Balancing Global with the USSR

Got a question that you'd like me to answer?
I'll be checking in on this thread now and then and hope I can answer any questions you may have.
Tralis

Balancing Global with the USSR

Post by Tralis » Sun Aug 01, 2010 2:54 pm

My understanding is that Europe and Pacific are each balanced to be played alone, and the philosophy is that combining them shouldn't change this. I've seen the setups for Pacific, Europe, and Global now. It seems the Allies get a big advantage playing in Global as compared to Europe. The USSR gets an additional 9 IPCs that are unlikely to be molested by the Japanese until fairly late in the game. The UK now gets West India, which seems a vital tool to keeping the Rising Sun away from east India. Those are two big advantages. ANZAC gets an extra infantry to help the UK in Africa, but I don't see that as terribly big. Then, of course, Germany gets an extra 2 IPCs for sacking Paris because of French Indochina. Assuming that E40 does not favor the axis, what keeps the USSR from being unreasonably strong in G40?

kreael22

Re: Balancing Global with the USSR

Post by kreael22 » Sun Aug 01, 2010 5:39 pm

1) reduced US income. In pacific they get a 50 IPC wartime NO, in global only 30 i believe.

2) slightly increased Japan income once they take the russian territories. That will happen early, or atleast a few will be traded, if russia stacks up Amur on turn 1 it will be hit with more planes than the russians have infantry, and destroyed. I'd expect by turn 3 around 3-5 of those extra territories will be in the hands of Japan.

Tralis

Re: Balancing Global with the USSR

Post by Tralis » Sun Aug 01, 2010 9:47 pm

Number 1 is definitely true, although its a reduction from 40 to 30, not 50 to 30.
Number 2 won't be a factor until mid to late game. Japan is too weak in mainland asia to slug it out with stacks of 6 infantry, and China is too big a priority.