AAEUROPE1940 and AAPACIFIC1940 CONFIRMED!!!

Got a question that you'd like me to answer?
I'll be checking in on this thread now and then and hope I can answer any questions you may have.
Imperious leader

Re: AAEUROPE1940 and AAPACIFIC1940 CONFIRMED!!!

Post by Imperious leader » Fri Jul 31, 2009 12:56 am

AAE40 begins shortly after Dunkirk. Germany, on its first turn will probably be launching the Battle of France. Belgium, Holland, Denmark and Norway have just been successfully invaded and are occupied.
The Benelux nations all fell in short order following may 10th invasion.

Dunkirk happened in the middle of the battle of France ( this battle started May 10th 1940 and Dunkirk was like early June 1940 ( france falls late june).

I see your point was to allow for france to fall as part of a scripted turn for Germany, because by Dunkirk they had already spend their best efforts to counterattack the Germans at Sedan. The situation from June 5th was very much in the Germans favor.

I am very happy with the results and scope of this new game. I thought AA509 was the best, but now i know this will be the best game ever.

your Mech unit should be able to blitz because at 4 IPC and a 1-2-2 unit its a little weak. I think i will give them a boost with artillery +1 and also boost artillery +1 on movement at 1:1 basis.

So if a mech is moving with artillery id make them both 2-2-2-4 units. That would be my house rule.

I don't think i can sleep any more thinking about these games....
We really need an Axis and Allies World War one game so i can play that on August 1st, 2014.

questioneer

Post by questioneer » Fri Jul 31, 2009 1:21 am

Any paper money? Actual battle boards and charts?- Material quality like AA50
Gotta check these days y'know. :wink:

Kamikazees, Blockhouse rule, Paratroopers???

Tech or NOs???

How does the connectivity of the games function???

What will the approx. cost of the games be?

Can neutrals attack or just defend???

Victory conditions???

What separate powers involved in AAP40? AAE40? (Ones with their own sculpts)??

What will the dimensions of the boards be???

Are there more territories and/or sea zones in these versions?

Wow, I am already impressed and no pics yet- unbelievable!!!
:D

Can we have some pics yet???- C'mon you're making us drool!!! :P :D

Larry

Post by Larry » Fri Jul 31, 2009 12:42 pm

Hey Godfather… go ask your spy.

Just joking - Let me answer your laundry list in the following way:
I think paper money is a thing of the past. If you presently have some and like them, then by all means guard them with your life and use them. Otherwise, there will be a tracking page in the rule book (I think).
Kamikazes – yep. Blockhouse and paratrooper rules…not decided yet.
No tech, but there will be NOs. Actually – there well be tech but it will only be used in what I’m calling the “Global game”.
I don’t get into cost issues.
Connectivity… interesting word. There will be a seamless “connectivity”.
I think I’m only going to let Sweden attack Norway. There seems to be a lot of animosity in that part of the world (inside joke).
Victory conditions will be based on Victory Cities and capturing of capitals.
At this point it is a little bit difficult to define what exactly a power is. Sometimes a power has its own sculpts and sometimes a power is represented by the color of its sculpts and sometimes a power is represented by a combination of dedicated sculpts and color. But if you want to know which powers have their own “Income/economy”, they are:
US
UK
Russia
France
China
Australia/New Zealand (ANZAC)
Germany
Japan
Italy
Your questions go on… Size of the board… BIG (that’s all you’re going to get out of me for the moment). No, REALLY big would be more accurate. There is a completely new map lay out with many more territories and many more sea zones.

johnnymarr

Post by johnnymarr » Fri Jul 31, 2009 12:58 pm

thanks for all the early info Larry. Everything you do for us is appreciated!

Larry

Post by Larry » Fri Jul 31, 2009 1:16 pm

Johnnymarr... My pleasure.
I'd like to correct a misconception I see floating around out there. AAP40 is not coming out in 2010. It's coming out this year (2009). AAE40 will be released in 2010.
AAP40 This Christmas. Happy holidays!

AAE40 Summer '10

squirecam

Post by squirecam » Fri Jul 31, 2009 1:35 pm

Larry wrote:Hey Godfather… go ask your spy.

