Axis and Allies Nova Games Edition Expansion Rules

Got a question that you'd like me to answer?
I'll be checking in on this thread now and then and hope I can answer any questions you may have.
LyrandisX

Axis and Allies Nova Games Edition Expansion Rules

Post by LyrandisX » Sun Feb 16, 2014 5:03 pm

Remember that old game you made Larry? You created an expansion that had France and China included (the counters for units and flags), what was the expansion rules for those? Do you still remember?

MidnightExpress

Re: Axis and Allies Nova Games Edition Expansion Rules

Post by MidnightExpress » Wed Feb 19, 2014 7:14 am

Always wondered about this myself. Was it going to just be new rules for the additional countries, or a new map as well? Would love to see it updated and released as the next A&A game.

General Haig

Post by General Haig » Thu Feb 20, 2014 7:19 am

Check out the Armchair General site. Look for their board & tabletop gaming section. There is a topic "Axis & Allies : 1939-1945 game review" The review is of AA miniatures but there is a post made at the end in the comments section that might help answer your question.

LyrandisX

Post by LyrandisX » Mon Feb 24, 2014 11:27 am

General Haig wrote:Check out the Armchair General site. Look for their board & tabletop gaming section. There is a topic "Axis & Allies : 1939-1945 game review" The review is of AA miniatures but there is a post made at the end in the comments section that might help answer your question.
All I know is, that there was gonna be a 1939 edition, but it still does not clarify much outside of that

MidnightExpress

Post by MidnightExpress » Tue Feb 25, 2014 6:15 am

Thanks, General Haig.

Your link helped answer some questions, though also opened up new ones. The author doesn't mention if Larry was involved in the design or not, it would be interesting to hear his thoughts and perspective on this.

In the first post the author says there was an Axis double impulse phase (similar to Xeno's World At War) but in the second post he says (in caps) there was no double impulse phase. Since he states that Germany has already conquered Poland at the beginning of the game, I'm not sure the Germans would need a double impulse though it would definitely help Japan make her escape after an attack on Pearl Harbor. I liked the old rule from A&A Pacific where all Allied units defend on a 1 during Japan's first turn so something like that might make a double impulse unnecessary.

The game definitely sounds interesting. The USSR can overrun one independent country each turn, and can enter the war as either an Axis or an Allied power. Those are interesting rules which makes me think there must have been a new game board with several more neutral territories.

The author doesn't say much about China, just that they are at war with Japan. I'm wondering if they were to be an independent power or under the control of the US. It would be interesting if there were two Chinese powers, one controlled by the US player and the other by the Soviet player that could work together or fight one another.

I'm wondering exactly how the US negotiates for the, "independent country production using cash"? Does the US negotiate with the other players in some way or is it just a straight purchase of independent territories? He says the US can enter the war when attacked so it sounds like the US was not allowed to make a first strike on the Axis at all until turn 7, but competes with them by gobbling up some of the territories they're after.

Germany needs to earn 3100 in production by turn 7 or the US enters the war and the game is over. The IPC value of the territories sounds like it was very different in this game. I'd love to see what the map was going to be like.

I liked Xeno's World At War when I first got it in the 90's. The author describes the 1939 A&A expansion game as, "...simple, elegant, and surperior to the Xeno game designed in the 1990′s" and I must admit, it does sound like it could be, or could have been.

Via Armchair General:
"Joseph Angiolillo 1/13/2010
It is interesting to see how far Axis & Allies has come since I redesigned Larry Harris’ original design for publication through Nova Game Designs (I developed the game and designed the combat system and other elements of the game). If you were fortunate enough to have obtained the China and French counter sheet, you will see that I was working on a game which would start in 1939. That game had the double turn for Germany and Japan which were introduced later by other versions..."

Yeah... I see that these comments were written by Joe back in 2010. I think it was around then that Joe offered me $10,000 bucks for my original prototype of Axis & Allies. I of course accepted immediately, and held my hand out. Once I realized that he was totally serious, I gently turned him down. I asked him why he wanted it so badly. He told me that he wanted to put together a presentation and wanted to talk about the development work he had done to the game. It’s been my experience, and I guess it's just human nature, that publishers (and especially their developers) love making changes to games they publish... That’s when it occurred to me that after all these years it turns out that Joe’s lasting legacy in the gaming industry will probably be the few days he helped develop my then just-licensed version of Axis & Allies. Other than all the silly-ass little black submarines and airplanes, all crashing and shooting at each other all over the box cover, OMG, Nova really didn’t take too many liberties with my game concept. For that I am thankful.

I do remember, and yet it was 30 years ago, that Joe told me that the real creative force at Nova, a designer named Al Leonardi, who I loved, had said that the submitted game’s combat system could be improved on. Joe and I discussed some of Al’s ideas. At first I didn’t care for the concept at all and made it clear that I didn’t want to incorporate the changes that were being proposed. But then, working together, we finally came up with a system that we both thought would work out fine. It was left to me to develop the right numbers and values for the various unit types that were in the game back then. The rest is simply revised history... I mean history

Larry Harris :wink:

"Joseph Angiolillo 8/18/2011
The prototype of the 1939 edition was created in 1983 and copywritten in 1984. It stayed in my basement until July 2011 when I dusted it off for one of three seminars I presented at the Board Game Conevention in Lancaster, PA in August 2011 – the one on the Development of Axis and Allies for which I produced a 20 minute DVD. A copy of the 1939 prototype was made and given to one of the attendees. THERE IS NO DOUBLE IMPULSE FOR THE GERMANS OR JAPANESE as the design more closely follows the original Axis & Allies, starting with Germany having overrun Poland and at war with England and France. Japan is a war with China. The Sovidet Union is weak but can come in on either side or conquer up to one independent country per turn. The United States negotiates for independent country production using cash and can enter the game once attacked. If Germany does not obtain 3100 in production territories by turn 7, the game is over, otherwise the United States enters the game. This system is simple, elegant, and surperior to the Xeno game designed in the 1990′s."

http://www.armchairgeneral.com/axis-all ... review.htm

Craig A Yope

Post by Craig A Yope » Tue Feb 25, 2014 4:28 pm

I was there when Joe gave away his original copy of the game map and rules, along with all associated extras, to one lucky gentleman at the end his WBC (World Boardgaming Championships) lecture.

He tried to give it to me, but I said I had more than enough A&A goodies and that someone else should have the pleasure of this unique treasure

MidnightExpress

Post by MidnightExpress » Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:41 am

That sounds awesome, Craig. Do you remember what the map looked like at all? Was it a basic revision of the classic map or something different? What sort of, "associated extras" were included?

Craig A Yope

Post by Craig A Yope » Fri Mar 07, 2014 12:14 pm

MidnightExpress wrote:That sounds awesome, Craig. Do you remember what the map looked like at all? Was it a basic revision of the classic map or something different? What sort of, "associated extras" were included?
It was the Nova Games map.

The "extras" was the info that related to the China/France expansion.