Let's talk about Global Larry.

Got a question that you'd like me to answer?
I'll be checking in on this thread now and then and hope I can answer any questions you may have.
Tralis

Re: Let's talk about Global Larry.

Post by Tralis » Wed Jul 28, 2010 3:46 am

So, to be clear, in Global the IPCs from West India go to London, and the IPC from West Canada goes to Calcutta? Is this correct?

Or is it such that when playing Global W. India's IPCs go to Calcutta and West Canada's IPC goes to London? Personally this makes a lot more sense to me.

calvinhobbesliker

Post by calvinhobbesliker » Wed Jul 28, 2010 3:52 am

Tralis wrote:So, to be clear, in Global the IPCs from West India go to London, and the IPC from West Canada goes to Calcutta? Is this correct?

Or is it such that when playing Global W. India's IPCs go to Calcutta and West Canada's IPC goes to London? Personally this makes a lot more sense to me.
2nd makes sense, which is why some want West India to be 1 ipcs so they can be interchangable

tarkonis

Post by tarkonis » Wed Jul 28, 2010 7:22 am

Thanks for your replies Larry and Vger!

bennyboyg

Post by bennyboyg » Wed Jul 28, 2010 11:46 am

Larry wrote:bennyboyg
I'm assuming that the West India territory that's on the Europe map is worth at least 2 IPCs, couldn't it be possible for the UK player to build a minor IC there and funnel European troops into India/Pacific? Or it may not be worth 2 IPCs and I may be worrying over nothing. Thanks!

West India is worth 2 IPCs. What exactly are you worried about?
Thanks for your response Larry!
I was just thinking that since West India is considered part of the European income ( which I completely understand) but is geographically right next to India proper and is worth 2 IPCs, the UK could build a minor factory in West India, which would allow them to spend what could be a large portion of their income there and move those units that would normally have been sent into Europe into the Pacific. You said earlier that your rationale for splitting up the incomes was to prevent the UK from dumping all its IPCs in one theater, but I'm kind of worried that you may still be able to do so. Does that make sense?

Thanks!

AxisGirl

Post by AxisGirl » Wed Jul 28, 2010 3:18 pm

how would you be able to do that? the least you could do is put a Factory in the Other India. Which seems pointless. why have two factories. Right next to each other.

WILD BILL

Post by WILD BILL » Wed Jul 28, 2010 3:53 pm

AxisGirl wrote:how would you be able to do that? the least you could do is put a Factory in the Other India. Which seems pointless. why have two factories. Right next to each other.
India (UK Pacific Command) may not have a lot of $ to spend if it can't hold onto Asia/DEI. If Jap is gunning for India, a minor IC on W India will allow Euro UK to get units into the region. Of course it may also give Jap another coastal target.

As far as what $ goes to England, and what goes to India, the map split will keep things simple. The income amounts are on the top of the unit trays for each power for the individual games. If you did a regional split, those income figures wouldn't work. If you trade the 1 Canadian ipc, for the W India 2 ipc it throws things off. Then the Middle East is closer to India as well, so where would you draw the line. It does seem kinda strange to have part of Canada go to the Pac (Geographically), but I'm sure that Canada sent stuff to the Pacific theater. In my mind it makes it right. Pac India not collecting $ from W India is kinda weird, but I like the fact that you can build a minor IC there w/Euro UK. If W India was part of Pac India you wouldn't have that option

Larry

Post by Larry » Wed Jul 28, 2010 4:11 pm

Bennyboyg

I was just thinking that since West India is considered part of the European income ( which I completely understand) but is geographically right next to India proper and is worth 2 IPCs, the UK could build a minor factory in West India, which would allow them to spend what could be a large portion of their income there and move those units that would normally have been sent into Europe into the Pacific.

You said earlier that your rationale for splitting up the incomes was to prevent the UK from dumping all its IPCs in one theater, but I'm kind of worried that you may still be able to do so. Does that make sense?

I understand your question. Let me share my thoughts on this point. I find this to be actually a good element of the game. If the British player wants to periodically focus on the Pacific he can. There’s nothing stopping him from dumping 3 battleships in West India if he wants to. Interestingly enough, however, he or she can’t do the same in England. The idea of the UK Pacific’s income suddenly being combined with UK Europe income and all being place in London was my main reason for splitting the UK income into two different accounts.

Great Britain’s proximity to Germany would make for an impossible, potentially game breaking, situation in Europe. Imagine the UK being able to purchase 45 IPCs worth of units and placing them on Germany’s doorstep each round… (Germany’s starting income is 30 IPCs and Russia’s is 37). It would take one hell of a German player to deal with that kind of centralized British purchasing power. The strategy of using UK Europe IPCs to directly and quickly influence the Pacific is not a bad thing at all. This will give the UK player more options in the Pacific, but yet, not negatively impact the overall game balance and create an impossible imbalance violation that would occur if this same thing could be done in London.

A couple of other aspects to consider, and there is no way you could be aware of them yet. UK Europe has great areas of Africa and the Middle East to deal with. She is hard pressed on both these fronts as well as in Europe itself. There’s not much going to be left over to supply the Pacific economy with much help. In the case of an emergency in India… the UK player now has some wiggle room and can purchase 3 units and place them on the purchased minor IC in West India and eventually get them into combat in Asia. Frankly, I would not be surprised if the majority of the purchased units in West India end up heading for Egypt.

Thanks for pointing out a potential problem, but this is, in fact, not a problem, but an intentional design. I hope you end up liking it.

AxisGirl

Post by AxisGirl » Wed Jul 28, 2010 4:40 pm

Again you impress me with your foresight