Axis & Allies Victory Conditions

Got a question that you'd like me to answer?
I'll be checking in on this thread now and then and hope I can answer any questions you may have.
Flashman

Re: Axis & Allies Victory Conditions

Post by Flashman » Sun Oct 27, 2013 5:53 am

Any chance of getting the rights to produce the great figures from the Eagle Games version of Conquest?

I'd be hard to improve on those, though you'd need to add some Barbarians...

Larry

Post by Larry » Sun Oct 27, 2013 1:15 pm

Hey Flash...
Two things:
1st. The “great figures” from the Eagles Games version are WAY toooooo big. About twice as big as they should be IMHO.

2nd. With the game being based on a fictitious struggle between 6 major Roman type power centers the game will probably not include Barbarians.

The game’s premise is a 6 way power struggle. A Roman civil war if you will. The game board depicts the Roman Empire as it was in the 2nd century BC.

This game is based on a fictitious struggle between these major power centers and their attempted conquest of the Roman Empire. Military and diplomatic prowess will win you the game.

Imperious leader

Post by Imperious leader » Sun Oct 27, 2013 1:38 pm

1st. The “great figures” from the Eagles Games version are WAY toooooo big. About twice as big as they should be IMHO.
And that makes the map look smaller or they got to pay more for a larger map. The figures don't work for anything. Smaller is the way to go.

But i too would prefer "Rome vs. The Barbarian Hordes" Heck even some map running from western Europe to Japan with all sorts of civilizations fighting to land would be nice. Time-frame of Chinese and Roman civilizations might not jive, but would still be really interesting. Almost like "ancients world war two"
We really need an Axis and Allies World War one game so i can play that on August 1st, 2014.

AC

Post by AC » Sun Oct 27, 2013 3:50 pm

The game sounds really good. I can't wait to play it. Technically the Roman Empire didn't exist in the 2nd century BC as it was a republic but Conquest of the Republic doesn't have the same ring to it.......oh and it's fictitious.

Haha yes I'm being picky. Keep up the good work larry.

Larry

Post by Larry » Sun Oct 27, 2013 4:26 pm

WHY...??? Why can't the dinner served ever be appreciated for what it is?

Barbarian hordes, Japan, The Ming Dynasty , Michael Jackson, the Ringling Bother's Circus. How about including the Dallas Cowboy’s cheerleaders’ too?

Once... just once... try going with the flow and see if you can help it along. You do know that sometimes you don't have to be contrarian to be constructive and appreciated.

Roman Republic.... Roman Empire... give me a break. Did the Romans ever call themselves anything other than a Republic?

Flashman

Post by Flashman » Sun Oct 27, 2013 4:48 pm

What I have in mind is the same basic premise - each player controls a faction within the Roman Empire, each with a leader nominated as Emperor after the death of a previous occupant. This isn't that fictitious; it happened several times in the course of the Empire's history.

The Barbarians would simply be border raiders, probably activated by random event cards. The idea is that each Roman faction would have to keep watch over all their provinces, not just those bordering rival players.
In the first "Era", they would be little more than a nuisance. In the second (after 1st inflation) serious raiders needing a strong response. In Era three Barbarians could over-run large parts of the Empire.

I also really like the idea that each province has the same basic value (5), but increased to 10 if it contains a town, 15 if it has a city. This allows various balanced setups depending on the number of players. On the standard 6 player map I've drawn the capitals (cities) are evenly spaced around the Med, with towns placed 2 spaces between each.

Towns and cities would be developed if controlled, sacked & reduced if captured in combat.

I'm happy the roads seem to have gone; I never really understood how they worked - its better to assume that everywhere in the Empire is connected by road.

I have simple dynastic rules that would make player alliances a lot more interesting. This means that players represent a family dynasty of Roman grandees; after all if there is time for inflation to take effect than the game represents much longer than a single campaign for the title, no?

I also divide the map into Western and Eastern sections; for example a two player game (Rome vs Carthage) would only require the West.

As far as the size of the units is concerned, I tend to think in terms of the legions being marked on the map with a single counter or standard bearer piece, with the actual units in a legion kept on legion cards and then transferred to a battle board when in combat.

I also like Generals having to build up their abilities from scratch, starting at say move 1, re-roll 1 dice in combat up to 4 of each for a "four star" general; extra stars being earned by successfully commanding in a battle. Top Generals rate top ransoms...

Also allow successful legionary units to be promoted to +1 Veteran status for destroying enemy units. You need veterans to build up your cities...

Incidentally, I was thinking that an Eastern expansion map (to the Indus) would be packaged as a game expansion, along with Greek & Persian armies, elephants and B.C. scenarios.

From the spray painted old edition units I'm guessing Larry favours all units in player colours rather than the gold and silver method I prefer.

Of course there is no reason the game can't contain two versions, like the Eagle edition; the classic COTE as a fun light war game, and a bells-and-whistles edition with all the other things as optional extras.
Attachments
MathMap5capitals.PNG
MathMap5capitals.PNG (198.35 KiB) Viewed 5285 times

Larry

Post by Larry » Sun Oct 27, 2013 5:28 pm

I don’t think I want to take the game to the levels that you’re suggesting... Event cards, barbarians ect.... I don’t need it, at least not in this first edition. There are many things I like about your map. For example I like how you linked Sardinia and Corsica (I kn ow that sounds like a small small thing but I find it very interesting ). I like the name Latium as the name of the Province housing Rome. Syria as a capital – really? I see why you made it a capital but I’m not sure how to justify it. I like how every capital has two 10 talent provinces more or less available to them, and if they don’t get at lest one of them their neighbors will. That makes them hotly contested real estate.

AC

Post by AC » Mon Oct 28, 2013 3:58 am

Keep up the great work larry. I wasn't trying to be annoying. I was just trying to sound clever to impress flashman...............!! :lol:

Your games are fantastic. I could never dream to be that talented.