A&A: Resistance to the digital age

Got a question that you'd like me to answer?
I'll be checking in on this thread now and then and hope I can answer any questions you may have.
DrFager

A&A: Resistance to the digital age

Post by DrFager » Sun Jul 25, 2010 9:20 am

Larry,

First, big fan of your work. I've had countless hours playing your games and am grateful for your hard work.

Im sure its nothing new being asked about a new PC game.

Rather than focus specifically on that question, my interest is in the rationale for having the game exist in an antiquated format like board games. There was a time when board games held sway. Im thankful that I grew up during the tail end of the time period. There is something to be said for sitting around with friends and family, physically moving pieces and enjoying the game in a communal sense. But, those days are long gone.

I own almost every version of the board game that has been produced. I continue to buy the games, though I havent played a physical game of A&A in over a decade! I do it in part to support you and the game and also with the idea that I can break them out with a future kid and pass on the same memories I had as a kid playing the game.

With that said, this format is not going to progress the game. The board game only approach is stunting the progression of the game and is in effect putting a time stamp on it. How does the game have a chance of growing and gathering new(er) fans in a gaming format that simply doesnt have any appeal to the larger potential gamer base?

I just dont understand what is the rationale of focusing on the physical board game over a computer version. Is it a cost issue? Is it a rights issue with the past game producer? Surely there has to be something more than a lack of desire to do so.

Its just hard to beleive that a group of fans (TripleA) with no budget and only the desire to see the game progress in the modern age are left to represent the series by themselves. They should really be commended for their efforts, but as long as they are the only ones doing anything about progressing A&A, the series will always be overlooked by a newer generation.

Im not trying be rude and Im not demanding an answer, but Im curious Larry what is your stance on this issue. There has been consistent progression of the game in its physical form, but shockingly little on the PC front. Surely everyone would agree that it should be the other way around in todays gaming world.

Thanks for the opportunity to post.

Krieghund

Re: A&A: Resistance to the digital age

Post by Krieghund » Sun Jul 25, 2010 9:36 am

Welcome to the site, DrFager.

You bring up some interesting points, but I can't disagree more with your premise that boardgames are a thing of the past. They have entered a new period of resurgence of late, and have been one of the few sectors of the entertainment industry that have not suffered during the economic downturn. There are many companies selling them, and many customers buying them. That doesn't sound antiquated to me. In my opinion, they are a classic form of entertainment that will never go out of style.

Of course, this is not to say that the computer game market should be neglected. It obviously has its own significant share of the market.
A&A Developer and Playtester

"War is much more fun when you're winning!" - General Martok

DrFager

Post by DrFager » Sun Jul 25, 2010 9:47 am

Krieghund wrote:Welcome to the site, DrFager.

You bring up some interesting points, but I can't disagree more with your premise that boardgames are a thing of the past. They have entered a new period of resurgence of late, and have been one of the few sectors of the entertainment industry that have not suffered during the economic downturn. There are many companies selling them, and many customers buying them. That doesn't sound antiquated to me. In my opinion, they are a classic form of entertainment that will never go out of style.

Of course, this is not to say that the computer game market should be neglected. It obviously has its own significant share of the market.
Thanks for the response.

I hope that post didnt come off as too harsh, because that was not my intent. Im just curious what Larry thinks about the longterm progression of the game, without any representation on the digital front and whether he thinks that will be an effective strategy for longterm growth.

The fact that there is still a market for board games is excellent. I support the series by buying these games, even knowing I will never likely play them.

The form of gaming may not be dead, but I do not know anyone that consistently plays board games anymore, though virtually everyone I know has some gaming system or plays games on PC.

Eagle

Post by Eagle » Sun Jul 25, 2010 9:53 am

PC-games are for lesser men.
Real men play board games.

DrFager

Post by DrFager » Mon Jul 26, 2010 10:00 am

Eagle wrote:PC-games are for lesser men.
Real men play board games.
This doesnt address the issue.

AxisGirl

Post by AxisGirl » Mon Jul 26, 2010 10:04 am

What was the issue? I got lost looking at the hunks playing my favorite board game.

DrFager

Post by DrFager » Mon Jul 26, 2010 10:15 am

AxisGirl wrote:What was the issue? I got lost looking at the hunks playing my favorite board game.
I would like to hear thoughts from Larry in regards to his longterm strategy for the growth of the game, as well as his thoughts on how the digital aspect may or may not factor in to that.

Im sure he gets bombarded with the "When will we get a new PC game" talk. While I would love to hear why there hasnt been a new release, Im just as interested in hearing his thoughts on the longterm growth of the game, what steps if any he is taking to future proof the game by attracting new(er) fans, and how may or may not plan on using digital media to achieve those goals.

AxisGirl

Post by AxisGirl » Mon Jul 26, 2010 2:19 pm

Probably because they are working on another great board game! :D