Next axis and allies

Got a question that you'd like me to answer?
I'll be checking in on this thread now and then and hope I can answer any questions you may have.
AC

Re: Next axis and allies

Post by AC » Sat Jul 27, 2013 9:44 pm

Yeah I agree. Vietnam wouldn't really follow the axis and allies dynamic either. All of the games are based on conventional warfare. Guerrilla/Counter Insurgency warfare wouldn't really work. Wars like Vietnam, the Malayan emergency, Iraq and Afghanistan to name a few wouldn't work as well in the axis and allies structure. Just my opinion.

Flashman

Post by Flashman » Sun Jul 28, 2013 6:01 am

It could be argued that Viet Nam, like Afghanistan, is unwinnable for America, due to the American philosophy of war:

UK version: find the enemy's weakest point and attack it with just enough force to do more damage than he does to you. Repeat until you wear down the enemy enough for him to surrender.

US version: identify the enemy's strongest point and hit it with everything you've got, preferably from the air or with long-range artillery. Enemy collapse will follow.

The American version is fine for winning major wars against industrial powers, but fails miserably in the two other wars named above, for reasons which should be obvious. This would be the key to gaming those conflicts.

I don't know why or how you seem to always get under my skin... With that said, Why don't all those Brits in Afghanistan (God bless em by the way) use your stated magic UK version... find the Taliban's weakest point and attack it with just enough force ? Thus winning the bloody war... :roll:

MidnightExpress

Post by MidnightExpress » Sun Jul 28, 2013 9:10 am

As others have suggested, Axis and Allies 1939 could be a good game. It could be in roughly the same scale as A&A 1942 but have some different spaces on the board while including France, Italy, and China as playable nations. I'm picturing something like a better version of Xeno's World at War or a smaller version of Global 1940.

As far as specific battles go, I liked the D-Day game and still play it. Battle of the Bulge and Guadalcanal not so much. The Italian campaign might make for a good A&A game, as well as a North African campaign game. The battle of Midway, Operations Husky and Market-Garden have always been interesting to me, but if the games start to get into smaller battles with a smaller scale it might become more like ASL than A&A.

Much like most others, I'd like another run of A&A Anniversary, but other than that I would really like to see an A&A 1939 game.

Flashman

Post by Flashman » Mon Jul 29, 2013 7:21 pm

The unwinnable game?

Noll

Post by Noll » Sun Aug 04, 2013 5:37 am

I thought, based from ww2 to today, USA's favorite strategy is to bombard cities, stress the civilians so that they grow tired of the war and they dont support it anymore.

I even read it in an american museum of war that the bomber changed the rules of war for the USA.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/ ... 5485_n.jpg

AC

Post by AC » Sun Aug 04, 2013 6:59 am

Without going into detail I think it's a bit more complicated than that. Of course strategic bombing changed warfare but so did the nuclear age. Conventional strategic bombing has massive limitations and has rarely ever effected regime change alone. WWII taught the Allies that with massive conventional bombing raids upon German and Japanese cities.

Imperious leader

Post by Imperious leader » Sun Aug 04, 2013 2:25 pm

Larry will not do any game that uses A-bombs, except the one he already did in the first version of Axis and Allies by nova games.

He is working on the Civil War and that's it.
We really need an Axis and Allies World War one game so i can play that on August 1st, 2014.

Flashman

Post by Flashman » Sun Aug 04, 2013 5:52 pm

I didn't say our method worked either...

But you have to explain why America can defeat Imperial Japan and Nazi Germany, but gets is arse spanked by Viet Nam: familiar method doesn't work.

Yeah... Fair question. I don't want to get too into this discussion but I suspect the answer has to do with the will of the American people. If they are totally into it and you've managed to piss them off enough... Kiss your "arse" goodbye. It's really not too much about the US's philosophy of war.... its mostly about will and support. I'm sure you agree.
LH

Flashman wrote:It could be argued that Viet Nam, like Afghanistan, is unwinnable for America, due to the American philosophy of war:

UK version: find the enemy's weakest point and attack it with just enough force to do more damage than he does to you. Repeat until you wear down the enemy enough for him to surrender.

US version: identify the enemy's strongest point and hit it with everything you've got, preferably from the air or with long-range artillery. Enemy collapse will follow.

The American version is fine for winning major wars against industrial powers, but fails miserably in the two other wars named above, for reasons which should be obvious. This would be the key to gaming those conflicts.

I don't know why or how you seem to always get under my skin... With that said, Why don't all those Brits in Afghanistan (God bless em by the way) use your stated magic UK version... find the Taliban's weakest point and attack it with just enough force ? Thus winning the bloody war... :roll: