Site Activity

Got a question that you'd like me to answer?
I'll be checking in on this thread now and then and hope I can answer any questions you may have.
timerover51

Site Activity

Post by timerover51 » Mon Aug 03, 2015 3:08 pm

There does not seem to be a lot of activity on the site. No big GenCon announcements, no big Origin announcement, and not a lot of the regulars visiting in the past few months. Looks like only a few here regularly.

Caractacus

Re: Site Activity

Post by Caractacus » Tue Aug 11, 2015 6:05 pm

It's very strange, isn't it?

I am wondering if there will soon be zombies wandering around, tripping over the tumbleweed...
Caractacus.

timerover51

Post by timerover51 » Tue Aug 11, 2015 7:04 pm

Caractacus wrote:It's very strange, isn't it?

I am wondering if there will soon be zombies wandering around, tripping over the tumbleweed...
Hard to say, they might be stumbling over miniatures too.

I see that you are in Finland. I have been studying the Russo-Finnish War of 1939-1940 since I was in the US Army in Alaska, as it directly applied to winter conditions in Alaska. Could you recommend any good books in English that cover more of the tactical operations of the Finnish forces? I have also found some tactics used by the Finns in US Army intelligence reports. Your army was quite inventive.

Has anyone ever tried to recover any of the Russian tanks that were sunk in the lakes in the Karelian Isthmus?

Caractacus

Post by Caractacus » Thu Sep 10, 2015 2:00 pm

Hi, Timerover51!

I'm actually English, but I have lived in Finland for 18 years now, so I am going native... ;)

I have a lot of material on WWII and quite an amount on the Winter War and Continuation War, but many of the works that deal with tactics etc are in Finnish, and many of those in English don#t deal with tactics. I#ll have a look though when I get a moment...

I have translated one book by a university professor here on an Ingrian Finn (ethnically Finnish but a Russian citizen as lived on the Russian side of the border before WWII, as did many others like him) who was sent to spy on Finland but deserted, was nearly shot at court martial by the Finns but then joined
Volunteer Battalion III (Heimopataljoona III) and fought to the end of the war. Subsequently, he had to go into hiding and gain a false identity as the Russians demanded that the security police find everyone in his situation and return then to the USSR...

Not sure about trying to raise tanks - those that went into the sea on either side of the Isthmus are now well inside Russian territory... In other places, plenty of vehicles were salvaged wherever this was possible.

Have to get back to you on this at some point! 8)
Caractacus.