A&A: Resistance to the digital age

Got a question that you'd like me to answer?
I'll be checking in on this thread now and then and hope I can answer any questions you may have.
elbowmaster
Posts: 1560
Joined: Tue Jun 15, 2004 9:20 am
Location: "western boogerland"
Contact:

Re: A&A: Resistance to the digital age

Post by elbowmaster » Mon Jul 26, 2010 6:53 pm

I'm with Dr Fager on this one.

There is not any reason not to have a pc / iPhone / iPad version of this game.

There should be both. I'd rather not watch Il eat his chili while we game... :P

I would like the choice. This is 2010, not windows 95.

Tralis
Posts: 67
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2009 7:20 pm

Re: A&A: Resistance to the digital age

Post by Tralis » Tue Jul 27, 2010 4:04 am

DrFager wrote:
Tralis wrote:Staring at a monitor while moving a plastic sensor and punching keys can never hope to replace the experience of sitting face to face with friends over a table, sharing food, and moving little miniatures around. One is much more lonely and isolating. I much prefer to see my friends in person when I can. You sound very lonely, Dr. Fager.
Spare me the dramatics. Nobody is arguing in favor of one or the other. They can certainly compliment each other and serve to attract new people into other areas.
Who's being dramatic? The title of the article is "resistance to the digital age." That sets the tone.
elbowmaster wrote:I'm with Dr Fager on this one.

There is not any reason not to have a pc / iPhone / iPad version of this game.

There should be both. I'd rather not watch Il eat his chili while we game... :P

I would like the choice. This is 2010, not windows 95.
I'm all for more options, including PC/Phone/Whatever versions of A&A. I parsed from his post more that he's questioning why physical games are the primary release path in the first place.

DrFager
Posts: 32
Joined: Sun Jul 25, 2010 8:56 am

Re: A&A: Resistance to the digital age

Post by DrFager » Tue Jul 27, 2010 8:44 am

Imperious leader wrote:
Online gambling has never been bigger, so thats not exactly the best example
No its a perfect example: People gamble to make money, but you are confusing making money with playing for fun. People who visit Vegas do it for the fun. If they wanted to gamble they would easily play online. Vegas would then go away and casinos would dry up.

People enjoy playing live. I play in Poker tournaments and even played at WSOP in 2003. I also play tournament Chess until about 2005. Anybody who is anybody in these can tell you its much more fun playing with other people than say sitting at the computer.

The thing is people do both and the live aspect is much more desired. IN the AA world this is more so because AA was designed to be played with teams in a social atmosphere. Thats the bottm line why they are successful as boardgames and not so much as online games.

So this 'resistance' is really nothing except a matter of economics. If the money was in it it would have already been done. Right now its free at gametable.com. This and a few other free sites are the only online platform that can support this game and sustain it.
Most people lose money gambling, so its a flawed premise that gamblers play to make money. That may be the goal, but its not the reality for the vast majority of players. Also, the popularity of online gaming proves the fact that people want action and convenience. Thats not an argument of superiority for either style of play, but more people each and every day play online than those that walk into a casino.

No offense though, Im posing this question to get a response from Larry on the subject, not to have an internet debate with anyone. So its a rather pointless for the two of us to discuss this here.

But, I will say again, this is NOT a simple question of "Why hasnt there been another PC game". For some reason this keeps getting addressed by people other than Larry, but the "Why hasnt there been another PC game" is just a small part in a much larger topic, which is to address the future of the game and its embrace of technology.

Eagle
Posts: 665
Joined: Sat Aug 29, 2009 2:57 pm
Location: Norway

Re: A&A: Resistance to the digital age

Post by Eagle » Tue Jul 27, 2010 9:15 am

I notice that Larry ignore this thread, but you can always discuss with me, drF.

I dont think A&A will make a great pc-game. People that love games with plastic miniatures have a narrow-mindet motivation. Its a reason they dont play action pc games like Grand theft Auto II and Warcraft or the shooter-games.

:NO NAME CALLING PLEASE

DrFager
Posts: 32
Joined: Sun Jul 25, 2010 8:56 am

Re: A&A: Resistance to the digital age

Post by DrFager » Tue Jul 27, 2010 9:36 am

Eagle wrote:I notice that Larry ignore this thread, but you can always discuss with me, drFag.
I posted this on Sunday, so its possible Larry has not ignored the thread, but has been busy.

The chances of him posting are greatly decreased when the thread is littered with the rubbish you posted. For that, you should be proud.

What are you, the forum dunce? When you typed that did you think you were being cute or clever?

Do me a favor and stay off this thread. I've tried my best to present an honest topic for Larry to comment on and your childish name calling is not desired in a discussion aimed at adults.

AxisGirl
Posts: 46
Joined: Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:09 pm

Re: A&A: Resistance to the digital age

Post by AxisGirl » Tue Jul 27, 2010 9:58 am

whoa. calling people names and being a jerk never proves your point. It just makes you look mean.

DrFager
Posts: 32
Joined: Sun Jul 25, 2010 8:56 am

Re: A&A: Resistance to the digital age

Post by DrFager » Tue Jul 27, 2010 10:07 am

AxisGirl wrote:whoa. calling people names and being a jerk never proves your point. It just makes you look mean.
I agree. I hope there are moderators present on this site to address offensive posts, like me being called "dr Fag" by Eagle. Surely homophobic slurs are not tolerated here. I hope his post is deleted so that is does not ruin what was an honest attempt at a meaningful discourse with Larry.
Last edited by DrFager on Tue Jul 27, 2010 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

elbowmaster
Posts: 1560
Joined: Tue Jun 15, 2004 9:20 am
Location: "western boogerland"
Contact:

Re: A&A: Resistance to the digital age

Post by elbowmaster » Tue Jul 27, 2010 10:08 am

Get used to some of the interesting personalities here and try not to let it stop you from posting. Eagle is a long time poster who is still bitter about the black oceans in revised.

Larry tells me that he is not against electronic versions of his games, it is my guess that many of these huge game players are more interested in big graphics and complicated story lines. I hope to see these classics get an app, and think 15 years of waiting is long enough.

Sorry to hijack your thread DrFager.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 21 guests