Axis and Allies in Space (Home)

Got a question that you'd like me to answer?
I'll be checking in on this thread now and then and hope I can answer any questions you may have.
Flashman

Axis and Allies in Space (Home)

Post by Flashman » Thu Jan 28, 2016 8:00 pm

With no news regarding the new version of COTE, I'd like to suggest using the same basic mechanic (plus my own proposed improvements such as the Veterans and Leaders systems) for a "New Roman Empire in Space" game.

That is, up to 6 human factions expanding from Earth and the Solar system into space, then competing with each other for control, then eventually (in the 3rd or 4th era) falling back before waves of Barbarians i.e. Aliens.

Yes, there are many games out there along these lines such as Twilight Imperium and the new Star Wars Rebellion; but I think a relatively light wargame version (i.e. without all the trade and diplomacy) would still have a market.

I would follow the example of 1914 of "less is more", that is relatively few unit types. Why have 6 types of spaceship when 2 will do everything you need?

Imperious leader

Re: Axis and Allies in Space (Home)

Post by Imperious leader » Sat Jan 30, 2016 6:37 pm

yep lets do it.
We really need an Axis and Allies World War one game so i can play that on August 1st, 2014.

Flashman

Post by Flashman » Wed Feb 03, 2016 6:30 pm

Few sketches:
Attachments
HomeMap2.PNG
HomeMap2.PNG (103.83 KiB) Viewed 4680 times

Flashman

Post by Flashman » Sat Feb 06, 2016 3:52 pm

Suggested Units:

Assuming 2-6 player factions along the lines of COT(R)E

Infantry
Cost: 3 Fight @ 1

I’m working on the basis that defensive bonus for infantry depends on the planet terrain type, rather than being automatic “defend at 2”

Veteran (Silver infantry pieces)
Cost: (promoted from Infantry) Fight @ 2

The most important currency in the game; there should be only about 30 available. You cannot develop your systems without veterans.

Rover (Tank)
Cost: 6 Fight @ 1

Based on the A&A 1914 tank, i.e. deflects one hit when attacking.

Spinner/Saucer (Fighter)
Cost: 6 Fight @ 2

The only combat unit that can participate in ground and space battles.

Satellite Defence (AA Gun)
Cost: 4 Fight at 1 vs invading spaceships only

Mothership
Cost: 20 Fight @ 2 x 3

The only combat unit that can move between planetary systems (2 per turn), it can carry up to 5 fighters and up to 10 ground units, plus cargo. Takes 2 hits to destroy; damaged MS move at 1 and fire only 1 die, and can be repaired at any friendly space port. Can be upgraded by laser (2 x 4) weapons, cloaking device (move through hostile systems), energy shield (absorb 1 hit). Thus, the MS combines the abilities of every A&A ship type in one piece. There should be a maximum of 6 motherships per player; the equivalent of the COTE Legions.

Though they do not participate in ground combat, MS on a planet can be used to evacuate units from battle (retreat). Units attempting to evac must be subjected to a round of pursuit rolls from the enemy; units eliminated in pursuit are considered captured. Leaders become POWs, captured combat units can be absorbed into the victorious legion.

Colony (White)
Cost: 3 Veterans

Creates taxable income for a system and allows placement of new infantry units.

Space Port (White)
Cost: Colony & 3 Veterans

Doubles tax income for a system and allows placement of new mechanical units.

Mine (chit)
Cost: 3
The owning player of a system may build a mine to exploit mineral deposits. During every “collect income” phase he rolls a die for each mine and collects that much cash. For every “1” rolled that operation is considered exhausted and is flipped to indicate this. Each planet can only be mined once.

Leaders (chits)

Each faction has a pool of leaders; draw randomly one leader to be your Imperial candidate (Caesar), plus one to command each of your motherships. When a player takes control of a new system he places a leader there as governor and to indicate control. Each leader has 2 ratings; a political/diplomatic/administrative rating for dealing with Alien contact, and a Military rating for combat (number of die re-rolls per combat round).
The leader governing a colony also commands its garrison (up to five combat units allowed when a mothership is not present).
Alien leader chits indicate which Alien controlled systems are allied to a particular player (Client States).

Remote Probe

Cost 3

Can be sent into unexplored regions to scout contents (planets, Aliens, Black Holes etc.) Can be carried on a MS as cargo.

The equivalent units for Aliens would all be in a generic grey.

Flashman

Post by Flashman » Mon Feb 08, 2016 4:49 pm

Map proposal:

Solar System of 8 planets at centre, each player will have one as "Home" base. Imperial capital Earth is out of bounds to players unless attempting a military coup, in which case the player must defeat the Praetorian Guard permanently station there. Outside this are three "regions" of 16 star systems each, representing those stars closest to Sol.

The actual contents of each system will be random (drawn from a card deck) with most consisting of a planet which is a potential colony. The further out from the sun, the more likely the system is to contain hostile and advanced aliens.

In COTE terms The Solar system and Near Space represent early Roman colonies; Far Space those harder won from powerful enemies such as Gaul and Egypt; Deep Space is the gray border areas from my COTE map (probably only worth occupying if they contain a rich resource (vel Dacia). Outer Space is beyond human control but in the third era becomes the spawning ground for the Alien migrations that eventually overrun the Empire.

Regarding the "cloud belts", I originally envisioned a board in which each regional ring would physically rotate around the centre, but the cloud belts in effect achieve the same result - each is a single tt for movement, and ships must move through them, never stopping in a cloud belt.
Attachments
NewMapstars.PNG
NewMapstars.PNG (53.6 KiB) Viewed 4603 times

Flashman

Post by Flashman » Fri Feb 12, 2016 5:40 pm

Basic Battle Board
Attachments
Battle Board.PNG
Battle Board.PNG (29.52 KiB) Viewed 4576 times

Flashman

Post by Flashman » Sun Feb 14, 2016 4:26 pm

Economic Basics

At the first level I have the following system for income:

Planet in Solar System 15
System in Near Space 10
System in in Far Space 5
System in Deep Space 0

(reflecting cost of transport)

in addition

Each Colony 5
Each Port 5+5 = 10
Working mines produce 1-6 in cash until exhausted

The next level of economy makes a different game, but gives more edge to the combat:

There are five essential resources available; some systems might produce several, others none. I don't much care for wooden cubes, but they're a reasonable way to represent trade items. These are:

1. Fuel (black cubes) mainly available on Gas Giants. Burn up one of these each time a mothership travels between systems.

2. Metal/ Iron Ore (red cubes) on rocky or volcanic worlds. Needed to build mechanical units.

3. Gold (yellow cubes) translates directly into your electronic IPC account (the galaxy still uses the gold standard).

4. Water (blue cubes) from oceanic and ice bound planets is needed to sustain colonies on dry planets.

5. Food (green cubes) to feed populations on human colonies.

During the course of the game some players will attain a surplus or monopoly of some resources, and shortages ot others. Therefore there would be a trading phase for buying/exchanging resource items along with captured leaders and upgrades.

Of course if one player gains a stranglehold on metal loaded planets the others may use their military to restore a natural balance.

Flashman

Post by Flashman » Mon Feb 15, 2016 5:30 pm

Example of an "explored" planet.

The Alien race and planet cards are drawn from separate decks to give new mixes every game.

Jupiter is of course a starting player home planet, used here for illustration. A system giving 4 of the 5 resources would be rare. Four friendly blobs should be an easy conquest, but Aliens might be staggered to produce higher level civilizations further out from Earth.
Attachments
System Demo.PNG
System Demo.PNG (204.34 KiB) Viewed 4526 times