Optional rule for scrambling air units for Larry to look at

Got a question that you'd like me to answer?
I'll be checking in on this thread now and then and hope I can answer any questions you may have.
Imperious leader

Re: Optional rule for scrambling air units for Larry to look

Post by Imperious leader » Sun Nov 07, 2010 2:10 pm

Ok more changes:

Airbase: can scramble fighters after one combat round
( announce they are coming in for the next round)

NO Airbase: cannot scramble fighters

Radar: lets you scramble them immediately.

AB takes 6 damage points, each undamaged point allows one fighter to scramble.

BTW the fighter concept i use is nothing more than a hybrid of my old 2004-5 idea and presented in the AARHE. We call it defensive air support missions or DAS missions.

http://www.axisandallies.org/files/AARHE%20Rules.pdf
We really need an Axis and Allies World War one game so i can play that on August 1st, 2014.

WILD BILL

Post by WILD BILL » Mon Nov 08, 2010 5:37 pm

IL, this thread wasn't created to lobby for tech changes to the game. Radar is a tech, it has no platform here. This thread is to look at the possibility of expanding the ability to scramble air units for all AB's in the game. It is to see if there is an interest out there to do so (which there seems to be). Also to talk about how it will effect game play, and what limits (if any) should be looked at as well. Should there be different limits applied to the continental AB's vs island AB's. Finally if these continental AB's should also be able to def land tt's, and if so at what level.

If you have anything to add that doesn't include radar, then feel free to post. Other wise start your own thread on how radar tech should be changed, and its many uses in the game. I'm not trying to be an A-hole, but just keeping it on point. I think radar tech could be expanded into AB's at some point for realism. I also would like to look at radar/sonar for the navy, but not here. Lets not put the cart before the horse.

I think Larry will give us some direction here at some point to test out.

Eagle

Post by Eagle » Tue Nov 09, 2010 4:00 pm

The beauty of Axis&Allies used to be that it was real simple to play, so you could focus on the strategy, and not the rules. That is history.

I start to think that the factory rules from AA50 Ann is better, let the territory's IPC value decide how many units to be mobilized there. Hey, we could even say that an Airbase let you scramble fighters into adjacent spaces, both seazones and territory, that would be a simple rule in the spirit of A&A. Better than the more advance "only from island wich is not split and in a seazone that is not split etc"

Infrastructure

Post by Infrastructure » Tue Nov 09, 2010 5:33 pm

I think fighters should be able to scramble from all tt with AB's, but that the ftrs must be "tipped" and can't be used for combat movement on its powers next turn. In this way you do not limit them, but you put them at risk. They would always defend their tt though, even if tipped.

Rapugnak

Post by Rapugnak » Fri Nov 12, 2010 1:39 pm

i like the idea of srambling however,no unit limits should be applied if a player has20 fighters on an island they should be allowed to scramble th majority of them .
after all if a huge naval task force was in the area would they be willing to attack or even move through the area if a large airbase is known to be in the vicinity,probably not unless they had made the proper preparations to do so... so any player that chooses to spend their income on aircraft or an airfeild they should be able to use them just like a player should be able to move a fleet any where thet want

this almost falls under a stack limit which i always disagree with

calvinhobbesliker

Post by calvinhobbesliker » Fri Nov 12, 2010 1:55 pm

Rapugnak wrote:i like the idea of srambling however,no unit limits should be applied if a player has20 fighters on an island they should be allowed to scramble th majority of them .
after all if a huge naval task force was in the area would they be willing to attack or even move through the area if a large airbase is known to be in the vicinity,probably not unless they had made the proper preparations to do so... so any player that chooses to spend their income on aircraft or an airfeild they should be able to use them just like a player should be able to move a fleet any where thet want

this almost falls under a stack limit which i always disagree with

I agree, if you limit the number of planes you can scramble, you must logically limit the number of planes that can land on an island.

WILD BILL

Post by WILD BILL » Sat Nov 20, 2010 4:48 pm

I'm glad to see that many of the ideas that came out of this topic (and the many others like it) made it to the trial stages. Its pretty cool that we have Larry's ear so to speak.

You do... and I think it's pretty cool that I have your collective input. Look... 3 aircraft limit on scrambles. If you want to add more air defense to naval operations BUY a carrier.

LH