Just joking - Let me answer your laundry list in the following way:
I think paper money is a thing of the past. If you presently have some and like them, then by all means guard them with your life and use them. Otherwise, there will be a tracking page in the rule book (I think).
Kamikazes – yep. Blockhouse and paratrooper rules…not decided yet.
No tech, but there will be NOs. Actually – there well be tech but it will only be used in what I’m calling the “Global game”.
I don’t get into cost issues.
Connectivity… interesting word. There will be a seamless “connectivity”.
I think I’m only going to let Sweden attack Norway. There seems to be a lot of animosity in that part of the world (inside joke).
Victory conditions will be based on Victory Cities and capturing of capitals.
At this point it is a little bit difficult to define what exactly a power is. Sometimes a power has its own sculpts and sometimes a power is represented by the color of its sculpts and sometimes a power is represented by a combination of dedicated sculpts and color. But if you want to know which powers have their own “Income/economy”, they are:
US
UK
Russia
France
China
Australia/New Zealand (ANZAC)
Germany
Japan
Italy
Your questions go on… Size of the board… BIG (that’s all you’re going to get out of me for the moment). No, REALLY big would be more accurate. There is a completely new map lay out with many more territories and many more sea zones.
I would just want a larger sea zone so that the USA trip is no longer a 1-2 shuck to Europe. Quite tired of that.

So far though, your answers have increased my interest in this game.

Imperious leader

Post by Imperious leader » Fri Jul 31, 2009 2:43 pm

Thats good news Larry, but i really think you need to return the blockhouse to the game. You need it for the Maginot Line line and the Siegfried line, plus Singapore, perhaps Gibraltar, Malta, Tobruk, and possibly france to simulate the "Atlantic Wall"

These are defenders against sea invasion only and fire first twice at 3 and cost 6, they cannot be captured and are destroyed like any other unit. They do not move.

For that border of france and Germany where two distinct fortifications are located special rules prevent hits from enemy units unless they roll a one..

So if the Germans want to attack France thru the Maginot, only a roll of one will cause a hit, while the france get to roll normal.

This is KISS.
We really need an Axis and Allies World War one game so i can play that on August 1st, 2014.

Flashman

Post by Flashman » Fri Jul 31, 2009 3:00 pm

Flashy's ten proposals for a new AAE:

(many of these apply to AAP or indeed any other version)

1. No capture-the-capitol rules
No matter what other incentives you give players, the ability to grab a player's money AND close down his industry by capturing one territory will always mean that the game comes down to just this, regardless of VCs, NOs etc. AAE is particularly plagued by this, in fact the game is broken by it.

2. More logical land movement
Another reference to the German Super-stack: build a mass of infantry, then build a pile of tanks; because infantry takes longer to march to the front line...
In fact all land units would arrive at the front at the same time - when the trains get there.
So:
1. combat movement with land units moving one space only
2. non-combat movement with land units moving an unlimited distance by rail
3. combat.
This would allow Germany to switch units from one front to the other on mass, but because train movement is non-combat only the enemy always has one turn to respond.
Tanks should only have one mp into combat, but I allow tank breakthroughs rather than "blitzing".

3. No use of captured factories.
When France was liberated it was supplied with American equipment; it was far cheaper to ship this from America than re-establish a war economy in France.

4. Collect income first.
So no paper money needed. Glad to see that this is becoming the standard.

5. A wider Atlantic.
Give the Germans a chance to win in this theatre. If the Allies can hop across the pond in one turn they can forget it. This was the closest the Axis came to winning the real war.

6. Ships in Port.
It's too easy to destroy expensive naval units by air attack. Allow ships to take refuge in land areas. This is simple to implement and works very effectively.

7. No western units in eastern Europe.
The "patriotic war" rule doesn't stop the Allies piling units into Russia to save Moscow. They shouldn't be permitted to land units east of Germany/Yugoslavia. Also the western Allies and USSR should have individual victory conditions; they have a common enemy but are also competing against each other.

8. Correct shape to Eastern Europe
Love to see Poland, Belarus, PRIPET, Moscow etc in their correct geographical location. The Soviets should also have a factory in the remote Urals region, or at least in a 1940 scenario the option to evacuate a factory there. By rail, of course.

9. The Pripet marsh.
The most important geographical feature on the eastern front, indeed the whole campaign was shaped around it. I suggest only infantry can enter. Ties in very nicely with partizan rules.

10. Aesthetically nicer Italy.
Light gray pieces, please. And use the correct insignia, not the Allied roundels, which is rather like the USA using the Confederate battle flag.

VICHY - this is probably the most difficult thing to implement if you start the game with France undefeated.

Neutrals rules sound very interesting; my guesses:

Pro-Allied:
USA
Portugal
Yugoslavia
Greece

Pro-Axis:
Spain
Hungary
Finland
Slovakia
Romania