AAEUROPE1940 and AAPACIFIC1940 CONFIRMED!!!

Got a question that you'd like me to answer?
I'll be checking in on this thread now and then and hope I can answer any questions you may have.
Larry

Re: AAEUROPE1940 and AAPACIFIC1940 CONFIRMED!!!

Post by Larry » Fri Jul 31, 2009 8:19 pm

Wow... lots of comments.
Flashman - you're so haard... But man do you have good ideas.
Part of the reason I hesitate to post game details is basically because everything is so easily put down or misunderstood. This can be dangerous from a marketing point of view. A bad (unjustified) buzz can be very damaging. Why risk it? On the other hand good ideas and proposals that end up making the product even better have simply got to be listened to. There always seems to be a better way to do this or that rather then the way I ended up doing this or that. In any case I'll be addressing most of your comments in a short time. Be gentle with me people, be gentle. I have feelings and passions that match your own. I also have restrictions and realities that I must design to and within. Just once... Just once, I wish I could hear about the things some of you like (whine whine whine) I must admit, however, I am constantly deeply impressed with the Axis & Allies population out there. I’ll see what I can do to make these games even better and I can’t think of a better source than you guys. At this stage AAP40 is pretty much wrapped up. It is scheduled for a 4th quarter launch this year. AAE40 is being designed as we speak, however. Still, design precedents established in AAP40 must be continued into AAE40. Not that that's a bad thing, but it sometimes prevents certain design directions to be pursued. Thanks.

Imperious leader

Post by Imperious leader » Fri Jul 31, 2009 8:25 pm

oh forgot to add. Just wondering if the factory and AA guns will be the same or new?
We really need an Axis and Allies World War one game so i can play that on August 1st, 2014.

questioneer

Post by questioneer » Sat Aug 01, 2009 1:23 am

Aww Larry, poor Larry, I still think you make great games!

Don't cry, just don't listen to these PRICKS who criticize so much!!! :D

Larry

Post by Larry » Sat Aug 01, 2009 1:39 am

Thanks Questionmark... I knew you'd understand. You're not like all the others...

Constantinople

Post by Constantinople » Sat Aug 01, 2009 7:31 am

OK my 2 cents worth:

will fortress Malta be a factor in AAEurope?

please, have Cairo as a victory city and eliminate Ottawa

I'd like to see fortresses and redoubts ie Gibraltar, Malta, Normandy, Moscow
at a cost of course in Normandy, Moscow; but already built-in for Gibraltar/Malta

oh, almost forgot, have mercy on us color-challenged people with the units colors!!!!

Thanks again Larry.

I'll tell you, it is great to once again look forward to new AA games and it is also great to be able to get your ideas and thoughts about the games as they develop or progress towards publication!

These games are fun to play and it is just the same following this AA community online in this forum and others discussing your games.

It is a remarkable and enthusiastic community that has developed around the AA games.

Congrats and thanks again for all the hours of fun and diversion!!

Larry

Post by Larry » Sat Aug 01, 2009 11:55 am

will fortress Malta be a factor in AAEurope?

please, have Cairo as a victory city and eliminate Ottawa
Con: thanks...
Cairo is a victory city now. I'm not removing Ottawa but in fact leaving it. I'm not sure it will survive playtesting but that's my intention at this point.

Fortress Malta. You bet! How to turn it into a "fortress". Any dedicated push by the Axis would eventually cause its fall. Calling it a fortress is probably a misnomer. It would require this "dedicated push" I'm talking about to take it over however. The island sits smack dab between Libya and Italy (Southern Italy actually) and causes some big problems for the Axis, as it historically did. Maybe it can win another George Cross. Perhaps, as I strive to capture this sort of thing in my designs, it will once again be, as Roosevelt called it..one tiny bright flame in the darkness.
have mercy on us color-challenged people with the units colors!!!!
Often these kind of things fall outside my control. I'll see what I can do.

jim010

Post by jim010 » Sat Aug 01, 2009 12:52 pm

Just once, I wish I could hear about the things some of you like
I like that France is a separate entity with a blue colour. I like how the existing rules allow for France to stay in the game but not collect money, and how this mimmicks the Free French. Will there be a Vichy France, though?

I like that Italy is a separate entity (change its colour, though, to a light green so I can tell them apart from the Russian units?).

I like that you added more territories to hopefully give more options to entering Russia.

I like that there is a Tac/torpedo/dive bomber.

I like that Japan can win through capturing Victory Cities, instead of Victory Points - good change. This will feel like more of a win to me than the VPs.

I loved supply from Battle of the Bulge. Will there be anything like that here?

Still, I need to know ...

Why was starting in 39 dropped? Will you consider including a 39 set-up, or give one down the road?

Does ANZAC have its own colour? Is ANZAC only in Pacific? Was Canada also considered to be separate?

Are there convoys, and will they be the same or different from before?

Cheers
"Pain? Pain is like love ... like compassion. It is a thing for lesser men. What is pain to Doom?" Doctor Doom

Imperious leader

Post by Imperious leader » Sat Aug 01, 2009 1:22 pm

Fortress Malta. You bet! How to turn it into a "fortress". Any dedicated push by the Axis would eventually cause its fall. Calling it a fortress is probably a misnomer. It would require this "dedicated push" I'm talking about to take it over however. The island sits smack dab between Libya and Italy (Southern Italy actually) and causes some big problems for the Axis, as it historically did. Maybe it can win another George Cross. Perhaps, as I strive to capture this sort of thing in my designs, it will once again be, as Roosevelt called it..one tiny bright flame in the darkness.
This reconnects the bridge from the first design you created as 1942, which did have Malta. Malta and Tobruck were huge to pinning the Italians down for most of the war.

Using the blockhouse unit from D-Day will present the possibility of both the German to built an Atlantic Wall that was only in the early states of being. The Japanese can use them as pillboxes to symbolize the built up network of tunnels and structures to defend the outpost islands. The Allies have the most extensive fortifications including Sevastopol, Singapore, Gibraltar, and Tobruck.

I really hope your games include some ports to protect the axis fleet from total annihilation at sea. Using the same rules from AAP they will fit in nicely.

Also, i hope that subs can soak off a nations economy like we have in AARHE and allow them to perform an SBR on the sea ( 50% damage rate).
We really need an Axis and Allies World War one game so i can play that on August 1st, 2014.