Larry Help!!!

Got a question that you'd like me to answer?
I'll be checking in on this thread now and then and hope I can answer any questions you may have.
AC

Larry Help!!!

Post by AC » Wed Feb 24, 2016 6:05 am

Larry I'm not sure if you're following the posts but some of the guys are talking about Axis and Allies in Space. This is surely a sign that people are bored and need some promise of a new game.

Flashman

Re: Larry Help!!!

Post by Flashman » Sat Feb 27, 2016 7:33 am

What's wrong with a space game?

Do you need more German infantry?

AC

Post by AC » Tue Mar 01, 2016 6:54 pm

Flashman we have been posting for years. I don't know you personally but I'm sure we both agree that Larry is extremely talented and we want to see a Stalingrad game.

I'll also accept the much rumoured Civil War game.

While taking over the asteroid belt and the Oort Cloud seem interesting, albeit odd I would rather see a historical game.

Flashman

Post by Flashman » Wed Mar 02, 2016 4:09 pm

My inspiration is Conquest of the (Roman) Empire. We know from photos that Larry was/is working on a new edition of this, and I have several ideas about making this a better (and more historical) game.

In lieu of any new information, I drifted into thinking about the parallels that frequently occur in historic cycles, and how humanity spreading out from the Solar System might mirror the conquests of the Romans, who thought of themselves as superior to "barbarians" in much the same way as humans might consider it their manifest destiny to dominate the galaxy.

The "motherships" of my design mirror the Roman Legions, the option of befriending (client states) or conquering the alien worlds the methods of Roman expansion, the three eras of the game represent the rise, division and eventual fall of the Empire, which in COTE can be arranged around Larry's inflation mechanic (in this case the eventual scarcity of iron ore would trigger economic decline).

Finally waves of alien migrants overrun the human empire which has become too depressed and divided to fend them off.

A "Space" game therefore need no be mere fantasy, but can reflect human politics and war as much as any historical period.