Rules clarification for Axis and Allies 3rd edition

Got a question that you'd like me to answer?
I'll be checking in on this thread now and then and hope I can answer any questions you may have.

Rules clarification for Axis and Allies 3rd edition

Post by 19k » Tue Jun 18, 2013 5:13 am

Larry,

I have played in an Axis and Allies online club for over 10 years now. Recently a debate has arose over the proper use of transports at it relates to the 3rd edition rules.

3rd edition rules as we know were developed for the Hasbro Axis and Allies cd-rom game and the game manual included with it is very unclear. It appears to be a cut-n-paste of the 2nd edition rules with a few minor adjustments/improvements.
New Features in the Axis & Allies Third Edition Rules
● Submerging submarines. Defending submarines can submerge or retreat from combat.
A submerged sub stays in the same sea zone until after combat when it re-surfaces.
● Planes can retreat from an amphibious assault. Fighters and Bombers can now retreat
from an amphibious assault if the battle is going poorly for the attacker.
● Multiple AA guns in one territory. You can now place multiple AA guns within one
territory. However, only one of these AA guns can fire in a turn.
● New naval units can be placed in an enemy-occupied sea zone. You can now place
any of your naval units in a sea-zone that is occupied by enemy-forces. If you do this, combat will occur on your enemy’s turn – unless the enemy moves its units out of the sea zone before the enemy’s combat phase. Note: You still have to place naval units in sea-zones adjacent to one of your Industrial Complexes.
● Western Canada no longer borders on the Atlantic Ocean. This keeps players from being able to move units from the Atlantic ocean directly into Western Canada.
My questions are:

1.) Can you split drops with transports during COMBAT phase?

To include:

Splitting a transport drop to capture two territories (i.e. split drop between South Africa and Madagascar if both are empty)

The practice of dropping 1 infantry to naval bombard a territory during combat phase, then offloading the second infantry into friendly zone on non-combat.

2.) Can a transport, that survives, used as "fodder" during COMBAT phase be used during NON-COMBAT phase to pick up land units and offload them per the "bridge" rule?

Example:

Round 1 Germany attacks the North Sea with 2 subs, 1 transport, 5 fighters, 1 bomber. After the combat phase the German transport survives. Can it pick up two infantry from Finland and offload them into Western Europe per the "bridge" rule?

I know others have commented on this to include Kriegs (thanks btw), and I welcome them, but I wonder if you might be willing to comment on this.

Thank you,

Ken (19k)

Re: Rules clarification for Axis and Allies 3rd edition

Post by 19k » Sat Jul 13, 2013 12:30 pm

Anyone care to comment? Is Larry MIA?

I'll have to go ask Krieghund... but you already did that.

Post by 19k » Mon Aug 26, 2013 3:20 pm

Larry, thank you for responding. This is the reply from Krieghund but I did not know if his rulings are considered "official" rulings. Im not questioning his judgement but since this does impact possible rules changes within a league I play they will require someone of notability.

This is his reply
1. Can a transport move in combat move, then take part in combat, and then after combat is done during noncombat move, pick up 2 infantry from a friendly territory and then offload them to another friendly territory?

It may pick them up, but it may not offload them.

2. Can a transport pick up a unit, then move in combat move, then take part in combat, then after combat is done during noncombat move, pick up 1 more infantry and then offload them both somewhere?

It may either pick up a new unit or offload the original, but it may not do both.

3. Can a transport pick up a unit, then move in combat move, then offload for an amphibious assault, then ALSO the transport takes part in combat too, and then after combat is done during noncombat move, pick up 1 more infantry and then offload them both somewhere?

No. Once a transport offloads, it may not do anything else.

4. Can a single transport drop off to two different territories for 2 different amphibious assaults? � Or can it only drop to separate territories during noncombat?

Per the FAQ, it may only do so in noncombat movement.
So basically, the only time a transport can split its drops in 3rd edition is on NON Combat phase only. It can not split drop to take two unoccupied territories nor can it split drop 1 unit on combat to offshore bombard then unload the second onto a friendly territory on non-combat. If a transport, used a fodder on combat, survives it may only load units that turn. It may not offload them until the following turn.

Do you concur with these findings? Thanks, Ken

Krieghund

Post by Krieghund » Mon Aug 26, 2013 4:14 pm

19k wrote:So basically, the only time a transport can split its drops in 3rd edition is on NON Combat phase only. It can not split drop to take two unoccupied territories nor can it split drop 1 unit on combat to offshore bombard then unload the second onto a friendly territory on non-combat.
Correct.
19k wrote:If a transport, used a fodder on combat, survives it may only load units that turn. It may not offload them until the following turn.
Not exactly. It may either load or offload units after being in combat, but it may not do both.
A&A Developer and Playtester

"War is much more fun when you're winning!" - General Martok

Post by 19k » Tue Aug 27, 2013 4:10 am

right kriegs, sorry I was running the North Sea scenario through my mind when I typed that.

Load or unload but not both :D

Post by 19k » Sat Sep 28, 2013 8:15 am

Larry,

Do you concur with Kriegs findings? This has created a very good debate in my club.

The argument is the rule book doesn't say you "can't split" on combat phase and only gives an example of splitting on non-combat.

My rebuttal is the rulebook clearly states in the example "you must control both territories" pg. 16 2nd edition rule book. This example was left out of the 3rd edition manual (game manual provided with the Hasbro Axis and Allies).

Krieghund

Post by Krieghund » Sat Sep 28, 2013 12:13 pm

From the 2nd Edition FAQ:
Q. Can a transport unload two infantry into two different territories?
A. Yes, but only during noncombat movement. Both territories need to be adjacent to the same sea zone.
A&A Developer and Playtester

"War is much more fun when you're winning!" - General Martok

Post by 19k » Sat Sep 28, 2013 4:17 pm

Thanks Krieg, but was this rule continued into 3rd edition? This is where its in question. The club plays mainly 3rd edition and the only rulebook for 3rd edition is the game manual provided with the Hasbro CD version of Axis and Allies.

This manual was very poorly created. It appears to be a cut-n-paste of the 2nd edition manual, with a few changes listed on page 5, but it is missing some detail.