Been away too long

Got a question that you'd like me to answer?
I'll be checking in on this thread now and then and hope I can answer any questions you may have.
Larry

Re: Been away too long

Post by Larry » Fri Jan 13, 2017 2:50 am

Hello AC
It’s not because it’s too hard to do a Civil War game… It could be done easily enough – BUT –
It would have to be a bit too farfetched to fit into the A&A economic system. Individual battles is always interesting to do games about - Gettysburg is one that certainly comes to mind. Now a Napoleonic game… that could work well. I have one setting on a shelf right now… I call it Imperial Borders. I kind of put it aside for the moment. I got all caught up with this new project I'm currently bringing to completion at the moment.

Speaking of farfetched… Your distant future game idea is waaay to farfetched for any serious consideration. The next thing you’ll be telling me is he communicates with his little twitter and doesn’t believe his 17 Intelligence agencies when they tell him the Russian Army is crossing the US Mexican border.

AC

Post by AC » Fri Jan 13, 2017 4:40 am

Oh well at least he hasn't said South Korea and Japan should get nuclear weapons........................Oh wait.....he has!!!!

Flashman

Post by Flashman » Fri Jan 13, 2017 4:56 pm

Larry wrote::wink: Gunpowder.
Ah, a Guy Fawkes game! About time.

AC

Post by AC » Fri Jan 13, 2017 7:27 pm

American war of independence Larry?

Larry

Post by Larry » Sat Jan 14, 2017 12:46 am

The Gunpowder Plot of 1605? The first player to drive out all the Papist from England wins! Losers are drawn and quartered after being hung (for a short bit). I think U.S. sales would suffer. Much too violent.

American War of Independence? No, but there are Americans in this game.

Stop… Timeout. I’m beginning to sound like I’m teasing you… Or conducting a 20- Questions game. I don't want to do that.
If I felt it was a good time to talk about i the game iI would – believe me! It is a bit early for me to be spilling the beans about this game just yet. I think it's OK to at least tell you that I've got one coming, however. I hope that's OK with you.

But let me say this about your American War of Independence game question. READ Patrick K. O’Donnell’s book – Washington’s Immortals It’s about an elite Regiment during the Revolution. You’ll feel like you’re with these guys. Patrick is a big fan of A&A and particularly likes 1914. I met him at the U. S. Army War College this last Spring.

A quick funny related story: After my presentation, exhausted, I returned to my hotel room. After reading a bit I retired for the evening. At precisely 3 AM the fire alarm in my room begian to blast. I mean BLAST! I swear I heard someone yell Dive! Dive! Dive! Once I realized in what pitch black place I was awaking to and what that on-again, off-again spotlight was, I put on my house robe and made my way downstairs… No one was in the halls. Not a person in the stairway (you know that you can’t use the elevator at a time like this…). What he hell am I crazy or has everybody already evacuated? Walked to the desk… “What’s going on?" I ask the Lady behind the desk.
“Nothing important… an alarm went off in one of the rooms.” "Was that yours?" She replied.

I said nothing. Turn around and headed back upstairs. By this time scattered groups of hotel guest were up and about trying to find out where all that noise was coming from and what it meant. In my house robe and frankly not feeling too social I said nothing. I entered my room. Stuck some toilet paper in my ears and began to pack. This of course was all a false alarm. Something triggered it - perhaps the Russian tinkering with our power grid.

With my just packed suitcase in hand and fully dressed I took the elevator down to the lobby. Looked at the Receptionist and said… That is my room’s alarm, and I’m out of here! And there is no way I’m paying for this room.

Being 30 miles from Gettysburg (the battlefield), I decided to drive there and watch the sun come up from the top of Culp’s Hill and then slowly make my way to the B&W airport. Before heading for the airport, I of course, had to once again walk that hallowed ground where Pickett made his infamous but brave charge towards the men, who would that afternoon, save the Union. And no, my next game is not a Civil War game.

Chacmool

Post by Chacmool » Sat Jan 14, 2017 1:47 am

I am crossing my fingers for an A&A1918 game :-) it would be perfect for the american market since there would be no 4-round-sit and wait downtime for american forces and it would have the same overall momentum like the classic A&A games (axis have to be aggressive and use their military force to win early before the doughboys arrive and change the outcome) could start in march 1918 with the stormtroopers ready for assault in picardy or, if the OHL has other plans in northern italy or even gain ressources in revolutionary russia.. I like the games "the kaisers war 1918-1919" and "hindenburgs war" very much cause they give the players the possibility to explore the many "what ifs" of thst time but sadly without the unique feel of elegant A&A ruling..
Besides that I have just ordered "washington's immortals". As a german I don't know much about this conflict, only what mel gibson has done in it..
Last edited by Chacmool on Sat Jan 14, 2017 1:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Books and bullets have their own destinies"

Ernst Jünger

AC

Post by AC » Sat Jan 14, 2017 6:58 am

I loved the story Larry.

Very very excited about your new game.

Flashman

Post by Flashman » Sat Jan 14, 2017 2:38 pm

Larry wrote: This of course was all a false alarm. Something triggered it - perhaps the Russian tinkering with our power grid.
Or maybe it was that $100 a bag dope you were smoking. Always wondered how you get your ideas for new games...