Let's talk about Global Larry.

Got a question that you'd like me to answer?
I'll be checking in on this thread now and then and hope I can answer any questions you may have.
Larry

Re: Let's talk about Global Larry.

Post by Larry » Wed Jul 28, 2010 5:35 pm

... and you me, what with your astute appreciation of such things :lol:

oztea

Post by oztea » Wed Jul 28, 2010 5:46 pm

Larry, the dividing line you set is merely one territory off.
West India should have been on the pacific board, why?
Because it is the last UK controled territory for a while.
I presume, moving westward.....next is Persia, followed by Iraq, both border southern Russian territories, continuing west is Syria, with Turkey above, then to the south Trans-Jordan, the Canal and Egypt.

We (I and some others evidently) find it strange that the Canadian IPC circumnavigates the planet to get to India, while the West India IPCs dont flow to the nearest UK powerbase, but go all the way back to the UK.

It is logical to assume that the West India territory fell under UK Middle Eastern Command, however it is not logical to think a part of canada was under the British East Asian Command.

Really....I am nitpicking, and im sorry. It isnt a lack of forsight on your part Larry....its just a hiccup in design that I see. Im sure you knew about that the two Indias will be on different maps, and belonging to different economies.
Im sure having a UK presance there in E40 was important.
To me, west India belongs more to India, than to the Middle East. The dividing line should have been Iran (Persia, whatever)

Usualy my arguments are about more important things....this one seems pretty anticlimactic. Ill choose something more interesting to quaff about next time.

bennyboyg

Post by bennyboyg » Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:06 pm

Larry wrote:Bennyboyg

I was just thinking that since West India is considered part of the European income ( which I completely understand) but is geographically right next to India proper and is worth 2 IPCs, the UK could build a minor factory in West India, which would allow them to spend what could be a large portion of their income there and move those units that would normally have been sent into Europe into the Pacific.

You said earlier that your rationale for splitting up the incomes was to prevent the UK from dumping all its IPCs in one theater, but I'm kind of worried that you may still be able to do so. Does that make sense?

I understand your question. Let me share my thoughts on this point. I find this to be actually a good element of the game. If the British player wants to periodically focus on the Pacific he can. There’s nothing stopping him from dumping 3 battleships in West India if he wants to. Interestingly enough, however, he or she can’t do the same in England. The idea of the UK Pacific’s income suddenly being combined with UK Europe income and all being place in London was my main reason for splitting the UK income into two different accounts.

Great Britain’s proximity to Germany would make for an impossible, potentially game breaking, situation in Europe. Imagine the UK being able to purchase 45 IPCs worth of units and placing them on Germany’s doorstep each round… (Germany’s starting income is 30 IPCs and Russia’s is 37). It would take one hell of a German player to deal with that kind of centralized British purchasing power. The strategy of using UK Europe IPCs to directly and quickly influence the Pacific is not a bad thing at all. This will give the UK player more options in the Pacific, but yet, not negatively impact the overall game balance and create an impossible imbalance violation that would occur if this same thing could be done in London.

A couple of other aspects to consider, and there is no way you could be aware of them yet. UK Europe has great areas of Africa and the Middle East to deal with. She is hard pressed on both these fronts as well as in Europe itself. There’s not much going to be left over to supply the Pacific economy with much help. In the case of an emergency in India… the UK player now has some wiggle room and can purchase 3 units and place them on the purchased minor IC in West India and eventually get them into combat in Asia. Frankly, I would not be surprised if the majority of the purchased units in West India end up heading for Egypt.

Thanks for pointing out a potential problem, but this is, in fact, not a problem, but an intentional design. I hope you end up liking it.
Thanks for your quick response Larry, It provided a ton of insight. Can't wait for Gen Con and I'm sure the game will be great!

AxisGirl

Post by AxisGirl » Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:46 pm

I know well have this game in less than 30 days! I can hardly wait. One thing thats been bugging me for a while.

Is Egypt divided into a Northern Territory ( containing Tobruk) and a Southern Territory? If it is why not just avoid Tobruk and go for Africa?

Larry

Post by Larry » Wed Jul 28, 2010 8:59 pm

It's more or an East-West rather than a North-South situation.

AxisGirl

Post by AxisGirl » Wed Jul 28, 2010 9:03 pm

Aww. I guess its unavoidable. It seems the Desert Fox retains his Waterloo.

Tralis

Post by Tralis » Wed Jul 28, 2010 9:16 pm

I think you're West India logic makes a lot of sense, actually. Its logical that the UK should be able to subsidize India, but not vice-versa. Good to know.

Larry

Post by Larry » Thu Jul 29, 2010 12:56 am

Oztea
Ill choose something more interesting to quaff about next time.

I'm sure if you try real hard you'll fulfill your grandest ambitions .

We (I and some others evidently) find it strange that the Canadian IPC circumnavigates the planet to get to India, while the West India IPCs dont flow to the nearest UK powerbase, but go all the way back to the UK.

Yeah... it's a vger.

Bennyboyg
Thanks for your quick response Larry, It provided a ton of insight. Can't wait for Gen Con and I'm sure the game will be great!

Good to hear… I’m also impatiently waiting for GenCon and I too am sure the game will be great.

AxisGirl
It seems the Desert Fox retains his Waterloo.

Or Middle Eastern Oil.

Tralis
I think you're West India logic makes a lot of sense, actually. Its logical that the UK should be able to subsidize India, but not vice-versa. Good to know.

Yeah… I think your right.