted from A&A Europe and Chance Vought F4U Corsair cutted and painted from the German Stuka. Its mean that these fighters are “carried based fighter”, in my game the land based fighter (e.g. the P 38) cannot land on aircraft.

The dark green aircrafts carrier (not blue, maybe the pictures was not so clear) are the Essex class that in my game are considered as “attack carrier” instead the normal miniature that represent the Yorktown class likes “fleet carrier”.

The dark green destroyers are US cruisers.

>2. I don't notice much of a British presence in the Indian or Pacific Oceans. Were they that weak? You did some research on the setup so I can assume no CVs or BB in the pacific for British? I thought they had some BB there

In fact the game start with one battleship (HMS Prince of Wales) and one battlecruiser (HMS Repulse) in the sea zone near Singapore. There is also a task force approaching the Indian Ocean coming from South Atlantic in order to simulate – on the 2nd turn – the invasion of the Vichy Madagascar.
My game starts in April/May 1941, I displaced this task force one turn far from Madagascar in order to give to the British player the choice to attack the Madagascar or move these forces to another scenario.
I take some information from:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Madagascar
For the Royal Navy displacement I found also some information at:

>3. Minor....Celebes and Borneo IMO should be in the same sea zone. How you have it a fighter could never attack either island and get back.

Yes, in the final version of my map I’m totally redrawing the sea zone in more accurate and more playable version.
SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

Imperious leader

Post by Imperious leader » Mon Feb 18, 2008 3:32 pm

Lookup Nagumo's sortie in the Indian ocean to fight Admiral Somerville just before Coral Sea. The British lad lots of ships and that was after those 2 battlecruisers were sunk.
We really need an Axis and Allies World War one game so i can play that on August 1st, 2014.

Black Fox

Post by Black Fox » Sun Apr 20, 2008 4:26 am

What I like about this map is the Atlantic. I never did like the idea that the US could ship troops from the Eastern US to Africa in one turn. The way this one is set up is that it takes two turns to cross the Atlantic. Plus there are safe areas for the German subs to lurk out of range of aircraft from the US. This is the way it really was and I think this creates a more balance play. On the other hand the Pacific seems to have a few zones too many.

Over all, I really like the look of the map. To me it give that WWII era feel to it. Very nice job!

IchBinDerKaiser

Re: my Axis & Allies Total War

Post by IchBinDerKaiser » Thu Aug 27, 2009 3:39 pm

Could you go through the process you went through to come at this map? I think it's awesome and I don't know how to make a map of this production quality.
The only difference between reality and fiction? Fiction has to make sense.- Tom Clancey.

Mimmo

Re: my Axis & Allies Total War

Post by Mimmo » Fri Aug 28, 2009 9:06 am

I draw the map using Photoshop.
I made a careful study of geopolitical boundaries to 1941, when the version of my game starts.
I'm completing the final and definitive version that includes some more territories - always historically correct to the period in which we refer.
I could add many territories because my map is very large 2.4 x 1.4 meters and is designed for play very long match because we can leave the game mounted in a separate room.
SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM