What is sad to see

Got a question that you'd like me to answer?
I'll be checking in on this thread now and then and hope I can answer any questions you may have.
Wittman

Re: What is sad to see

Post by Wittman » Mon Oct 01, 2012 2:11 pm

Excellent post kaufschtick

Flashman

Post by Flashman » Fri Feb 21, 2014 3:49 pm

Larry is not God; get over it.

Most intelligent designers see their games as organic entities, and are quite happy for there to be "living rules" subject to revisions and improvement.

Otherwise, this forum wouldn't exist.

AC

Post by AC » Mon Feb 24, 2014 7:04 am

I love axis and allies as I'm sure almost every person on these forums does. I don't see anything wrong however, with people commenting on positives as well as negatives. It's the internet. Of course people will speak their mind. I think it would be very boring if everyone just praised the game each post and didn't provide any critique.

Turf77

Post by Turf77 » Thu Feb 27, 2014 12:22 pm

I understand the OP and the palpable frustration embedded in it. I have played with folks who want to "fine-tune" certain aspects of the game in order to try something new, or to give their personal strategy a leg up.

I have long since discarded any emotion when discussing the rule "tweaks" that people offer, and agree to try almost anything just to see what happens. We also agree to keep that particular change in play when we switch sides.

Knowing that your rule tweak will be utilized by your enemy, after he has seen you try to implement it, tends to give a moment of pause on ridiculous rule changes.

Some have been commenting that if a person doesn't like debate, then he must dislike democracy. Although that might be true, it is specious reasoning. After all, democracy has its limits when placed on board games. How many of you would play chess with someone who really thinks the kind should be able to move as the queen does? Does that mean that anyone who outright refuses to play that way hates democracy? No, it simply means that the individual has reached a point where he is content with the rules as they are, and won't accept any further changes.

The OP seems to say that the rules are fine as is, and we should just get to playing. Not all of us are in that space, but I am sure if he offered to play a game with any of us, we would accept.

(With the rule that German tanks can move 3 through unoccupied territories.) :lol:

Flashman

Post by Flashman » Sun Mar 02, 2014 9:37 am

Dare I suggest that Chess has been more extensively playtested than Axis and Allies 1914?

Turf77

Post by Turf77 » Mon Mar 03, 2014 2:52 pm

Flashman wrote:Dare I suggest that Chess has been more extensively playtested than Axis and Allies 1914?
There are a few variations of chess that are accepted by some people, but scorned by others.

For example - Death Chess. You attempt to get all of your pieces destroyed before your opponent's. Any piece that can kill another must do so.

Another example is that the pawns cannot move two spaces as an opening move.

Some would argue that these changes change the game into something other than chess. That is something for the philosophers to debate.

My point is simply that you can have variations on anything, and to refuse to employ each and every one does not necessarily mean you dislike democracy.